Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Missing British fashion-boohoo!

Missing British fashion-boohoo!

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:48 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing British fashion-boohoo!

Originally Posted by Bob
There was a thread a few months back on this...

Zara is pretty good, so is Martin & Osa, Anthropologie, Banana Republic, J Crew, Johnston & Murphy (For the blokes), Nordstrom, Nine West (for the ladies shoes), Aldo's (for the blokes shoes), Ruehl...Urband Outfitter is kind of fun too...
I like Anthropologie and we have one just 5 miles from my house
but it's so expensive
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I like Limited, Ann Taylor and some of the designer brands from the large stores. I don't rate The Gap and Banana Rep. at all. I have also bought the odd thing from Costco.

Always bring a load of new clothes back from the UK...this trip I brought back about a dozen tee shirts, boots, shoes, sweaters, swimsuits.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:59 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I like Limited, Ann Taylor and some of the designer brands from the large stores. I don't rate The Gap and Banana Rep. at all. I have also bought the odd thing from Costco.

Always bring a load of new clothes back from the UK...this trip I brought back about a dozen tee shirts, boots, shoes, sweaters, swimsuits.
I try to do most of my shopping while I'm in England and Spain too but I only go back once a year .. I'm shopping in Vegas next month, I'm sooo excited about it!!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I try to do most of my shopping while I'm in England and Spain too but I only go back once a year .. I'm shopping in Vegas next month, I'm sooo excited about it!!
Great...I love to shop when I'm away from home. Makes the trip just that little bit more worthwhile.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:05 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i didn't shop at the weekend in vegas, tbh they are all the same shops as we have here.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:11 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i didn't shop at the weekend in vegas, tbh they are all the same shops as we have here.
There are only designer shops where I am .. I go to Boulder fairly often but there isn't much there either, there are only two shoe shops (one is Clarks) but they sell mainly hiking and comfortable footwear, people around here are very practical with their outfits . Next time I'm there I'll drive to Cherry Creek in Denver, that's the most decent shops I can find in the whole state and they are still not that great though..
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

GeraldineGray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shazza777
Ok everyone, i need some more help here.

Anyone got any web sites that have some sort of up to date fashion in clothes that i can order on? i miss, new look, dorothy perkins, select and of course Primark

I am 44 years old and don't wear clothes like my granny used to wear,:curse: i am a size 12-14 uk size. There is one "sort of" ok store here in Killeen, but it is aimed for teenagers or skinny minnies, if i see another polyester big and bold patterned top or skirt, i will rip it up! I WILL! I WILL! IWILL!
I buy lots of stuff from Ann Taylor Loft (not Ann Taylor which is a bit elderly) who make things for girls with boobs and bits.
Should add that I lost 50lbs last year (and kept it off) when I stopped eating out all around Houston. Went from a 14 in BR down to a 2! - Funny coz my English friends just said "honestly, who is a size 2?" Well, I was a 14 but am now a 2 or 4 so I guess it's all relative. I say that I was the fat chick and no one told me!!
Kept one pair of pants to try on every now and then and to laugh at - you can fit two people in those.
So, Boden, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor Loft usually come up trumps for me. Then again, I don't shop anymore either - I guess the weight and the retail were linked...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

There are only designer shops where I am .. I go to Boulder fairly often but there isn't much there either, there are only two shoe shops (one is Clarks) but they sell mainly hiking and comfortable footwear, people around here are very practical with their outfits . Next time I'm there I'll drive to Cherry Creek in Denver, that's the most decent shops I can find in the whole state and they are still not that great though..

my girlfriend lives in cherry creek, i visited her there a couple of yrs ago and i remember there seemed a few nice shops.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GeraldineGray
I buy lots of stuff from Ann Taylor Loft (not Ann Taylor which is a bit elderly) who make things for girls with boobs and bits.
i went into an ann taylor last nov just by my house and the stuff was really old fashioned and it was then that i realised that i had shopped previously in ann taylor loft
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:40 am
Just Joined

GeraldineGray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i went into an ann taylor last nov just by my house and the stuff was really old fashioned and it was then that i realised that i had shopped previously in ann taylor loft
Oh yes, two very different places. And their stuff lasts the American washing machines - all my Next things seem to shrink over here (and no, *I* didn't get bigger!) ha-ha
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

I miss New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Primark, even Peacocks!
Most of my clothes are t shirts and jeans now... and the quality of clothes seem to be worse here.

Oh yeah... and ebay comes in handy!

Last edited by Emma M; Mar 25th 2008 at 1:01 am. Reason: added something
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GeraldineGray
Oh yes, two very different places. And their stuff lasts the American washing machines - all my Next things seem to shrink over here (and no, *I* didn't get bigger!) ha-ha
I miss a washing line too! these dryers shrink them more than the washing machines
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I miss a washing line too! these dryers shrink them more than the washing machines
I'm not happy with laundry over here. Even though I have a front loader...it's nowhere near as good as my Hoover back in the UK. The colours seem to fade and the whites go a yucky, mucky colour. The washing isn't as clean when it comes out of the wash as it used to be.

I agree...tumble driers do shrink clothes.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:39 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Ok everyone, i need some more help here.

Anyone got any web sites that have some sort of up to date fashion in clothes that i can order on? i miss, new look, dorothy perkins, select and of course Primark

I am 44 years old and don't wear clothes like my granny used to wear,:curse: i am a size 12-14 uk size. There is one "sort of" ok store here in Killeen, but it is aimed for teenagers or skinny minnies, if i see another polyester big and bold patterned top or skirt, i will rip it up! I WILL! I WILL! IWILL!
Hey you still got it!

I haven't come across much like New Look or Primark online.... maybe Rampage : http://www.rampage.com/ or http://www.nyandcompany.com

I love Nordies..... they are pricier but I think their shipping is only $8 (free if you spend over $200) and they have such a great return policy. http://shop.nordstrom.com

After that it depends what I am looking for but some other websites I have used are:
http://www.bluefly.com/
http://www.espritshop.com/
http://www.us.redoute.com/
and someone else mentioned this one:
http://www.bodenusa.com/

I stumbled upon this website recently http://www.glimpse.com .... you plug in what you are looking for and it trawls lots of clothing websites. I didn't find it very user friendly but it was useful to draw attention to clothes sites I hadn't heard of before.

Phew. That was a lot ....and I hate shopping!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:14 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not happy with laundry over here. Even though I have a front loader...it's nowhere near as good as my Hoover back in the UK. The colours seem to fade and the whites go a yucky, mucky colour. The washing isn't as clean when it comes out of the wash as it used to be.

I agree...tumble driers do shrink clothes.
I agree too. I have a front loader but it isn't as good. Perhaps it's the washing powder but I don't think things are as clean.
I miss the smell of washing hung outside and I think the tumble dryer shrinks things (thats my story and I'm sticking to it because I am not an inch bigger )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.