Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Missing my Sunday newspaper

Missing my Sunday newspaper

Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:46 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing my Sunday newspaper

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not sure if you've already considered this, and I didn't see it mentioned above, but what about a Kindle? As far as I know you can get a subscription to the Times on it.
Definitely recommend the Kindle: I have been using one for two and a half years, and love it. I ride the bus to and from work, an hour each way, and have no trouble with eyestrain or any other problems.
I do miss a proper British crossword though - something the Kindle can't help with.
If you have an iPhone, try an app called "2-Across".
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an iPhone, try an app called "2-Across".
Don't have an iPhone, sadly, only a blackberry - is it available on that?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:56 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Don't have an iPhone, sadly, only a blackberry - is it available on that?
Don't think so, but take a look at the results of this google search. You might find something useful.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

T_Simonsen is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I were in the Santa Monica area yesterday evening for dinner where we come across a store selling the full UK Edition of 'The Sunday Times' for $8.00, and we were given a par of silver cufflinks with The Sunday Times logo as a gift. The store owner told me that the newspapers arrived at her store on Monday afternoon, so it only one day old.

If there ever was a excuse to buy a new shirt!!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

BritBazaar Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

The Week is worthy of consideration - it's a Brit mag but now produced in the USA and, if you steal one of the promotion offer thingey's which reside in the mag you'll get it for about a dollar a week....It's a good precis of the world's weekly news.
You can purchase The Sunday Times (or just about anything for that matter) on press display then, print it out. Is it a newspaper? No not when printed on 8" X 11" paper from your printer but does it mean hunching over a computer to read? Nope. At 99c to read just one paper it's waaaay cheaper than anything else and of course, you can just print out the stories you actually want to read....or download to your laptop if you're going on a plane journey etc. to read then.
This means then, that you can download (and print) the pages which have the crosswords and puzzles etc. within them. Saturday Telegraph is excellent for that and, at 99cents on Press Display is cheaper than buying it in Britain!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

BritBazaar Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackattack
I couldn't agree more.

The Sunday Times was part of my Sunday ritual when I was living in London. On more occasions than not I would actually buy it when walking back from a Saturday night on the town sometime in the early hours. That meant I didn't have to nip out to my local garage (only about 4 houses away) in my pajamas with a shocking hangover to get the paper.

I still miss this paper and eagerly devour it when back in Blighty but I discovered that the only place I could find it here (Northern Cal) was in Barnes and Noble or Borders, it was about $8-10 and a week out of date so I gave up. I now read the Economist instead.

I am going to take some of the recommendations here and check out some online options.
I know where you can get the Sunday supplement magazines from but I'm prohibited from 'plugging' this on this forum!! Madness. If it was someone elses site I could suggest you visit it with no problem but because the info is on a site I own - I can't!!!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBazaar Girl
I know where you can get the Sunday supplement magazines from but I'm prohibited from 'plugging' this on this forum!! Madness. If it was someone elses site I could suggest you visit it with no problem but because the info is on a site I own - I can't!!!
When you joined BE you agreed to abide by the Site Rules. Which means you agreed not to advertise.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 17th 2010 at 11:24 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritBazaar Girl
I took a peek at the Press Display website that you mentioned. Thing is that I didn't see Sunday Times on the list of papers available. Did I miss it or is News International not part of this list?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I took a peek at the Press Display website that you mentioned. Thing is that I didn't see Sunday Times on the list of papers available. Did I miss it or is News International not part of this list?
You're right - they have the Guardian, Telegraph and Independent but no Times or Sunday Times.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
You're right - they have the Guardian, Telegraph and Independent but no Times or Sunday Times.
Hmmmm, well that's out then. I'd be happy to pay for a subscription but the Daily Sport, Kent Messenger Maidstone, and the Zimbabwean aren't high on my list of need to read (although no offense to people who do).

Given that all I was looking for was The Sunday Times, then I'll have to make do with reading it sneakily out of date in Borders/B&N or just waiting until I go back to the UK. Truthfully, while I loved getting the International news from Sunday Times, the lifestyle sections used to make me a little homesick. Events that I can't go to, things that I can't get, restaurants that I can't feast in etc

Now in the spirit of glass half full, I'm off to walk that dog and nipper on the beach. Can't do that in London.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, well that's out then. I'd be happy to pay for a subscription but the Daily Sport, Kent Messenger Maidstone, and the Zimbabwean aren't high on my list of need to read (although no offense to people who do).

Given that all I was looking for was The Sunday Times, then I'll have to make do with reading it sneakily out of date in Borders/B&N or just waiting until I go back to the UK. Truthfully, while I loved getting the International news from Sunday Times, the lifestyle sections used to make me a little homesick. Events that I can't go to, things that I can't get, restaurants that I can't feast in etc

Now in the spirit of glass half full, I'm off to walk that dog and nipper on the beach. Can't do that in London.
They have a beach in London (at low tide.) And it's probably clean now, unlike in Charles Dickens's time!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:37 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

THe problem is solved by more technology funnily enough, not less.

I have a 17" Mac Book Pro. The width is about the same as that of a newspaper (one page) and the quality is 2nd to none. My wife has a 15" laptop and that's not too bad. The higher res, you can actually read almost an entire page with none or one scroll click. Zoom right out and you can see the entire page(s) layout and even read much text (squint). It's the layout you can "view" that makes it real. IMHO. Add press display and get any paper and it even has 1 click that simulates, through animation a real page turn. (Next they'll add the rumple pages sound ).

Like you, I hated reading the newspapers online, it just didn't feel right BUT if you invest in a great big screen laptop, and a pillow, I promise you, you can sit up in bed or outside with a coffee and read the papers as close as you'll get to the real thing.

Don't buy a small screen but invest in the top of the range with great resolution. I swear by the MAC but there are many large screen HP Laptops for ~$600 at Costco and you'll use the computer for many other things (Sunday TV or comedy on BBCiplayer if you like).

I've tried everything else since I can't get the real-paper (I even had my sister post it every week which isn't that expensive but adds up).

Now, I can't see going back to a paper.

Last edited by franc11s; Mar 18th 2010 at 7:41 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:29 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

When i first moved here I really missed the Sunday Times. Now after 7 years I could not care less what happens in Britain. I have had the wall st journal for the last 6 months on a promotional subscription and how pro republican it is. I usually dont even bother reading it anymore it goes straight from the garden to the recycling bin. I like a newspaper to be non-partisan and finding that is pretty much impossible.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:18 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by vegas
When i first moved here I really missed the Sunday Times. Now after 7 years I could not care less what happens in Britain.
+1
I have had the wall st journal for the last 6 months on a promotional subscription and how pro republican it is.
+1

One of my SiLs used to work for Dow Jones wire service (same company as WSJ). It used to be owned by the Bancroft family, and although capitalist-focused, was not overtly partisan. It also did real journalism and long, in-depth article. When Rupe took over, however, she said the focus switched to short, puff pieces focused on making rich people even richer, and it gained a strong Republican focus. She jumped ship, and is now teaching junior high, which she says is WAY more rewarding, though she makes less than half what she did before.