Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Morbid but important

Morbid but important

Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Nimco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Morbid but important

Ok so this is a bit morbid but I want to make sure we have the right plans in place for my kids if my husband and I were both to die together in a traffic accident or something, as we have no relatives in US. If it happened, my sister would fly out from UK as soon as she could and I have a local friend I could ask to take them in the meantime but could the state take my kids into care in the interim? i seem to remember someone telling me once that that can happen and if so it can take a long time for your relatives to get them out of the care system once they are in it. But this may have been a different state? - we are in California. Is there anything I should do legally to make sure my sister can be their guardian and just take them back with her to UK? Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morbid but important

Originally Posted by Nimco
Ok so this is a bit morbid but I want to make sure we have the right plans in place for my kids if my husband and I were both to die together in a traffic accident or something, as we have no relatives in US. If it happened, my sister would fly out from UK as soon as she could and I have a local friend I could ask to take them in the meantime but could the state take my kids into care in the interim? i seem to remember someone telling me once that that can happen and if so it can take a long time for your relatives to get them out of the care system once they are in it. But this may have been a different state? - we are in California. Is there anything I should do legally to make sure my sister can be their guardian and just take them back with her to UK? Thanks
Sorry I can't help you but there has been a few similar threads. While you're waiting for replies...why don't you use the BE search engine and take a read through them?