Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Money Transfer from UK to USA

Money Transfer from UK to USA

Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:46 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Money Transfer from UK to USA

Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, and I have posted this question on the partner forum, but I am not sure if that was the right place either.

I am looking at transferring some money from my UK bank account, registered to my old address in the UK, to my husbands US bank account.

I tried setting up an account with USForex and they don't deal in NYS, I tried setting up an account with Post Office International and they can't deal with people living in US at all.

Is there a company I can use that will give me a good exchange rate, low or no fees that can deal with this set-up

Thanks loads
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:10 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfer from UK to USA

xe.com. Good service, cheap, efficient, and effective.

BTW Do not select the "wire" option, your bank will slap you with a wire fee.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:17 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post

I assume I would use bacs from uk account to xe.com
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:23 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r View Post
Yes.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

That's the US end - for the UK end "wire" is the only option IIRC but...

...yes - that's what they mean by "wire" at the UK end.

ACH at the US end works for me.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:58 pm
Back in US & happy!

Yes.
thanks
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:13 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
That's the US end - for the UK end "wire" is the only option IIRC but...

...yes - that's what they mean by "wire" at the UK end.

ACH at the US end works for me.
Thanks for the info - I am hoping the account is set up quickly - I don't have a huge amount of proof I live in US at moment
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I've also used xe.com - good service and decent exchange rate (although I only transfer small accounts so not really that significant)
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info - I am hoping the account is set up quickly - I don't have a huge amount of proof I live in US at moment
I think my XE account was set up in a couple of working days (and about the same time to transfer money). I'm not sure I needed any proof of the US address; just online forms I think. The bit I don't like is entering the bank account details - that gets triple checked - and, when doing a transfer, to XE's account number in the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:42 pm
Back in US & happy!

I think my XE account was set up in a couple of working days (and about the same time to transfer money). I'm not sure I needed any proof of the US address; just online forms I think. The bit I don't like is entering the bank account details - that gets triple checked - and, when doing a transfer, to XE's account number in the UK.
Yeah I think I will be concerned about that too. Thing is I asked the bank how much I would get and compared with other money transfer companies I would lose about $200 - I could do with spending that $200 myself!!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I think I will be concerned about that too. Thing is I asked the bank how much I would get and compared with other money transfer companies I would lose about $200 - I could do with spending that $200 myself!!
Yep, and they might not have included the fixed transfer fees levied by the UK and/or US end too. I think £15 for Lloyds TSB and $15 for Wells Fargo when I made the mistake of doing that once.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:33 pm
Back in US & happy!

Yep, and they might not have included the fixed transfer fees levied by the UK and/or US end too. I think £15 for Lloyds TSB and $15 for Wells Fargo when I made the mistake of doing that once.
Those are expensive fees on top of a bad exchange rate