Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Originally Posted by N1cky
Aren't they in breach of the contract waiting that long? And, why is it an insurance job?
apparantly the A/C unit is covered by the insurance. but the insurance company need two opinions as to why the A/C doesnt blow out cold air
so with that in mind we are still waiting for these engineers to come round the house give their valid opinions and then if they report that the a/c unit needs replacing the insurance company will reimburse the homeowner and then we can get a new unit! very strange!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
thanks everybody! i think i will contact the realtor who we went through to talk about our options. We feel like we're half dying in the house
The landlord has a duty to maintain the premises in "habitable" condition.

See http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...problems.shtml

Unfortunately lack of air conditioning is not specifically called out as something that would render a property uninhabitable, although you could still try making that argument and hope that the landlord can be made to agree. Failing that you will probably have to go back to the terms of your lease to determine what you can get the landlord to do.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everybody! i think i will contact the realtor who we went through to talk about our options. We feel like we're half dying in the house
What a nightmare

Not sure where you stand but I would have thought this would be an emergency.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

apparantly the A/C unit is covered by the insurance. but the insurance company need two opinions as to why the A/C doesnt blow out cold air
so with that in mind we are still waiting for these engineers to come round the house give their valid opinions and then if they report that the a/c unit needs replacing the insurance company will reimburse the homeowner and then we can get a new unit! very strange!
Originally Posted by md95065

Unfortunately lack of air conditioning is not specifically called out as something that would render a property uninhabitable, although you could still try making that argument and hope that the landlord can be made to agree. Failing that you will probably have to go back to the terms of your lease to determine what you can get the landlord to do.
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l.../repairs.shtml

This talks about repairs in more detail, it mentions 2 days maybe a reasonable time to repair for lack of heat, maybe it works the other way too. Regardless, it says 30 days should be sufficient time to make repairs.

I would definately contact the realtor.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most states will have something about the landlord being responsible for getting all repairs done within a reasonable amount of time, certainly within 30 days for large stuff.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by md95065

oh thank you i will use this
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by N1cky
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l.../repairs.shtml

This talks about repairs in more detail, it mentions 2 days maybe a reasonable time to repair for lack of heat, maybe it works the other way too. Regardless, it says 30 days should be sufficient time to make repairs.

I would definately contact the realtor.
thank you
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

No advice here but I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Awful landlords are a real headache. They should have at least gotten you 2 window units the day it broke.