Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Minimum Salary For H1B As Stipulated By INS

Minimum Salary For H1B As Stipulated By INS

Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

dignity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Minimum Salary For H1B As Stipulated By INS

I have just been offered a job at last from a company that I have been speaking to over the past year.

However, I have been asked to join as part of the expansion of a small company. The President of the company is keen to transfer my visa from H4 to H1B and pay for that, but the the problem is that he cannot pay me what the position dictates.

I am not too concerned about that at this moment...However...

Does anyone know where I can find out what the minimum salary for H1B workers is? (as stipulated by the INS)

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks.

Diggers
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:03 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum Salary For H1B As Stipulated By INS

Originally Posted by dignity
I have just been offered a job at last from a company that I have been speaking to over the past year.

However, I have been asked to join as part of the expansion of a small company. The President of the company is keen to transfer my visa from H4 to H1B and pay for that, but the the problem is that he cannot pay me what the position dictates.

Does anyone know where I can find out what the minimum salary for H1B workers is? (as stipulated by the INS)

Thanks.

Diggers
He cannot pay what the position dictates? Then he can't afford to hire someone and is using your visa as an excuse to try to hire cheap labor.

... which is exactly what the rules of the H1B visa prohibit (and what Americans who oppose the H1B scheme are so angry about when it happens). An H1B worker MUST be paid the equivalent salary of a US legal permanent resident worker doing the same job. It's as simple as that, according to the H1B regulations.

So, if he's proposing hiring you but paying less than he would have to pay to hire a US worker with equivalent experience for the same job then he's breaking the immigration rules.

Not to mention that you'd be getting screwed.

If he really wants to hire you, he can find the money to pay you what the job is worth. If not, then he should not be hiring. Simple as that.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:40 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: Minimum Salary For H1B As Stipulated By INS

Originally Posted by dignity

Thanks.

Diggers
Be concerned. Be very concerned.