British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Money Transfer UK to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/money-transfer-uk-us-914919/)

AndyEODV8 Jul 14th 2018 1:20 am

Money Transfer UK to US

Hi Guys,

I am after a few people’s opinions on which company to use to Tranfer money from my UK bank to my US bank. At the moment it is looking like XE as the best rate. As anybody ever used them before?
I have tried to set an account with world first but I had problems and need the account to be verified with a phone interview. Which as made me a little sceptic.

any advice would be great.
Thank you in advance

tom169 Jul 14th 2018 1:21 am

Re: Money Transfer UK to US

Check transfer wise.

LouisB Jul 14th 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8 (Post 12532790)
Hi Guys,

I am after a few people’s opinions on which company to use to Tranfer money from my UK bank to my US bank. At the moment it is looking like XE as the best rate. As anybody ever used them before?
I have tried to set an account with world first but I had problems and need the account to be verified with a phone interview. Which as made me a little sceptic.

Thank you in advance

Transferwise. They have an app too. Super easy and rates are great, fairly quick too,

For small/add-hoc amounts a multicurrency credit card with no international transaction fees is also useful.

Transferwise for larger amounts...

Relobotomy Jul 16th 2018 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12532791)
Check transfer wise.

+1

MidAtlantic Jul 16th 2018 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8 (Post 12532790)
Hi Guys,

Thank you in advance

XE was quite widely used and recommended by users here a few years ago but, following their acquisition by Euronet Worldwide in 2015, there were several comments that their service and exchange rate had deteriorated. There has been very little reference to them over the last couple of years. It seems that Transferwise have taken their place. However there are many others worth considering: https://moneytransfercomparison.com/

Arathe Jul 19th 2018 5:31 pm

A +2 for transferwise - once you have it set up it’s super simple and their rates are consistently good.

figure 11 Jul 19th 2018 9:03 pm

Transferwise was quick and easy for me.

carlrush Jul 20th 2018 3:27 pm

Another + for Transferwise from me.

Since I didn't need all my cash when I first arrived in the US, I took the advice from folks here and transferred some each month. It helped me feel a bit better about the weak exchange rate this past couple of years and on stronger months I transferred a little more.

LouisB Jul 20th 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by carlrush (Post 12536128)
Another + for Transferwise from me.

Since I didn't need all my cash when I first arrived in the US, I took the advice from folks here and transferred some each month. It helped me feel a bit better about the weak exchange rate this past couple of years and on stronger months I transferred a little more.

good approach, I do a similar thing.

i like the pain free repeat previous transfer feature, could not be simpler!

AndyEODV8 Aug 8th 2018 7:49 pm

Sorry for the late response. Thank you all for the advice. I am still looking to do a transfer. I have been recommend hifx if anyone used them before. But I will checkout transferwise.

Unfortunately i I am stuck on what to do about transferring funds with the whole Brexit and rates dropping pretty bad over the past week.

LouisB Aug 8th 2018 8:26 pm

Rates are really poor again, 1.28 it appears. Notice they dive any time there is brexit news. Not good. My U.K. assets will be worthless at this rate * facepalm *

lets hope they kill brexit before it kills the U.K.

anyway good luck with the transfers, the tranferwise rates are generally up to date and pretty competitive...

Mercury39 Aug 8th 2018 9:08 pm

Moved money this week, checked XE and Transferwise and Transferwise had better rate. moving US to UK, and less than $2000, and it was in UK account in less than an hour.

Mike95 Aug 15th 2018 2:14 am

I use Hifx, good and secure, you have to upload documents such as ID, bank statement etc, payment took couple of days.

In in the same boat with everyone, only transferred a bit over at a time due to the horrible exchange rate, I was hoping it was going to get better but obviously recently plummeted to 1.27. Hoping it’ll get better soon so I can send the rest!

Dmac_ Aug 15th 2018 6:11 am

Reading from other people who are in the same boat as me is therapeutic, I must say. For a brief period when I first came to the US, the rate was 1.7. Try not to think about that!

Fingers crossed we see some increase once this business is done with and reality sets in.

BigT103 Aug 15th 2018 8:38 am

On Monday I downloaded the Transfer-Wise App they verified my ID almost immediately, I transferred money to my wife and at 7am (LA time) on the Tuesday the money was in her account... I am very impressed with the speed and ease, I highly recommend this.