Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which mobile phone to get to call/text UK

Which mobile phone to get to call/text UK

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Helen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really nice
Default Which mobile phone to get to call/text UK

Hi, I just moved to Indiana and I want to get a mobile so I can call and text people in the UK. My husband has a verizon contract and he cannot text UK and it charges him to recieve calls.

Does anyone have any advice about which is the best mobile or service provider to go for?

I have tried to get friends/family onto skype so we can talk for free but they are not computer savvy enough. Plus you cannot text UK through skype.

We have an AT&T landline but one months bill was $120 and that is way over priced for the amount of calls I make. We even pay $5 a month extra for cheaper international call rates.

There has to be a better way to communicate with ol blighty. Any advice welcome,

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which mobile phone to get to call/text UK

Originally Posted by Helen A
I have tried to get friends/family onto skype so we can talk for free but they are not computer savvy enough. Plus you cannot text UK through skype.
I text the UK from my Skype account all the time.

Have you considered getting a UK phone number for your Skype account? I have an 0207 number in London that rings on my computer so folks over there can make a local call and chat with me.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Helen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really nice

Thanks for that, I'll have to look a bit further into skype then.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah there are lots of ways that you can use your computer as a text "portal", a number of them for free. If you aren't that bothered about texting from your phone and are near the computer a lot of the time, that's the way I'd go with it.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Lingo etc as a VOIP service, nice and cheap for calls, sod the mobile...
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice

Im using MagicJack to call UK for 2 cents per min with no line rentals at all. For mobile device I use T-Mobile pay as you go. 1 dollar a day access charge this includes free calls to other T mobile users in the usa and also free calls nationally after 7pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. was looking at t mobile etc. can't believe they charge you $1.00 a day to use the pay and go phone, might as well have a monthly contract.

I was analysing the landline bill to find out why it was so expensive. Out of thr $120, only $39 was actually call charges. The rest was service, tax and added charges for god knows what.

You really have to read the small print here.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice

Thanks for the advice. was looking at t mobile etc. can't believe they charge you $1.00 a day to use the pay and go phone, might as well have a monthly contract.

I was analysing the landline bill to find out why it was so expensive. Out of thr $120, only $39 was actually call charges. The rest was service, tax and added charges for god knows what.

You really have to read the small print here.

Its okay for PAYG. I'd sooner not be tied into a contract of 2 years than that LOL. Rather pay just 1 bucks for access, with access it dont mean txt msgs so thats cool for me EG if I send or recieve a txt I wont be penalised for the 1 dollar a day access charge.
Im a bit of skin flint, hence I purchases a magic jack, cant justify paying around 40 dollars a month for a landline. MagicJack aint as good as a landline but it does the job for me for nothing, well to be precise for the 46 dollars for 12 months usage all in.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Great info, thank you very much. Im looking at magic jack and wondering what the fee is. You make a good point about the PAYGO, as I am not an official resident I prob can't get a contract anyways.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Great info, thank you very much. Im looking at magic jack and wondering what the fee is. You make a good point about the PAYGO, as I am not an official resident I prob can't get a contract anyways.

The fee of approx 46 dollars for the magicjack includes product, delivery and 12 months line rental. The 12 month line rental includes unlimited calls to usa and canada. You have to purchase "minutes" to call international numbers like UK. I normally buy them at 5 dollar increments. Its 2 cents per min as mentioned. So the 5 bucks goes a long way for making UK landline calls for me.
Just be sure to have a good broadband internet service, as the magicjack relies on your PC and net connection for its reliability. Like I said, it aint perfect but does the job for me. Just google unofficial magic jack forums for more info.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Frederick; Aug 3rd 2008 at 4:17 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Yes, thanks a lot.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Yes, thanks a lot.
BTW, enjoyed reading your blog.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

For "normal" phone service I use a VOIP service with www.voiptalk.co.uk, you can set up a free account and use either a software VOPIP client or a telephone adapter (I have a Linksys PAP2). No line rental as such, you just buy credit, calls to UK landlines, US landlines and US mobiles are very cheap. If you have people on other VOIP services the calls are free, no call duration limit.

It's about the same cost as Skype calling but with the VOIP adapter you can use a regular dect phone and don't need a computer to be on to make and receive calls (I know that there are Skype products that do this too now).
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The other option is to get your parents a 'Skype handset' which connects to a broadband internet connection. If they have DSL in their house, they hook up this handset (which really just looks like a phone) and they can call your skype account for free from it (and you vice versa).
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for all the info guys, it's great to know how other people do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.