Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

MInimum apartment rental period

MInimum apartment rental period

Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MInimum apartment rental period

Over the summer, there are plenty of places that'll do monthly around where I am, and if it's on the coast, weekly. Out of the summer and it's still possible, but usually wanting a year, but you can find condo complexes that'll do monthly for a higher rate, which also tend to be unfurnished and shit.
I didn't come across condo's while I was living in the States, but I understand that they differ from apartments in that each one has a separate owner.
Is it because of this that you can get short term rentals, and where do they advertise?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

would a bank statement suffice as proof of address?
I'm not sure about this. When Fidelity told me what I had to do to unfreeze the account, they mentioned a few items that would not be sufficient, as though they were trying to cut off all workarounds.

I'm apprehensive about contacting Fidelity again because, as Pulaski pointed out, the account might get flagged as an issue.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formfill1 View Post
I'm not sure about this. When Fidelity told me what I had to do to unfreeze the account, they mentioned a few items that would not be sufficient, as though they were trying to cut off all workarounds.

I'm apprehensive about contacting Fidelity again because, as Pulaski pointed out, the account might get flagged as an issue.
a bank account statement works as proof of address for most things like social security, cell phone contracts and driver's licenses so I would be surprised if it won't work for fidelity.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

a bank account statement works as proof of address for most things like social security, cell phone contracts and driver's licenses so I would be surprised if it won't work for fidelity.
At some point I will have to contact Fidelity, about this and other queries.
However, I don't want to do this yet, as I want to take my time exploring all the options to unfreeze the account.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:13 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
would a bank statement suffice as proof of address?

That would be relatively easy to get even with a month to month let. So long as you have a lease you can get your bank account address changed to that.

Even opening a new bank account is relatively easy.
Remember he needs the address transferred to a UPS mailbox, not to the address of the leased home, otherwise mail sent to the previously leased home will be returned and he will be back to square one!

So I think getting a bank to take the UPS mailbox address is the same problem as getting Fidelity accepting the address - the bank is likely to want a utility bill showing that address.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2017 at 4:15 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Remember he needs the address transferred to a UPS mailbox, not to the address of the leased home, otherwise mail sent to the previously leased home will be returned and he will be back to square one!

So I think getting a bank to take the UPS mailbox address is the same problem as getting Fidelity accepting the address - the bank is likely to want a utility bill showing that address.
Fidelity makes a clear distinction between your residential address (ie where you actually live) and a mailing address. For ID purposes they require evidence of the residential address.

They have no problem with a separate mailing address, which can be a PO box.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:30 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
Fidelity makes a clear distinction between your residential address (ie where you actually live) and a mailing address. For ID purposes they require evidence of the residential address.

They have no problem with a separate mailing address, which can be a PO box.
Well the implication of "residential" the way you describe it is "a (potentially) permanent address" so a two month lease isn't going to help him, is it?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:21 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formfill1 View Post
I didn't come across condo's while I was living in the States, but I understand that they differ from apartments in that each one has a separate owner.
Is it because of this that you can get short term rentals, and where do they advertise?
Depends. Some are owner owned, some complexes aren't. You find them where ever places are advertised.

Might depend on area though, but they are everywhere down my way.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My broker accepted my bank statement , however I was required to have the statement notarized with some form they sent me. Did Fidelity send you a form?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Depends. Some are owner owned, some complexes aren't. You find them where ever places are advertised.
When living in the States, I used co-workers recommendations when looking for apartments, so never found out how they were usually advertised.

My broker accepted my bank statement , however I was required to have the statement notarized with some form they sent me. Did Fidelity send you a form?
Fidelity told me over the phone that I needed proof of address, and I didn't press the point as I didn't want to make the situation worse.
They didn't send me any forms or have made direct contact since then.