Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

monthly rental homes in Manchester -- rents seem low

monthly rental homes in Manchester -- rents seem low

Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: monthly rental homes in Manchester -- rents seem low

Originally Posted by johnh009
Personally, I do not find the UK as expensive as many people make out. Okay, some things are some are not but overall it is reasonable comparitively.
I've said that pretty much since I moved to Canada to be honest, the UK economy is designed to support the population and isn't as open to shameless profiteering as the North American economies appear to be, also it is very cheap for consumer goods now thanks for the competition from the supermarkets etc although I personally think that cannot be sustained forever.

North America has more loopholes for taxation and renters can get a good deal on utilities and property taxes etc and there is the obviously cheaper petrol if you run a car but those are pretty much it.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How do you manage that? Our 3 bed UK house costs us a min. of $50 and it's empty most of the time.

I won't even mention how much gas and electricity costs us (US).
I think that you could be paying a premium in the States for the inconvenience and additional costs to the utility companies of pipelining properties outside the metropolitan areas though since it is common there for next door neighbours to often have a mile between them on either side.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

How do you manage that? Our 3 bed UK house costs us a min. of $50 and it's empty most of the time.

I won't even mention how much gas and electricity costs us (US).
My figures are only based on 1 year with a mild winter, the gas was 400 and the electric 200 (for 2 of us). The worst quarter was 200 and the other 200 spread over the other 3 quarters.

My neighbours are telling me that their total energy bills are around 650 pounds a year living in new, well insulated homes with double glazing, etc. so I believe that my figures are close.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Good to know you saw sense and came home

Yes, I lived in Ilkley for a few years before we left and loved it there. I was at college there back when it was still open. Now it's been turned into flats.
Are there any institutions left in England.. or has everything been sensitively converted into luxury residential developments, with the approval of the Prince of Wales? We are looking at a couple of different gorgeous places to buy a flat in the west country, both old mental hospitals. Just looking forward to the conversational gambit, "oh.. we've moved into the Lunatic Asylum."
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think that you could be paying a premium in the States for the inconvenience and additional costs to the utility companies of pipelining properties outside the metropolitan areas though since it is common there for next door neighbours to often have a mile between them on either side.
I live in NJ...the most populated state in the US.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
My figures are only based on 1 year with a mild winter, the gas was 400 and the electric 200 (for 2 of us). The worst quarter was 200 and the other 200 spread over the other 3 quarters.

My neighbours are telling me that their total energy bills are around 650 pounds a year living in new, well insulated homes with double glazing, etc. so I believe that my figures are close.
We had double glazing and a well insulated house. The central heating boiler was turned down low...so it would only kick in when it was very cold in winter.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robin1234
Are there any institutions left in England.. or has everything been sensitively converted into luxury residential developments, with the approval of the Prince of Wales? We are looking at a couple of different gorgeous places to buy a flat in the west country, both old mental hospitals. Just looking forward to the conversational gambit, "oh.. we've moved into the Lunatic Asylum."
That's about it. In Ilkley, Yorkshire, the former mental hospital has been turned into a housing development and the hotel in the city centre has been coverted into flats. The rest become health clubs and places masquarading as restaurants.

Last edited by johnh009; Feb 21st 2012 at 2:55 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I live in NJ...the most populated state in the US.
Bang goes that theory then.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Some truth in that in my case, we don't have gas because we're out in the sticks. So we have an electric water heater and oil for the furnace, whereas most British homes seem to have modern, efficient integrated gas for central heating & hot water. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to moving from the US to England is to be able to move from the 19th century to the 21st in one fell swoop. I'm about fed up with cutting and hauling firewood and writing checks to mom & pop oil delivery company every couple of weeks..
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've said that pretty much since I moved to Canada to be honest, the UK economy is designed to support the population and isn't as open to shameless profiteering as the North American economies appear to be, also it is very cheap for consumer goods now thanks for the competition from the supermarkets etc although I personally think that cannot be sustained forever.

North America has more loopholes for taxation and renters can get a good deal on utilities and property taxes etc and there is the obviously cheaper petrol if you run a car but those are pretty much it.
What I do find that there is range of prices in the UK, stores such as Aldi's and Lidl's have really driven down their prices and I can go to Waitrose and pay top whack.

Generally, I found when I lived in Canada, petrol and energy were cheaper but you needed more of it.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Some truth in that in my case, we don't have gas because we're out in the sticks. So we have an electric water heater and oil for the furnace, whereas most British homes seem to have modern, efficient integrated gas for central heating & hot water. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to moving from the US to England is to be able to move from the 19th century to the 21st in one fell swoop. I'm about fed up with cutting and hauling firewood and writing checks to mom & pop oil delivery company every couple of weeks..
My sentiments exactly, that's why we bought a new home. It has a roof that will last longer than I will, windows that don't need painting and a managable garden. We live close enough to the country so I can go and watch the ducks on someone else's pond if I wish. As mentioned, the insulation on the new homes in the UK has improved dramatically and will save you a fortune on heating costs. The solar panel system also allows you to sell to the grid.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Bang goes that theory then.
NJ has the most expensive utilities/property taxes/auto insurance/healthcare insurance in the US...not to mention property prices as it's in the NYC met area. That's why most retirees get out of the state as soon as they can.