Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

monthly rental homes in Manchester -- rents seem low

monthly rental homes in Manchester -- rents seem low

Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: monthly rental homes in Manchester -- rents seem low

Originally Posted by chris955
Why ? I know lots of people in the UK and they dont pay HUGE energy bills. As for car running cots most people drive sensible cars with good economy.
I am currently working in the UK on a short-term contract (live in California) and am well aware of the cost to run small and medium sized-cars. eg 90 quid plus to fill the tank, need 3 tanks a fortnight for a 25 mile each way commute.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
On our return to the U.K and "The North" I was surprised by how many Southerns actually lived and worked in the North West, it was certainly not like that when we left the UK 12 years previously. Our neighbours here are from "Down South" and there are quite a few that live in our neighbourhood as well,you only have to go into our local Coffee shops in our High Street to hear the mixed accents. I did ask the builder (he was from Hampshire) we used when we first arrived back ?how come so many Southerners have made the move North"...he said a few reasons,its cheaper,a bit slower (I did not take offence lol) and he said for him he liked the people and liked the countryside on your doorstep which was easy to get to. Being a Northerner myself we did think of heading South when we made the move back home mainly to try something different, the weather is a bit better, being near to the south coast and France etc...but all in all its swings and roundabouts lol...what you gain in one hand you lose in the other, so for now we are quite happy in the North and to travel and see the rest of the U.K (we are off to the English Riviera next week) .....good luck
There is another reason as well, a lot of businesses and public sector organisations are moving out of the capital because of the costs involved there.

At a place in which I worked in Manchester a few years ago, there was an entire team who had all been migrated up from the London office one year previous, some of whom against their wishes, but they were given the option of either 'move with your job or face redundancy' and because it was the public sector and most of them still wanted the pension/benefits etc, they decided to take the relocation option.

Even the BBC have started to move a lot of their operations up to the North West from London now.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
There is Broadband in Buxton....our son is at Uni there and they have no problem...plus he has friends in Bakewell and other surrounding villages and they all have Broadband. I voted Liberal in Aus and I vote Conservative here in the U.K...I am from a working class background but that does not always mean you have to vote for Labour etc. You should be able to vote with who you think will do right by you and yours and getting the Country back on track is a bonus....
Pretty much everywhere in Britain these days will have broadband in some form or another, the difficulty is finding an area which supports Cable or a high speed DSL service like BeThere which most do not, meaning that you end up being stuck with the mostly crappy ADSL providers and also sometimes paying more for the privilege.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Peckforton Castle is a fabulous place for a wedding. We had dinner there last Christmas when we were in the UK. Pity about the fire.

Is the new M&S at Cheshire Oaks ready yet...their largest store after Marble Arch?
I did not go last week, I am going this Wednesday, Starbucks Coffee on arrival.....a bit of shopping, the M&S new store should be open it was being refitted last time we visited, then off to Frankie and Benny's for lunch (I love their Chicken Pasta dish) and a movie to see Lady in Black.......I make it a full day out when I go. The Wedding was very nice the Castle is in a lovely setting...personally I did not like the inside of the Castle....too dark and musty, the food was nice.....the Eaton Mess we had for desert was bliss....lol...
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Pretty much everywhere in Britain these days will have broadband in some form or another, the difficulty is finding an area which supports Cable or a high speed DSL service like BeThere which most do not, meaning that you end up being stuck with the mostly crappy ADSL providers and also sometimes paying more for the privilege.
Yes! It's true that everywhere has 'broadband' but in most cases that means speeds well below those advertised and often not enough to even have 2 people online at the same time without everything grinding to a halt. But just when I had given up hope of being able to live in the countryside, we found a small village in Cheshire that actually does have Virgin cable and the house we're looking at it is already wired for it, so maybe I will still get my wish. But most rural properties in the UK are lucky to get speeds of 4MB and most only get 1 or 2MB.

It's the same in rural areas of the US of course, it's just that I've never lived in one of them so I've never run across the problem before.

We actually looked at Buxton - some parts have decent speeds and some are just awful. Depends on the street.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 21st 2012 at 11:49 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
Why ? I know lots of people in the UK and they dont pay HUGE energy bills. As for car running cots most people drive sensible cars with good economy.
I live in a 4 bedroom home and pay just short of 600 pounds a year total for gas and electric which is less than what I was paying in Canada. It is a new home however and well insulated which makes a difference.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I live in a 4 bedroom home and pay just short of 600 pounds a year total for gas and electric which is less than what I was paying in Canada. It is a new home however and well insulated which makes a difference.
Our 4 bedroom house in northern New York, we probably pay at least $8,000 a year for electricity + home heating oil. (No gas.) It is a rambling old 19th century pile, however, much bigger than we need now that it's just the two of us.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Our 4 bedroom house in northern New York, we probably pay at least $8,000 a year for electricity + home heating oil. (No gas.) It is a rambling old 19th century pile, however, much bigger than we need now that it's just the two of us.
Same for us (old house, lots of draughts) although our bills are even higher but that's because I keep it like a sauna in here. The idea of only paying £600 a year blows my mind.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Same for us (old house, lots of draughts) although our bills are even higher but that's because I keep it like a sauna in here. The idea of only paying £600 a year blows my mind.
Hi Robin and Sally. I can imagine that some of the older homes in the UK are also expensive to heat (and maintain) but they have really stepped up the minimum insulation requirements for the newer homes. We were renting a 1970s home which was also like an ice box. Personally, I do not find the UK as expensive as many people make out. Okay, some things are some are not but overall it is reasonable comparitively. Now, I am in Yorkshire so I am sure parts of the south are more expensive. You can also go the solar panel route and export back into the grid and actually get a cash return if you wish.

Last edited by johnh009; Feb 21st 2012 at 1:42 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We keep ours 58 degrees at night and never higher than 64 degrees during the day.. not quite a sauna!!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:59 pm
Finally Home!

We keep ours 58 degrees at night and never higher than 64 degrees during the day.. not quite a sauna!!
Spoken like a true Englishman!

Whenever we go home, I'm always amazed at how cold everyone's house is. I plan to have the warmest house in England

Now, I am in Yorkshire so I am sure parts of the south are more expensive. You can also go the solar panel route and export back into the grid and actually get a cash return if you wish.
Did you move? I thought you were in the Malverns? Or I could have confused you with someone else - sorry if I did.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you move? I thought you were in the Malverns? Or I could have confused you with someone else - sorry if I did.
I was, I bought a place in Guiseley, near Ilkley, your area I believe?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:14 pm
Finally Home!

Good to know you saw sense and came home

Yes, I lived in Ilkley for a few years before we left and loved it there. I was at college there back when it was still open. Now it's been turned into flats.

I wanted to rent there when we returned, but at the moment there's nothing available that suits our needs.

Sorry to hijack the Manchester thread but what's Guiseley like as a place to live?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good to know you saw sense and came home

Yes, I lived in Ilkley for a few years before we left and loved it there. I was at college there back when it was still open. Now it's been turned into flats.

I wanted to rent there when we returned, but at the moment there's nothing available that suits our needs.

Sorry to hijack the Manchester thread but what's Guiseley like as a place to live?
Nice area, close to Leeds and the country (plus Ilkley, Harrogate, York). Has a rail station. I PM you with further details so as not to hijack the thread.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
How do you manage that? Our 3 bed UK house costs us a min. of $50 and it's empty most of the time.

I won't even mention how much gas and electricity costs us (US).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.