Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Minority owned business?

Minority owned business?

Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:21 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Minority owned business?

Is this playing this card only useful if you are dealing with government?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minority owned business?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I don't think anyone has the foggiest what you're on about.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
I don't think anyone has the foggiest what you're on about.
Hmm, I thought it was just me.
Well a minority owned business is run by a woman or someone of an ethnic minority. Government places are supposed to get brownie points for using them when they have a contract to hand out. I figured there must be more to it than that?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:39 pm

Okay let me try it this way; any females here run their own business?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Okay let me try it this way; any females here run their own business?
Our CPA advised us to register our business with my wife (who is also conveniently conveniently Chinese) as the principal owner. Reckoned we'd get a bunch of tax breaks, as well as preference on govt/state contracts. Well, we don't bid for any govt work, and our CPA went bust before he could show us any of the tax breaks. Tw@t. So I'm now shopping for a new CPA and will see what they say....

By the way, before you ask, our dentist wears false teeth, our car mechanic walks to work and our lawyer can only see us during visiting hours at the local penitentiary. We're lucky like that..........
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad] our CPA went bust before he could show us any of the tax breaks. [email protected]E]

roflmao.......cpa went bust lol you need a
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:51 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a subcontractor to the Federal Government (as my company is) you have to have a "small business plan" which details targets (in $ amounts and in % of all work subcontracted out) for further subcontracting work to small businesses owned by women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled people. Twice a year you have to report on whether or not you're meeting thoise targets.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has just been put on the team where she works to bring in minority vendors where she works. What got me was the fact that minority really doesn't mean minority acording to the government. What they are really looking for is black and women owned business with some hispanic on the side. Also, in order to be classed as a minority vendor of a non minority company, they have to be based in the same state. Some very strange definitions if you ask me. I actually went to the Northern Ohio Minority Business Council awards last weekend, quite informative it was too.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:35 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
My wife has just been put on the team where she works to bring in minority vendors where she works. What got me was the fact that minority really doesn't mean minority acording to the government. What they are really looking for is black and women owned business with some hispanic on the side. Also, in order to be classed as a minority vendor of a non minority company, they have to be based in the same state. Some very strange definitions if you ask me. I actually went to the Northern Ohio Minority Business Council awards last weekend, quite informative it was too.
thats just so wrong, specificicaly targeting minority owned business's - isnt that racism???

Ant
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. What she is doing is trying to promote smaller vendors and get away with the stereotype of minority business. I keep saying get the best you can but in reality it's far easier to get the big companies who have a massive sales team than the smaller ones who quite often are minority owned, which does include disabled people which I forgot. I couldn't believe a lot of the comments that she got from educated people when they announced this. A huge amount were very upset because they thought that it meant they were going to be dealing with black business and that the service would be terrible because they are all lazy! That's one of the things they are hoping to show people isn't remotely true. The worst part I think is the governments definition of a minority owned business.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:32 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Not really. What she is doing is trying to promote smaller vendors and get away with the stereotype of minority business. I keep saying get the best you can but in reality it's far easier to get the big companies who have a massive sales team than the smaller ones who quite often are minority owned, which does include disabled people which I forgot. I couldn't believe a lot of the comments that she got from educated people when they announced this. A huge amount were very upset because they thought that it meant they were going to be dealing with black business and that the service would be terrible because they are all lazy! That's one of the things they are hoping to show people isn't remotely true. The worst part I think is the governments definition of a minority owned business.
well , perhaps it isnt rascism then, but its not perfectly right - people should get jobs on merit - their race should not matter either way!!!

Ant
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by antjen
well , perhaps it isnt rascism then, but its not perfectly right - people should get jobs on merit - their race should not matter either way!!!

Ant

It's just a variant of affirmative action.
Getting a job on merit...an interesting concept! I must research this idea
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:55 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Just read an article that the Dept of Defence have gone from open bidding to a Preferred Vendor system for their procurement (presumably just for the stuff that doesn't go bang...). Apparently under the new system ice cube trays cost $20 vs the 85cents they used to pay......may be worth a bit of plastic surgery and gender bending to get on that preferred list