British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Minivan Rental (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/minivan-rental-741242/)

E3only Dec 7th 2011 4:43 pm

Minivan Rental

Hi all,

6 of us heading down to LA and taking a bit of a road trip in a Minivan. When I booked my rental the minivan came up as (Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Grand Caravan or similar). My question is - it shows it can take 5 bags.

My question is would 3 large bags and 2-3 hand bags fit? 1 hand bag can go under the front passenger seat I am sure.

Never driven/sat in a minivan so no idea how big it is. ALl I know from booking it is it has 7 seats (we need 6) and can fit 5 bags per rental company website.

Please let me knnow. Thanks in advance!

Karen68 Dec 7th 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Minivan Rental

The only van I've ever been in is an Odyssey, which I think is bigger. If you have no joy finding out on here, you could always do a sneaky reccy at a dealers showroom!

Scouse Express Dec 7th 2011 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9775998)
Hi all,

6 of us heading down to LA and taking a bit of a road trip in a Minivan. When I booked my rental the minivan came up as (Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Grand Caravan or similar). My question is - it shows it can take 5 bags.

My question is would 3 large bags and 2-3 hand bags fit? 1 hand bag can go under the front passenger seat I am sure.

Never driven/sat in a minivan so no idea how big it is. ALl I know from booking it is it has 7 seats (we need 6) and can fit 5 bags per rental company website.

There is little or no room for under seat storage in Dodge or Chrysler Vans. They have "Stow 'n Go seating, which makes it almost impossible. It is going to be fairly crammed in a Minivan, regardless of what make it is. Perhaps an 8 seater, like a Ford Econoline (Full-Size Van) would be better for you.

Jim.

Scouse Express Dec 7th 2011 5:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 9776059)
There is little or no room for under seat storage in Dodge or Chrysler Vans. They have "Stow 'n Go seating, which makes it almost impossible. It is going to be fairly crammed in a Minivan, regardless of what make it is. Perhaps an 8 seater, like a Ford Econoline (Full-Size Van) would be better for you.

Jim.

Here's a photo of an 8 Passenger Ford Van

Jim.

AZ_Alba Dec 7th 2011 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9775998)
Hi all,

Are you talking suitcases or duffel/holdall Bags when you say 3 Large bags? The Town and Country we rented in the UK (2008) took six plus bags but we had to use the underfloor storage where the stow and go seats would normally live. If large suitcases then you will be tight. Looking at the 2012 models you may find that the third row of seats is rear facing on the dodge.

E3only Dec 7th 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks!

Well the issue is we are on the road for 14 days so the we will be carrying 1 decent size checked in bag per couple (total of 3 bags) + 3-4 hand bags.

I don't know how these cars are set up but I was thinking given we will need only 6 seats and this is a seven seater wouldn't we be able fold of the seats and use that to get our stuff in?

Or am I completely out of my mind? Last thing I want is to get there (we are going directly from the airport) only to find no space. LOL

Scouse Express Dec 7th 2011 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9776212)
Thanks!

Well the issue is we are on the road for 14 days so the we will be carrying 1 decent size checked in bag per couple (total of 3 bags) + 3-4 hand bags.

I don't know how these cars are set up but I was thinking given we will need only 6 seats and this is a seven seater wouldn't we be able fold of the seats and use that to get our stuff in?

Or am I completely out of my mind? Last thing I want is to get there (we are going directly from the airport) only to find no space. LOL

7 Seats for Midgets, maybe.

Jim.

E3only Dec 7th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 9776239)
7 Seats for Midgets, maybe.

Jim.

phu* so I am screwddddd!

Bob Dec 7th 2011 7:05 pm

Get one of those roof rack doughnut buns?

Or get two motors...can't see how that many people and luggage will fit, safely and comfortably in a minivan...

GeoffM Dec 7th 2011 7:08 pm

In my limited experience, none of the minivans I've driven/seen in the US have room for both six adults AND three large suitcases. Six OR three but not six AND three. Some might though. The idea of nosing around a car dealership is not a bad idea, as long as you are guaranteed that model when you actually hire (most say "or equivalent").

Prof_Yaffel Dec 7th 2011 8:11 pm

I've got a Grand Cravan and I think there should easily enough room.Its 2 upfront, 2 in the middle and 3 at the back. The back would be cramped with 3 but 2 is fine. The boot easily has enough room for 2 large suitcases if not 3, just depends on how large. As mentoned before, there is storage in compartments under the floor with can take soft bags, we use it to keep chairs and blankets in. You also have a lot of space around the 2 middle seats as its a walkthrough into the back

E3only Dec 7th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Prof_Yaffel (Post 9776361)
I've got a Grand Cravan and I think there should easily enough room.Its 2 upfront, 2 in the middle and 3 at the back. The back would be cramped with 3 but 2 is fine. The boot easily has enough room for 2 large suitcases if not 3, just depends on how large. As mentoned before, there is storage in compartments under the floor with can take soft bags, we use it to keep chairs and blankets in. You also have a lot of space around the 2 middle seats as its a walkthrough into the back

Thanks!

So can I say
2 front,
2 middle,
and instead of 3 back it will be 2 back + 1 suitcase (will try and get the size down) at the back
And then boot has 2 large suitcases.

That should work, no? Although I am not sure of the specific model I will be given - I could give rental guys a call and see what they have assigned to me?

S Folinsky Dec 7th 2011 9:31 pm

FWIW, VW sells a version of the Chrysler mini-van under the "Routan" name. Rented one once and it was not bad for five and a ton of luggage.

Prof_Yaffel Dec 7th 2011 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9776405)
Thanks!

So can I say
2 front,
2 middle,
and instead of 3 back it will be 2 back + 1 suitcase (will try and get the size down) at the back
And then boot has 2 large suitcases.

That should work, no? Although I am not sure of the specific model I will be given - I could give rental guys a call and see what they have assigned to me?

Yes I think you will fit and as long as the cases aren't super huge you may find they will all fit in the boot.

Some one mentioned the rear 3 may face backwards in the 2012 model but I can't imagine that would work, who would want to sit like that ? . Maybe confusion with the 2 nd row seats, if they aren't "stow n go " you can have captains chairs and they can swivel to face backwards so you can have a fold out table option