British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MINNESOTA 2008! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/minnesota-2008-a-532791/)

ARNIKEFI Apr 28th 2008 1:39 pm

MINNESOTA 2008!

THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE THAT I WILL BE MOVING TO MINNESOTA LATER THIS YEAR.
I HAVE A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD SON WHO WOULD LIKE TO COME WITH ME (HE WILL BE SEVENTEEN WHEN WE COME OVER) AND WE ARE WONDERING WHAT SCHOOL OPTIONS THERE ARE FOR HIM?
WE WERE HOPING THAT HE COULD SPEND TWO YEARS AT SCHOOL BEFORE GOING TO COLLEGE IN ORDER THAT HE CAN GET THE RIGHT QUALIFICATIONS.
ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO GET ADVICE ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU!

Ray Apr 28th 2008 2:06 pm

Re: MINNESOTA 2008!

Originally Posted by ARNIKEFI (Post 6277061)
THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE THAT I WILL BE MOVING TO MINNESOTA LATER THIS YEAR.
I HAVE A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD SON WHO WOULD LIKE TO COME WITH ME (HE WILL BE SEVENTEEN WHEN WE COME OVER) AND WE ARE WONDERING WHAT SCHOOL OPTIONS THERE ARE FOR HIM?
WE WERE HOPING THAT HE COULD SPEND TWO YEARS AT SCHOOL BEFORE GOING TO COLLEGE IN ORDER THAT HE CAN GET THE RIGHT QUALIFICATIONS.
ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO GET ADVICE ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU!

Your Cap lock button is stuck ...

What visa will you be using ..

ARNIKEFI Apr 28th 2008 2:16 pm

H1B - my petition has been approved!
I know that it can still be refused, but I thought it's time to investigate.

Ray Apr 28th 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ARNIKEFI (Post 6277210)
H1B - my petition has been approved!
I know that it can still be refused, but I thought it's time to investigate.

So he will be H-4 ... cannot get a SSN or work ..

take a read here
http://education.state.mn.us/mde/index.html

ARNIKEFI Apr 28th 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6277237)
So he will be H-4 ... cannot get a SSN or work ..

take a read here
http://education.state.mn.us/mde/index.html

Thank you!

Bob Apr 28th 2008 8:39 pm

where in the state will you be moving too? people can't recommend places without knowing where, it's all very location specific and all that....

lj2 Apr 28th 2008 8:43 pm

Indeed, MN has two main cities in the south(ish) and then one City further North - the rest is essentially townships. Schools will vary massively between areas, as will your lifestyle.

I love Minnesota by the way, congratulations!

ARNIKEFI Apr 28th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6279375)
where in the state will you be moving too? people can't recommend places without knowing where, it's all very location specific and all that....

I will be working in Ramsey. I suppose what I am really trying to find out is if my son can go to school to get the grades required to go onto University?
And at seventeen will I have to pay for his schooling?

freezerman Apr 28th 2008 10:33 pm

I've been in Minnesota for coming up on two years and I love it here too, but be prepared for cold you are unlikely to have experienced before. :)

ARNIKEFI Apr 28th 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by freezerman (Post 6280156)
I've been in Minnesota for coming up on two years and I love it here too, but be prepared for cold you are unlikely to have experienced before. :)

I am looking forward to some proper seasons!
Would you say that it is a dry cold or a wet cold - if you know what I mean?

meauxna Apr 28th 2008 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by ARNIKEFI (Post 6280154)
I will be working in Ramsey. I suppose what I am really trying to find out is if my son can go to school to get the grades required to go onto University?
And at seventeen will I have to pay for his schooling?

Aren't you brave!

Public education (open to all and no charges) is normally for 12 'grades' here with most finishing High School at age 17 or 18.
Depending on where he falls, qualifications-wise, he could do a year of High School or go into Community College or University (pay to play).

CC might be a good bridge for him and is much less expensive than University. Each school will have their own idea about rates, residency etc.

penguinsix Apr 28th 2008 11:59 pm

It's a tundra cold, like what you see on the Discovery channel with guys in Arctic snow cats driving around penguins and polar bears.

Well, not that bad, but cold enough that wet or dry cold doesn't really matter at that point.

meauxna Apr 29th 2008 12:17 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 6280392)
It's a tundra cold, like what you see on the Discovery channel with guys in Arctic snow cats driving around penguins and polar bears.

Well, not that bad, but cold enough that wet or dry cold doesn't really matter at that point.

The first/last/only time I visited Duluth, and the natives explained me what that tube was that runs along at the 2nd story level of all the buildings.. let's just say that was enough for me. And I hear they've got legendary mosquitoes.

freezerman Apr 29th 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by ARNIKEFI (Post 6280177)
I am looking forward to some proper seasons!
Would you say that it is a dry cold or a wet cold - if you know what I mean?

It's an incredibly dry cold. You're probably going to need a humidifier in your home.

Bob Apr 29th 2008 2:10 am

once you get below 0F it doesn't feel any colder at -60 than -20...just don't go for a piss outside and blew your nose before heading outside as snot freeze is creepy :lol:

but school as in highschool shouldn't cost, community college is like the CoFE in blighty and cheap.....and then university will be expensive, depends on what studied, but as new residents, wouldn't be considered local, so budget for that....and depending on what visa you are on, presuming your not either a USC or LPR might, or might not be allowed to work whilst at school.