Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Missing my Sunday newspaper

Missing my Sunday newspaper

Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

T_Simonsen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing my Sunday newspaper

I have recently moved to LA and I am on secondment in Los Angeles for the next six months, and I am starting to miss my Sunday Treats. Does anyone know where you can buy 'The Sunday Times' or any of the major Sunday newspapers, as it would make the evenings go quicker, as the alternative is to take up Painting by numbers. I am living in Westwood near UCLA.

Any Help to avoid taking up 'Painting by Numbers' would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:13 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing my Sunday newspaper

Some Barnes and Noble bookstores, and some larger newspaper / magazine stores will likely carry the Sundays, but you won't get it until Monday or Tuesday. They don't arrive in the US until late Sunday evening via air freight and don't make it to the newsstands until the next day or so.

The Guardian used to have a US-printed edition, but I'm not sure if they still do (I think so).
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

BritBazaar Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

You can read and download all British (in fact the world) newspapers at Press Display - there is a link to them on my website at <snip> .com in the marketplace section.
Further, as I pick up the sunday supplement magazines I put them in the car boot section of the The Bazaar.
Note that with press display you also get to read (and/or download) the magazines too! A real bonus.
I did used to subscribe to The Sunday Times which is printed in New York (and possibly Florida) but it would arrive on about a Thursday so I gave up with that.
Check out Press display - it's only about a dollar newspaper to read or about ten dollars per month and, you get a free sign up/try out period too.
I've never looked back since subscribing and now read The Evening Standard (I'm a Londoner!), the dailies and the Sunday's too!
Regards. Yvonne

Last edited by Sue; Mar 15th 2010 at 3:20 pm. Reason: Please don't post links to you site, instead include details in your forum sig. Suggest you read no 9 of the site rules. Thx
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Some Barnes and Noble bookstores, and some larger newspaper / magazine stores will likely carry the Sundays, but you won't get it until Monday or Tuesday. They don't arrive in the US until late Sunday evening via air freight and don't make it to the newsstands until the next day or so.

The Guardian used to have a US-printed edition, but I'm not sure if they still do (I think so).
Yes the Guardian Weekly is still published. It is pretty good, with a selection of articles from the Guardian & Observer from the week. I work in a library and we get it on subscription; we receive it on a Monday or Tuesday. I believe it is printed in Canada somewhere and drop-shipped somewhere in Vermont or New York State, I don't know how that would work in LA...

Depending on what part of a Sunday paper you really like to read, other weeklies that you can get from the UK on subscription are the TLS and the London Review of Books. Or, how about weekly mags? New Statesman and Spectator both promote subscriptions in the US and only take a couple of days to get here...

(EDIT: actually I think the London Review of Books is a monthly...)
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I am after the full Sunday Times newspapers, and not the newspaper which is printed in New York, which is a poor substitute for the real thing. I prefer to have newspaper in my hand so I can it on the move rather sat at a computer at home.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T_Simonsen
Thanks for the replies. I am after the full Sunday Times newspapers, and not the newspaper which is printed in New York, which is a poor substitute for the real thing. I prefer to have newspaper in my hand so I can it on the move rather sat at a computer at home.

14 yrs ago we used to go to bookshops such as Barnes and Noble and pay over the odds for an outdated copy of the Sunday Times...btw the supplements have been removed. It's much easier to read the UK papers on the net. Treat yourself to a netbook and mobile broadband.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried looking at the local newspapers? Not sure what you have in your part of the country but The Grand Rapids press is better than any sunday paper I got back home.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
14 yrs ago we used to go to bookshops such as Barnes and Noble and pay over the odds for an outdated copy of the Sunday Times...btw the supplements have been removed. It's much easier to read the UK papers on the net. Treat yourself to a netbook and mobile broadband.
I do sympathise with T_Simonsen. Many of us sit hunched over a computer for hours every workday, so there is a great value in reading papers & magazines in traditional print on paper format at home, while commuting etc. As for mobile & handheld devices etc., I prefer not to, as Bartleby said... No doubt one day I'll have to get a cell phone and a laptop computer etc., but I'm holding out...
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a list here:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...+Angeles%2C+CA

Some mention international and UK magazines. Worth finding one near you and giving them a ring.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for all the help I will the stores a ring.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I have recently moved to LA and I am on secondment in Los Angeles for the next six months, and I am starting to miss my Sunday Treats. Does anyone know where you can buy 'The Sunday Times' or any of the major Sunday newspapers, as it would make the evenings go quicker, as the alternative is to take up Painting by numbers. I am living in Westwood near UCLA.

Any Help to avoid taking up 'Painting by Numbers' would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas
I couldn't agree more.

The Sunday Times was part of my Sunday ritual when I was living in London. On more occasions than not I would actually buy it when walking back from a Saturday night on the town sometime in the early hours. That meant I didn't have to nip out to my local garage (only about 4 houses away) in my pajamas with a shocking hangover to get the paper.

I still miss this paper and eagerly devour it when back in Blighty but I discovered that the only place I could find it here (Northern Cal) was in Barnes and Noble or Borders, it was about $8-10 and a week out of date so I gave up. I now read the Economist instead.

I am going to take some of the recommendations here and check out some online options.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

The "Express" do a weekly compilation of their daily issues and it is a worthwhile newspaper. It is available for subscription and mailed weekly I believe. You can buy it over the counter in Canada but I have not seen it for retail sale anywhere in USA.
Subscription costs $53 for 3 months by first class mail ($195 for a year) or $40 by periodicals postage ($143 per year).
Tel: 1-866-833-6397 or website at www.theinternationalexpress.com
As you say, it makes all the difference to have a newspaper in the hand.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of them you can just read online...

Barnes and Noble and Borders usually sell them too, but pricey.

Some you can probably get sent as a subscription...Private Eye still at least does
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:15 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Some you can probably get sent as a subscription...Private Eye still at least does
Ah, my biweekly treat!

I love my Gnome and Gnitty...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you've already considered this, and I didn't see it mentioned above, but what about a Kindle? As far as I know you can get a subscription to the Times on it.

However, it might be the US printed one you don't like, and I don't know if the Kindle falls into your category of computer based reading. My wife has one though, they're not too bad to read compared to a monitor because they don't have a harsh backlight, and you can read them in the sun as well. Haven't tried the papers on it - I don't have my own.

I do miss a proper British crossword though - something the Kindle can't help with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.