Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phones

Mobile Phones

Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Phones

From what I can gather, mobile phone contracts are more over there? We're going to be somewhere round West Chester, PA area - is there a network that has better coverage there?
I'm still in contract with my phone here, and I've spoken to my network and I can pay about £43 a month and keep my contract going, but be able to use my data, texts and minutes over there as part of my allowance. This would mean I can keep my number and also use it when back in the uk without any extra charges. It'll be cheaper for me to do that than pay to get out my contract. I'm just checking out the t's&c's to make sure there's not a limit on overseas usage. Has anyone done this? Kept their UK contract but use their phone over there on the UK plan? £43 is a lot, but if I can call/text to US and UK numbers and not be charged extra its worth doing. How does that price compare? I currently get unlimited calls and texts and 4gb data (although I think that increases if I upgrade my plan)
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:12 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones

How long are you moving to the US for? I see your other thread says 2 years? I don't know of anyone who's kept their UK phone when they move abroad.

You'll find it difficult to sign up for things over here with an overseas phone number, most require a US number to sign up for products/accounts.

Verizon and AT&T are the big players, there are cheaper networks but you get what you pay for. You're better off getting a US number with a pay as you go rate. AT&T offer a basic one for $30 a month, just use your own unlocked phone.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping the UK number is a non-starter in my opinion. I recently had to bite the bullet and pay £1,600 to cancel two UK phone contracts that only started in December (about a week before first discussions of US move began). This way we could get our handsets unlocked and not have to buy new iPhones in US.

I went with T-Mobile once we arrived but we had to wait a few weeks until SSN came though. I'm in Boston and so far covered as been perfect. We pay $100 for two unlimited usage (data, texts and calls) contracts. I would recommend it.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

OP check very carefully about the roaming charges but I think your idea is not a bad one at all if it's going to cost you ££ to get out of your contract.

Once you arrive, you can sign up for a US gmail account and get a US phone number for free. You install the app on your phone and then anyone can call you on that number whilst using just data. You can still use this number when outside the USA as well.

Otherwise, unlock your phones if you can and bring them with you. If you get a t-mobile PRE-PAID account then you don't need an SSN at all. This prepaid service is about the same cost as a normal post-paid account and operates the same way. International calling costs $15 a month on top of the plan amount. You should be able to go into a t-mobile shop, tell them you want a pre-paid, no credit check plan, sign up and walk out with a working sim in 30 minutes.

ETA you will need to check out google voice.. sorry, I didn't mention that one before.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jul 26th 2017 at 8:44 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Project Fi by Google
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Project Fi by Google
those phones are really expensive.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
those phones are really expensive.
And at least the European pixel is incompatible with the network.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:45 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by tom169
And at least the European pixel is incompatible with the network.
and reddit is full of people not happy with the numbers/billing etc.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:52 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my iPhone over from England and use an AT&T GoPhone SIM (they just rebranded it, but not sure what they calling it now). It's their pay-as-you-go service. Basically I get unlimited calls, texts and 3Gb data for $40/month with AutoPay. More expensive than UK, but less than contract plans.

AT&T have good service around West Chester too. I've never had an issue with my phone.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
How long are you moving to the US for? I see your other thread says 2 years? I don't know of anyone who's kept their UK phone when they move abroad.

You'll find it difficult to sign up for things over here with an overseas phone number, most require a US number to sign up for products/accounts.

Verizon and AT&T are the big players, there are cheaper networks but you get what you pay for. You're better off getting a US number with a pay as you go rate. AT&T offer a basic one for $30 a month, just use your own unlocked phone.
Yes 2 years. My current contact runs out next April
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jammiie
Keeping the UK number is a non-starter in my opinion. I recently had to bite the bullet and pay £1,600 to cancel two UK phone contracts that only started in December (about a week before first discussions of US move began). This way we could get our handsets unlocked and not have to buy new iPhones in US.

I went with T-Mobile once we arrived but we had to wait a few weeks until SSN came though. I'm in Boston and so far covered as been perfect. We pay $100 for two unlimited usage (data, texts and calls) contracts. I would recommend it.
My contract runs out in April and my husband is already out of contract. He's already working over there and has applied for his SSN. I'll look into t-mobile
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
OP check very carefully about the roaming charges but I think your idea is not a bad one at all if it's going to cost you ££ to get out of your contract.

Once you arrive, you can sign up for a US gmail account and get a US phone number for free. You install the app on your phone and then anyone can call you on that number whilst using just data. You can still use this number when outside the USA as well.

Otherwise, unlock your phones if you can and bring them with you. If you get a t-mobile PRE-PAID account then you don't need an SSN at all. This prepaid service is about the same cost as a normal post-paid account and operates the same way. International calling costs $15 a month on top of the plan amount. You should be able to go into a t-mobile shop, tell them you want a pre-paid, no credit check plan, sign up and walk out with a working sim in 30 minutes.

ETA you will need to check out google voice.. sorry, I didn't mention that one before.
Thanks for this. When I spoke with them, they said there wouldn't be any extra charges but I want to see it in writing first! That could be an option, keeping my number and getting a US one through US gmail account. I'll also look into t-mobile
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
I brought my iPhone over from England and use an AT&T GoPhone SIM (they just rebranded it, but not sure what they calling it now). It's their pay-as-you-go service. Basically I get unlimited calls, texts and 3Gb data for $40/month with AutoPay. More expensive than UK, but less than contract plans.

AT&T have good service around West Chester too. I've never had an issue with my phone.
Thanks. Il look into that too
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

When you get here, go to BestBuy and buy an H2O sim, $25-$30 a month , unlimited data, text and calls, plus includes calls back to the UK.

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 26th 2017 at 10:16 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic, my wife's friend is receiving my wife's texts multiple times on occasions. Last one was repeated 27 times. This only happens to a few people and not on every message. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.