British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mind That Deer! (Motor Insurance) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mind-deer-motor-insurance-416876/)

Englishmum Jan 4th 2007 4:15 pm

Mind That Deer! (Motor Insurance)

I don't know about many of you fellow expats out there, but in our New Jersey suburb there are often adult deer and their fawns wandering down our street and munching plants in my garden. Most of the locals see them as a problem and our local council is shooting them in the reservation...:mad: but I think they are charming (although concede that I wouldn't think that if I caught Lyme disease.....).

The main problem of course is that so many of the deer are the cause of accidents on the roads....every day for the past few weeks I've seen carcasses of deer road kill rotting away at the side of the roads..:(

There is a report in USA Today (4 Jan edition) stating that many drivers don't realise that they're not covered if involved in a road traffic accident where they hit a deer unless they have comprehensive insurance.

The insurance industry is asking people to double-check their coverage:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ure-usat_x.htm

shorrock Jan 4th 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Mind That Deer! (Motor Insurance)

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4248930)
I don't know about many of you fellow expats out there, but in our New Jersey suburb there are often adult deer and their fawns wandering down our street and munching plants in my garden.

....every day for the past few weeks I've seen carcasses of deer road kill rotting away at the side of the roads..:(

This kinda reminds me of being in Australia. It was 3 years after I arrived in AUS before I saw a live Kangaroo. I think we saw a dead one on the side of the road about 2 times a week from the first day we arrived :)

KS

anotherlimey Jan 4th 2007 5:07 pm

I don't know about many of you fellow expats out there, but in our New Jersey suburb there are often adult deer and their fawns wandering down our street and munching plants in my garden. Most of the locals see them as a problem and our local council is shooting them in the reservation...:mad: but I think they are charming (although concede that I wouldn't think that if I caught Lyme disease.....).

You wouldn't think that if one came through your windshield either.

Hitting a deer isn't like hitting a duck.

Rete Jan 4th 2007 5:13 pm

The deer population is large all over the NE and deer encroachment in human habitats is unavoidable. This is one of the reasons why they have raised the number of deer you are allowed to "bag" in a season.

Up until last year, Six Flags had an agreement, at least with Monmouth County, to pickup any fresh roadkill to be used as food for their safari zoo. Don't know why but the agreement was terminated and now you see the roadkill laying there for days or more before it is picked up.

When my youngest lived in No. Virginia she hit an 8 point buck or rather he tried to jump the car but his hind leg caught in her tire/well and he had to be put down by a passing motorist after permission by the trooper.

Luckily not much damage to her car as she didn't have comp. The awareness of the need for comp inclusion on your policy for animal/car accidents is high in more rural areas but suburban citizens whose only encounters with wild animals might be squirrels or raccoons don't know this. Glad someone is telling them so they will be covered in the evident they have a one on one confrontation with Bambi.

BigDavyG Jan 4th 2007 5:16 pm

I thought this was a thread about Michael Winner

franc11s Jan 4th 2007 5:31 pm

MY Insurance is "dear" :beer:

Ray Jan 4th 2007 10:11 pm

Ithey hit a deer unless they have comprehensive insurance.

N0!!!! They sell collision coverage to Deers...... How do they pay

anabella Jan 4th 2007 11:11 pm

"Thousands of the 1.5 million drivers who hit deer last year found out the hard way that their auto insurance did not cover damage to their vehicle. Only comprehensive insurance pays up in such crashes. "Many people are not aware that the collision coverage under an automobile insurance policy does not cover you if you hit a deer," says Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance Jorge Gomez."

It says first that it doesn't cover damage to the vehicle and later that it doesn't cover you.. :confused:

Manc Jan 4th 2007 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 4250008)
"Thousands of the 1.5 million drivers who hit deer last year found out the hard way that their auto insurance did not cover damage to their vehicle. Only comprehensive insurance pays up in such crashes. "Many people are not aware that the collision coverage under an automobile insurance policy does not cover you if you hit a deer," says Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance Jorge Gomez."

It says first that it doesn't cover damage to the vehicle and later that it doesn't cover you.. :confused:

collision coverage - coverage for your vehicle when you do something daft.........like rear end another car or roll into a ditch

compprehensive - coverage to the vehicle for things outside your control like rock through the windshield, deer accidents, theft.......

and no offense ANYONE whom thinks PLPD would cover them for deer accidents are stupid

as are people whom have collision but no comp.

Bob Jan 5th 2007 5:28 pm

There a bugger...but to keep them off your garden, get some hair trimmings from a hair dresser, it'll help them off...

And moose do far more damage, pretty much sure of righting off your motor if you twonk one...so if you are out in the boonies, get moose lights if you travel early in the morn as there pretty worth it, blindingly bright though, so make sure they ain't connected to the fog lights and have their own switch.

TimFountain Jan 5th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4249113)
The deer population is large all over the NE and deer encroachment in human habitats is unavoidable. .

Don't you mean human encroachment into deer habitat is unavoidable?

Dogbyte Jan 5th 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4252484)
There a bugger...but to keep them off your garden, get some hair trimmings from a hair dresser, it'll help them off...

And moose do far more damage, pretty much sure of righting off your motor if you twonk one...so if you are out in the boonies, get moose lights if you travel early in the morn as there pretty worth it, blindingly bright though, so make sure they ain't connected to the fog lights and have their own switch.

What a lovely phrase "Twonk one" !!

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 7th 2007 5:42 am

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 4252661)
Don't you mean human encroachment into deer habitat is unavoidable?

The Deer have certainly been where I am longer than humans.

We also have Elk, now these are big buggers you definitely do not want to mess with.

We also had the same story on our local news, for the life of me I could not work out why you would buy collision and not comp as well, the cost difference is usually minor.

Perhaps a quite night?

Dogbyte Jan 7th 2007 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4256339)
The Deer have certainly been where I am longer than humans.

We also have Elk, now these are big buggers you definitely do not want to mess with.

We also had the same story on our local news, for the life of me I could not work out why you would buy collision and not comp as well, the cost difference is usually minor.

Perhaps a quite night?

I know its not on subject but seeing your location just to hope your safe and well, with your weather at the mo