Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Money transfer

Money transfer

Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default Money transfer

Hi

My daughter is due to move to London in approximately a week's time. Please advise the best way to transfer funds from Australia to the UK?

Thanks

redbean
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:54 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money transfer

Depends how much ? i would use paypal, clean n simple,

but the charges 'vary' on the amount you will send,

Example i once got a friend to send me £600 From china to UK via paypal i only got £580 0.o

Bank transfer on the other hand could be worse on charges.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Thanks for your prompt response. Have you heard of ozforex.com.au.

Apparently, you can get an on the spot quote and if you are sending more then AUD10,000.00 there is no charge.

I suppose the thing to consider is the exchange rate and whether it is fixed on the spot?

redbean
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redbean
Thanks for your prompt response. Have you heard of ozforex.com.au.

Apparently, you can get an on the spot quote and if you are sending more then AUD10,000.00 there is no charge.

I suppose the thing to consider is the exchange rate and whether it is fixed on the spot?

redbean
I use www.tranzfers.com which is a branch of Ozforex - they deal in the smaller amounts while Ozforex does the large ones. Been with them 10 years and move money most months, excellent service
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Mirri45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had success with xoom from us to uk - there's a charge but they make their rates clear
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:16 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My daughter is due to move to London in approximately a week's time. Please advise the best way to transfer funds from Australia to the UK?

Thanks

redbean
If she is actually moving in a week, why transfer the money at all, sounds like the best course of action would be to just get a bank cheque and take it with her.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:16 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mirri45
I've had success with xoom from us to uk - there's a charge but they make their rates clear
I second Xoom, but its only USA outwards. Plus they charge on top of the exchange rate as well.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi

The money has to get to her bank account in London before she arrives otherwise it will be treated as an income but the British taxation office.

redbean
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:57 am
Firetrak

Hi

The money has to get to her bank account in London before she arrives otherwise it will be treated as an income but the British taxation office.

redbean
Where is the legislation for this, a link to the government website would be great. If so perhaps stick this in the wiki.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:53 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by ldollard
If she is actually moving in a week, why transfer the money at all, sounds like the best course of action would be to just get a bank cheque and take it with her.
Bank cheques are a total wasted of money and time if you can use a forex account online such as Ozforex, your money arrived in a few days as you also get a few days to settle the amount before it is transfered. You then are ready to put it in your high interest account ( though they are now a rare thing ), on the other hand a bank cheque is not settled until you deposit it and wait for days for it to clear so you may be delayed with travel etc, and the rate of exchange on a large amount you will lose due to banks poor exchange rates could represent a years salary for a minimum wage earner.

I use Ozforex, they are professional and safe regardless of the amount.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:55 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Hi

redbean
Im pretty sure it is not taxed as income if you already paid tax on it as earnings etc.
You will only be taxed on the interest you receive from the British bank once it is deposited.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
Im pretty sure it is not taxed as income if you already paid tax on it as earnings etc.
You will only be taxed on the interest you receive from the British bank once it is deposited.
I agrèe.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agrèe.
I agree as well. I personally used our NZ bankers to transfer our funds to our UK bankers. I don't trust intermediaries with our life savings.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
and that tax will be tiny as interest rates are really low.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:28 am
advocatus diaboli

I've done some research on the type of savings one can make by using say Ozforex as apposed to the banksters.

Royal Bank of Scotland, 100,000 aust = 60'606 British pounds

Ozforex, 100'000 aust = 65'875 British pounds

So you see a saving of 5'276 British pounds.

Why would anybody want to use a bank

Last edited by Panhandle; Jan 18th 2013 at 10:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.