British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mix and Match Marriage Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mix-match-marriage-question-601274/)

Rambling_Pony Apr 1st 2009 6:22 pm

Mix and Match Marriage Question

Hello,

My name is Andrew and I am a 20 year old U.K Citizen currently living in the U.K. I have been dating a U.S Citizen for approximately 21 months and now we wish to get married. The plan is for her to come over to me in England this summer and for us to get married. She is going to take a year off school and live here, with me, for that year, before we both move back to the U.S to live permanently. In case it's needed, she is 18 years old.

Is this possible? And if so..... How? we have spent a considerable time looking at visa websites and we would like a definite answer on how we need to go about this. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Ta very much,
Andrew :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

meauxna Apr 1st 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Mix and Match Marriage Question

Tell us what you have learned so far from those visa websites so we don't have to write it all out again.

And do you have $3000 USD available for the US part of the move?

Ash UK/US Apr 1st 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling_Pony (Post 7442614)
Hello,

My name is Andrew and I am a 20 year old U.K Citizen currently living in the U.K. I have been dating a U.S Citizen for approximately 21 months and now we wish to get married. The plan is for her to come over to me in England this summer and for us to get married. She is going to take a year off school and live here, with me, for that year, before we both move back to the U.S to live permanently. In case it's needed, she is 18 years old.

Is this possible? And if so..... How? we have spent a considerable time looking at visa websites and we would like a definite answer on how we need to go about this. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Ta very much,

Why not do a K1 visa... will likely be easier.

Rambling_Pony Apr 1st 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for the swift response,

ok, so far I have learned that she can apply for a Fiancée visa, which means she can come here and we are ok as long as we marry within 6 months. However I am under the impression that we will have to remain here for two years, which is not possible as she will be starting at uni after the year out. We want to know if it HAS to be two years or if there is anyway to move to the U.S after a year.

Also I forgot to mention first time around, she would like to work when she is here for the year, but we are under the impression this will not be possible?

And to your second question, yes I do. I have managed to scrounge together my savings over the years and I also work full time, so no probs there.

Cheers for the help,
Andrew

anotherlimey Apr 1st 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling_Pony (Post 7442661)

ok, so far I have learned that she can apply for a Fiancée visa, which means she can come here and we are ok as long as we marry within 6 months. However I am under the impression that we will have to remain here for two years, which is not possible as she will be starting at uni after the year out. We want to know if it HAS to be two years or if there is anyway to move to the U.S after a year.

Also I forgot to mention first time around, she would like to work when she is here for the year, but we are under the impression this will not be possible?

And to your second question, yes I do. I have managed to scrounge together my savings over the years and I also work full time, so no probs there.

Cheers for the help,
Andrew

I don't mean to play the broken record your parents must be playing... but:

She's 18, you're 20, is the honeymoon period over yet? Don't marry the first girl who goes down on you... :eek:

Secondly, 18 year old + US College = Moral breakdown :lol:

No, I don't mean to be an arse, I just hope you've thought this through.

Ash UK/US Apr 1st 2009 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 7442680)
Don't marry the first girl who goes down on you... :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Think you could be a little more to the point please :p

meauxna Apr 1st 2009 7:08 pm

Cheers for the help,
Andrew

Sorry, I really did mean to put a smiley in my first answer. :)

For the UK visa details, use a group called uk-yankee; they will be able to explain the details better. Your USC needs a special visa in order to marry in the UK, and if she wanted to stay long term, she would need to get an additional visa status (that 2 years thing). You need to find out what she needs to marry + stay there for one year. Plus work immediately? May not be possible.

For the US part, you're going to have to start almost immediately after getting married if you want to come here in one year. Her parents will probably have to support/sign for you financially if your GF does not have an income in excess of $18K/year OR cash (asset) reserves in excess of $52K.

Rete Apr 1st 2009 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7442619)
Tell us what you have learned so far from those visa websites so we don't have to write it all out again.

And do you have $3000 USD available for the US part of the move?

Why?

They want to live in the UK for a year.

meauxna Apr 1st 2009 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7442784)
Why?

They want to live in the UK for a year.

What do you mean why? They will need at least that much for the return journey.
Not today. Along the way.

Rete Apr 1st 2009 7:41 pm

Thought the UK did away with the financee visa?

Cheers for the help,
Andrew

Rete Apr 1st 2009 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7442817)
What do you mean why? They will need at least that much for the return journey.
Not today. Along the way.

But they have a year to save it in. You asked if they have it now.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 1st 2009 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 7442680)
I don't mean to play the broken record your parents must be playing... but:

She's 18, you're 20, is the honeymoon period over yet? Don't marry the first girl who goes down on you... :eek:

Secondly, 18 year old + US College = Moral breakdown :lol:

No, I don't mean to be an arse, I just hope you've though this through.

To go on with this theme :D I hope you realize an 18 year old in US is still very much a kid, much more like a 15/16 year old in that they are just coming to the end of high school and even if they work all the kids that age I know are still treated as kids, they don't have the freedom and responsibility like UK 18 year olds do.
I came here in my early 20's and was still treated as a very young person, no one got that I'd been on my own since 16 and had jobs to support myself for many years. It's rarely done here.

Bob Apr 1st 2009 10:03 pm

easiest way would be her getting a students visa for the UK...

can't do it when you land anymore, but all it takes is a uni acceptance letter, so if she does an exchange she'd be sorted.

Just something to consider and she'd be able to work, part time at least and wouldn't have to pay for a visa to the UK.

FlyergirlUK Apr 1st 2009 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7442827)
Thought the UK did away with the financee visa?

Nope. Though the OP is correct in his second post in that his fiancee will be unable to work whilst on the fiancee visa, once she has FLR then she is free to find a job.

Dave_Was Apr 1st 2009 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling_Pony (Post 7442614)
Hello,

Ta very much,

I would check on the requirements for a settlement visa, I believe that the age of the applicants was raised to 21. I know that there has been a lot of discussion about this on the immigration boards.

The question is whether after you've married you plan to spend an extended time in the UK or move to the US.

I believe if you and your spouse wanted to stay in the UK, you'd have to get a settlement visa, in which case again, check the age requirements.

If you did get a settlement visa you could leave at any time, though it would impact on her getting FLR or ILR.

To be honest, I would definitely say get some legal advice.