British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Money Transfer from UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/money-transfer-uk-usa-795038/)

becks_r Apr 24th 2013 2:46 pm

Money Transfer from UK to USA

Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, and I have posted this question on the partner forum, but I am not sure if that was the right place either.

I am looking at transferring some money from my UK bank account, registered to my old address in the UK, to my husbands US bank account.

I tried setting up an account with USForex and they don't deal in NYS, I tried setting up an account with Post Office International and they can't deal with people living in US at all.

Is there a company I can use that will give me a good exchange rate, low or no fees that can deal with this set-up

Thanks loads

Pulaski Apr 24th 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Money Transfer from UK to USA

xe.com. Good service, cheap, efficient, and effective. :)

BTW Do not select the "wire" option, your bank will slap you with a wire fee.

becks_r Apr 24th 2013 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10676208)

I assume I would use bacs from uk account to xe.com

Pulaski Apr 24th 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by becks_r (Post 10676234)

Yes. :)

GeoffM Apr 24th 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10676208)

That's the US end - for the UK end "wire" is the only option IIRC but...

Originally Posted by becks_r (Post 10676234)

...yes - that's what they mean by "wire" at the UK end.

ACH at the US end works for me.

becks_r Apr 24th 2013 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10676253)
Yes. :)

thanks

becks_r Apr 24th 2013 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10676316)
That's the US end - for the UK end "wire" is the only option IIRC but...

...yes - that's what they mean by "wire" at the UK end.

ACH at the US end works for me.

Thanks for the info - I am hoping the account is set up quickly - I don't have a huge amount of proof I live in US at moment

NatashaB Apr 24th 2013 4:24 pm

I've also used xe.com - good service and decent exchange rate (although I only transfer small accounts so not really that significant)

GeoffM Apr 24th 2013 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by becks_r (Post 10676386)
Thanks for the info - I am hoping the account is set up quickly - I don't have a huge amount of proof I live in US at moment

I think my XE account was set up in a couple of working days (and about the same time to transfer money). I'm not sure I needed any proof of the US address; just online forms I think. The bit I don't like is entering the bank account details - that gets triple checked - and, when doing a transfer, to XE's account number in the UK.

becks_r Apr 24th 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10676431)
I think my XE account was set up in a couple of working days (and about the same time to transfer money). I'm not sure I needed any proof of the US address; just online forms I think. The bit I don't like is entering the bank account details - that gets triple checked - and, when doing a transfer, to XE's account number in the UK.

Yeah I think I will be concerned about that too. Thing is I asked the bank how much I would get and compared with other money transfer companies I would lose about $200 - I could do with spending that $200 myself!!

GeoffM Apr 24th 2013 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by becks_r (Post 10676458)
Yeah I think I will be concerned about that too. Thing is I asked the bank how much I would get and compared with other money transfer companies I would lose about $200 - I could do with spending that $200 myself!!

Yep, and they might not have included the fixed transfer fees levied by the UK and/or US end too. I think £15 for Lloyds TSB and $15 for Wells Fargo when I made the mistake of doing that once.

becks_r Apr 24th 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10676541)
Yep, and they might not have included the fixed transfer fees levied by the UK and/or US end too. I think £15 for Lloyds TSB and $15 for Wells Fargo when I made the mistake of doing that once.

Those are expensive fees on top of a bad exchange rate