British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Money transfer UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/money-transfer-uk-usa-939991/)

Gscq Aug 6th 2021 7:36 pm

Money transfer UK to USA

hello
been stuck in USA for a while now and needing funds.
outside of wire transfer which citibank US said they charge about $15 per incoming amount are there other ways

I do have transferwise (wise) but im unclear if the incoming UK funds would still get charged $15

thanks

SanDiegogirl Aug 6th 2021 8:00 pm

Re: Money transfer UK to USA

Originally Posted by Gscq (Post 13037996)
hello
been stuck in USA for a while now and needing funds.
outside of wire transfer which citibank US said they charge about $15 per incoming amount are there other ways

I do have transferwise (wise) but im unclear if the incoming UK funds would still get charged $15

thanks

In April 2018 you said you were approved for an O visa.....so why are you 'stuck' in the US? ( could return to the UK anytime Covid or not)

durham_lad Aug 6th 2021 8:02 pm

With wise I get an option transfer by wire or use the free method (I forget the acronym). The free method takes longer by a business day or 2, or longer if Federal holidays intervene.

ETA
the free method is called ACH (Automated Clearing House) which would be Wise sending money from their US bank to your US bank.

Gscq Aug 7th 2021 4:23 am

yes the visa was renewed last year but to travel back and forth i need to do the in-person embassy interview to get passport stamp...embassies are not taking appts for that classification and if i leave i cant come back in except as a tourist...so ergo...stuck

Gscq Aug 7th 2021 4:24 am

thanks ill check it out

Floridablues Aug 10th 2021 3:19 pm

I'm need to do the same, as my sister is about to transfer some funds from her bank, either into my TSB UK, or direct to my B of A account. Could anyone help with details on a 'safe' sign up link to transferwise or similar company as I'm hearing there are some scam links out there!!
Thanks.

MidAtlantic Aug 10th 2021 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Floridablues (Post 13039092)
I'm need to do the same, as my sister is about to transfer some funds from her bank, either into my TSB UK, or direct to my B of A account. Could anyone help with details on a 'safe' sign up link to transferwise or similar company as I'm hearing there are some scam links out there!!
Thanks.

This is the link to the Wise (Transferwise) site: https://wise.com/us/

Floridablues Aug 10th 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks for your quick response MidAtlantic. Something else I forgot to mention in my previous post was that a few years ago a London based family used to send me a 'cash' payment for caretaking their vacation home. I used to pick it up from the money centre at Walmart, and always the full amount owed in cash. Would that be a more 'expensive' way to send funds?

MidAtlantic Aug 10th 2021 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Floridablues (Post 13039103)
Thanks for your quick response MidAtlantic. Something else I forgot to mention in my previous post was that a few years ago a London based family used to send me a 'cash' payment for caretaking their vacation home. I used to pick it up from the money centre at Walmart, and always the full amount owed in cash. Would that be a more 'expensive' way to send funds?

I have no knowledge of the Walmart arrangement. Someone else may know.

stuwoolf Sep 7th 2021 3:04 am

I use Travel Wise. Theses days its just called Wise.

It costs 2-3 USD but its always reliable and only takes a couple of days.

works for me🙂