Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mistake on my W-2

Mistake on my W-2

Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:48 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mistake on my W-2

I received my W-2 yesterday and noticed my surname has an extra "e" in it, instead of "Kelly" they put Kelley", I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this will be a problem? I want to file my taxes this weekend and know this can't be changed fast because my company used an outside accountant for this and it would the the accountant that made the mistake. From what I've read it shouldn't matter as the SSN is correct and to inform your company for future reference, though that makes sense I thought I'd ask here in case anyone had ever had the same problem.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mistake on my W-2

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I received my W-2 yesterday and noticed my surname has an extra "e" in it, instead of "Kelly" they put Kelley", I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this will be a problem? I want to file my taxes this weekend and know this can't be changed fast because my company used an outside accountant for this and it would the the accountant that made the mistake. From what I've read it shouldn't matter as the SSN is correct and to inform your company for future reference, though that makes sense I thought I'd ask here in case anyone had ever had the same problem.
I filed taxes without a w-2 before so I doubt it will matter. One good thing about the IRS is that when I've called, after getting through, they are generally pretty helpful.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:32 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read it shouldn't matter as the SSN is correct and to inform your company for future reference
You've read correctly. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:42 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:48 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I would still have employer file a correction.

http://employer-ssa.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=1562

"Provided that a W-2 was not already filed with SSA, you can give your employee a corrected W-2 marked "corrected" on copy 1. For the W-2s to be sent to SSA, Copy A of the original must be marked "VOID" and the replacement W-2 which will be added to the wage report package, must not be marked correction. If you have already submitted W-2s to SSA, you must submit a Form W-2c to make the correction."
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

I have another issue, what about an incorrect address? My wife's has our old address on it.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:07 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottMc
I have another issue, what about an incorrect address? My wife's has our old address on it.
An incorrect address on the W-2 isn't going to affect the employer wage reporting or the wages posting to the Security Security earnings record.

If she received the W-2 don't worry about it and just make sure her employer has her correct address if she's still working there. If she no longer works there there is nothing to do.

SSA doesn't keep a record of addresses unless you are receiving benefits or have applied. If SSA needs your address when it comes time to send out the yearly earnings Statement, SSA gets the address from IRS and that comes from the address you used when filing taxes. If you want to make sure IRS has your correct address submit IRS form 8822

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

USCIS Online Change of Address:

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Mine usually has an extra 'S' in it but it makes no difference
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

My teenage son worked for a company for 6 month but resigned last month due to conflict in his college schedules. Three days ago ,he also received his W2 from the employer with mistake in his name.

It reads Robert R Smith rather than Robert Tim Smith, he has beeen trying to contact ( with emails and phone calls ) his former employer to correct the mistake but he is not receiving any reply.

What should we do if the employer won't do anything to correct the mistake?
This year will be his first time to file a tax return, will this affect his tax return?