Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone switch over...

Mobile phone switch over...

Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile phone switch over...

I lost my phone, well found it 5 months later it was under the ast bit of snow to melt out.

Costco for a phone, next door to Walmart for a Family Plan, well just me on it and found it worked well for me where reception is poor and am always roaming.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

T-Mobile are doing an offer for a free phone ( various ok choices - can't beat free!) if you open a prepaid account and pay $100 onto the account. This is about 1.5 months worth of cell phone bills so not a huge upfront cost. I like t-mobile for new arrivals because it is really easy to set up. You don't even need a US bank account.
However, I note that metropcs are now doing some REALLY good deals now that they have been taken over by t-mobile and they prepaid. https://www.metropcs.com/metrobytmobile.html?icid=home main metrobytmobile

If you need a US phone number - then once you have arrived in the USA, you can open a gmail.com email address and get a local (to you) cell phone number through google voice. It's free to get the number and receive calls and you can download the app onto your phone.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:53 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

Well I got my mobile phone sorted, Vodafone gave me an amazing 30 day trial before I left the UK, free calls and texts within the US and back to the UK for £22 a month on my UK number and contract, I took this out and cancelled it the day before it expired, I then went to T-Mobile with my now USC wife and she put me on her plan for $30 a month with free calls, texts and data. All in all it worked out OK
Old Nov 6th 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have mentioned this before, but you could use togglemobile and have a US and UK number on the same SIM. The rates are fairly good, and you get free incoming calls when in the US. However you need to setup the account while still in the UK. toggle mobile I am not sure if you would be able to port a togglemobile US number to another carrier.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 1:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trilo
Hi folks, I depart to the States early next month and was wondering what is best to do regards my mobile phone. Obviously I will have to cancel my Vodafone contract and get my phone unlocked to be used abroad, what is the best course of action to begin with until I get settled in the US and can open up a contract with a provider, Pay as you go I assume would be OK to begin with? Any advice would be appreciated
Why don't you just go on your wife's plan the day after you land in the US?

Last edited by Rete; Nov 7th 2018 at 1:50 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 1:17 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trilo
Well I got my mobile phone sorted, Vodafone gave me an amazing 30 day trial before I left the UK, free calls and texts within the US and back to the UK for £22 a month on my UK number and contract, I took this out and cancelled it the day before it expired, I then went to T-Mobile with my now USC wife and she put me on her plan for $30 a month with free calls, texts and data. All in all it worked out OK
Originally Posted by Rete
Why don't you just go on your fiancée's plan the day after you land in the US?

He already did!
Old Nov 7th 2018, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I like t-mobile due to the fact they have wifi calling. This means I can now get cell service at work through wifi. I am paying $15 a month (Mint mobile) for unlimited voice and text, but I only get 2 GB of data which I don't seem to use much due to using wifi hotspots.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Need to read more. Thanks michael
Old May 5th 2019, 10:46 am
JBQ
Just Joined

JBQ is an unknown quantity at this point

What tends to be the preference here - pay a large up front sum to cancel existing UK phone contract (have 12 months left to run on mine), or keep paying smaller monthly fees on the UK contract despite being in the US and not being able to use the UK phone?
Old May 5th 2019, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBQ
What tends to be the preference here - pay a large up front sum to cancel existing UK phone contract (have 12 months left to run on mine), or keep paying smaller monthly fees on the UK contract despite being in the US and not being able to use the UK phone?
Sounds like a personal preference to me. I'd pay it off and get it over and done with. One less thing to think about going forward.
Old May 5th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBQ
What tends to be the preference here - pay a large up front sum to cancel existing UK phone contract (have 12 months left to run on mine)
That's exactly what I done, since my relocation allowance was to wind up affairs in the UK as well as kicking things off in the US.

I was able to unlock my handset and sell it on eBay after I moved, which helped recoup much of the money (iPhones hold their resale value really well).
Old May 10th 2019, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Els87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any experience with Google Fi?
Old May 10th 2019, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Els87
Yep, been using it for multiple years, my major issues and very happy with the service. Very useful for international travel as it just works and data costs are the same as being in the USA.
Old May 10th 2019, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my other half has had Google Fi for 2 or 3 years for $20 a month unlimited calls and texts, and just pay for what data you use, which is usually almost nothing as she just connects to wifi most places. I recently joined onto her account for $15 a month, so we probably pay $40 a month for 2 phones with the little data we use outside of work/home.
Old May 12th 2019, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Els87
Yes the Mrs and I are both on this service. So far so good. Definitely there are cheaper options on the back of T-Mobile network (if you use a lot of data).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.