Reload this Page >

Money transfers

Money transfers

Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

CKM8 will become famous soon enoughCKM8 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Money transfers

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Until earlier this year I was doing the same thing - using ATM to get funds from my UK bank account, but the most I ever had to pay was around $2.75 to get $300. Even at the little ATM in the local supermarket it was only a few cents more.

Your $60 fee sounds more like the bank transfer fee I paid when I transferred money to buy the house here. I think that is what is known as "wire transfer". I sent the bank a request using fax, after having arranged for "fax indemnity" and obtaining all the information I'd need before I left the UK. The fee was somewhere between 25 and 30 pounds I think.

If you need to make a bank transfer I'd telephone your UK bank and ask for advice.
Cheers
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
thanks..really appreciate the help.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
I would take care what you tell you UK bank about your move to the States - they may make you close your UK account, or call in any credit cards, loans or mortgages you may have with them

HSBC didn't do anything like that, BigD. I still have both a savings and a current account in the UK, as well as an account with a different bank in the US. I still have a UK HSBC credit card and use it. And HSBC in the US eventually were persuaded to give me an unsecured US credit card because I told them about my relationship with HSBC UK.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
HSBC didn't do anything like that, BigD. I still have both a savings and a current account in the UK, as well as an account with a different bank in the US. I still have a UK HSBC credit card and use it. And HSBC in the US eventually were persuaded to give me an unsecured US credit card because I told them about my relationship with HSBC UK.
Thats good to hear - a couple of the guys i work with had problems with loan and mortgage so i decided to keep quiet to be on the safe side!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Money transfers

Originally Posted by CKM8
Hello,
I am currently withdrawing funds from my bank in the UK at local ATMS. But, they are charging me $60 per transaction of $500. I have just opened an account with Bank of America-is there a cheaper way of getting cash from my account in the UK? Someone mentioned 'Wire transfers' does anyone have any information on them?
Sorry, my mistake..it appears now that a previous transaction hadn't been processed until the same day I took the money out . Thanks..I can see all the transactions now on my internet bank.