British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MInimum apartment rental period (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/minimum-apartment-rental-period-902428/)

formfill1 Aug 24th 2017 2:50 pm

MInimum apartment rental period

I'm starting this new thread as a spin-off from my query "Frozen 401k/IRA" as it might help future posters.

I returned to the UK for family reasons, and had no time to sort out all my affairs.
To unfreeze my 401k/IRA I need to send a Utility bill as proof of US address.

One option is to spend a short period in the States to sort this out.
What would be the minimum period to rent an apartment (is this State dependent) and what would be a good way to search out such apartments?

tom169 Aug 24th 2017 3:09 pm

Re: MInimum apartment rental period

I've never heard of a minimum. Will be down to the landlord.

PetrifiedExPat Aug 24th 2017 6:29 pm

I know there are short term apartments available to rent in Boston and NYC (2 months usually), I would expect it to be easier (although I do not know), the closer to a major city you get..

Pulaski Aug 24th 2017 6:37 pm

I would say that short-term, less than six months, and certainly three months, people would go with a "serviced apartment" which is more like a hotel than mere rental of real estate, and therefore doesn't deliver the "opportunity" to get utility bills.

Landlords don't usually like very short tenancies because they having all the cleaning, repairs, and maintenance to do between tenants with only a few months rent to cover the costs.

sherbert Aug 24th 2017 7:24 pm

In California it is very hard to find private landlords that will lease for less than a year. The larger housing complexes usually offer short term leases, but the shorter your lease the higher the monthly price.

Noorah101 Aug 24th 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by formfill1 (Post 12323662)
I'm starting this new thread as a spin-off from my query "Frozen 401k/IRA" as it might help future posters.

I returned to the UK for family reasons, and had no time to sort out all my affairs.
To unfreeze my 401k/IRA I need to send a Utility bill as proof of US address.

One option is to spend a short period in the States to sort this out.
What would be the minimum period to rent an apartment (is this State dependent) and what would be a good way to search out such apartments?

How long do you consider to be "a short time"? If you're coming on the VWP, that would have to be less than 90 days. You'd have to rent the apartment, pay a deposit to the utility company, and if they want to see the actual mail delivery, wait a month for the first bill to arrive in the mail.

Rene

mrken30 Aug 25th 2017 12:18 am

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...237367651.html $450 a month. If you don't really move in the landlord will probably cut you a break on the lease break fee. However if its a month to month, there will be no lease break fee, but rent will be slightly higher.

So something like this is going to cost you in region of $2k when you add in bills.

MidAtlantic Aug 25th 2017 11:50 am

This seems to be an extraordinary process, even if it is possible. Have you received anything in writing from Fidelity saying that there is no solution to your issue part from withdrawing the funds? I would not go to these lengths on the basis of phone conversations with them.

formfill1 Aug 26th 2017 11:19 am

Many thanks for the replies.
It seems that getting a short term let will take some searching. And that, as I'd previously thought, they would be like holiday lets, and there wouldn't be the option of a utility bill.

However if its a month to month, there will be no lease break fee, but rent will be slightly higher.
So something like this is going to cost you in region of $2k when you add in bills.
A friend has expressed interest in an extended holiday in the States, so that made it look financially feasible.

This seems to be an extraordinary process, even if it is possible. Have you received anything in writing from Fidelity saying that there is no solution to your issue part from withdrawing the funds? I would not go to these lengths on the basis of phone conversations with them.

This seems to be an industry wide issue, as shown be the link sent by mrken30 :-

https://thunfinancial.com/us-brokers...unts-webinars/

This means there is a problem for US citizens as well as expats.

So it looks like I should be searching for apartments that do a month to month let.

Pulaski Aug 26th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12324207)

The problem is that in engaging in in-depth communications with Fidelity, he may only flag his account as an "issue", which wouod lead to it being closed.

formfill1 Aug 29th 2017 11:15 am

The problem is that in engaging in in-depth communications with Fidelity, he may only flag his account as an "issue", which wouod lead to it being closed.

I've had a number of communications with Fidelity, by phone, mail, and online.
Having the account closed would be the worst outcome, so I want to be careful not to cause this.

Bob Aug 29th 2017 10:27 pm

Over the summer, there are plenty of places that'll do monthly around where I am, and if it's on the coast, weekly. Out of the summer and it's still possible, but usually wanting a year, but you can find condo complexes that'll do monthly for a higher rate, which also tend to be unfurnished and shit.

MidAtlantic Aug 30th 2017 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12327202)
Over the summer, there are plenty of places that'll do monthly around where I am, and if it's on the coast, weekly. Out of the summer and it's still possible, but usually wanting a year, but you can find condo complexes that'll do monthly for a higher rate, which also tend to be unfurnished and shit.

But would they transfer the utilities to you? The whole point is that the OP needs a utility bill at a US address.

Bob Aug 30th 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12327589)
But would they transfer the utilities to you? The whole point is that the OP needs a utility bill at a US address.

Most, yes.

Would probably require a hefty deposit per utility, but it would only be for gas or whatever the heat and electric.

petitefrancaise Aug 30th 2017 3:36 pm

would a bank statement suffice as proof of address?

That would be relatively easy to get even with a month to month let. So long as you have a lease you can get your bank account address changed to that.

Even opening a new bank account is relatively easy.