British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mincemeat in a box!??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mincemeat-box-338694/)

jamjar Nov 21st 2005 3:37 pm

Mincemeat in a box!???

Yesterday whilst browsing the Christmas section in the Grocery store I came across mincemeat in a packet! A little paper box. Never seen that before. "Classic original condensed mincemeat" Doesn't sound very classic to me. And condensed? Who ever heard of condensed mincemeat? Maybe that accounts for the "original" :eek:

Bob Nov 21st 2005 4:59 pm

Re: Mincemeat in a box!???

I've seen it bottled a plenty...but condensed...you going to be brave enough?

jamjar Nov 21st 2005 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I've seen it bottled a plenty...but condensed...you going to be brave enough?

Absolutely. I'll let you know just exactly how minging it is.

From the back of the packet "If you have any questions or concerns, Call 1888 etc". I find the fact that there is a phone # to handle my concerns just a little, well, concerning.

Sophia_S Nov 21st 2005 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamjar
Yesterday whilst browsing the Christmas section in the Grocery store I came across mincemeat in a packet! A little paper box. Never seen that before. "Classic original condensed mincemeat" Doesn't sound very classic to me. And condensed? Who ever heard of condensed mincemeat? Maybe that accounts for the "original" :eek:

I know sounds awful,but it was all I could find when I first moved over here,it's okay,but I can get the jar now,so always get that,have seen 'real' Robinson's mincemeat in World Market a few times as well!!....Sophia :)

Bob Nov 21st 2005 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I know sounds awful,but it was all I could find when I first moved over here,it's okay,but I can get the jar now,so always get that,have seen 'real' Robinson's mincemeat in World Market a few times as well!!....Sophia :)

That's Robinson's stuff ain't half pricey ain't it...and there's a couple others I've seen...hmmmmm...still easier to buy than bother make it myself though :D

paddingtongreen Nov 21st 2005 8:26 pm

The problem is that once you've had home made, you don't want the commercial stuff again.

TouristTrap Nov 21st 2005 9:54 pm

Anyone have a good recipe for homemade?

Bob Nov 21st 2005 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by izibear
Anyone have a good recipe for homemade?

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...eII63207.shtml that's a pretty good one...

Sophia_S Nov 22nd 2005 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Bob
That's Robinson's stuff ain't half pricey ain't it...and there's a couple others I've seen...hmmmmm...still easier to buy than bother make it myself though :D

Yes, it sure is!,I get the big jar from Walmart(just bought it on saturday),I'm almost sure it's the same brand as the little boxed one,'Nonsuch'?,it makes loads!....What do you guys use for baking the pies?I use the muffin tins and just tuck the pastry in so it only comes half way up the sides.....Sophia

Bob Nov 22nd 2005 4:26 pm

Yes, it sure is!,I get the big jar from Walmart(just bought it on saturday),I'm almost sure it's the same brand as the little boxed one,'Nonsuch'?,it makes loads!....What do you guys use for baking the pies?I use the muffin tins and just tuck the pastry in so it only comes half way up the sides.....Sophia

Hmmm...have to have a look through walmart/target sometime when we're off for a drive, nearest one is 45 mins away *l*...as for pastry...well the missus makes her own and sticks them in muffin tins which do the trick, though that puff pastry thingy out of the roll ain't to bad either....

TouristTrap Nov 22nd 2005 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh gawd. I've lived here too long!!! :p

Sophia_S Nov 22nd 2005 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Hmmm...have to have a look through walmart/target sometime when we're off for a drive, nearest one is 45 mins away *l*...as for pastry...well the missus makes her own and sticks them in muffin tins which do the trick, though that puff pastry thingy out of the roll ain't to bad either....

Yep!,make my own as well,but that pre-made is handy to have on standby....made a batch of 'digestives' yesterday,bloody horrible!,this is the second attempt and second recipe,my husband says they're a perfect 'hard tack'...at least the squirrels and wild rabbits will be happy with their second windfall!...oh well...maybe it'll be third time lucky?!!...after Xmas though!!!...Sophia :o

jamjar Nov 22nd 2005 8:30 pm

Yep!,make my own as well,but that pre-made is handy to have on standby....made a batch of 'digestives' yesterday,bloody horrible!,this is the second attempt and second recipe,my husband says they're a perfect 'hard tack'...at least the squirrels and wild rabbits will be happy with their second windfall!...oh well...maybe it'll be third time lucky?!!...after Xmas though!!!...Sophia :o

An Irish friend in St Louis swears by Graham (as in Graham Crackers) flour when baking biscuit recipes from home. Haven't tried it myself. (Probably cos I hardly ever bake :) I have found digestives in various grocery stores. McVities are hard to come by but Peak Freans which is a Canadian brand are easier to find.

Sophia_S Nov 22nd 2005 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by jamjar
An Irish friend in St Louis swears by Graham (as in Graham Crackers) flour when baking biscuit recipes from home. Haven't tried it myself. (Probably cos I hardly ever bake :) I have found digestives in various grocery stores. McVities are hard to come by but Peak Freans which is a Canadian brand are easier to find.

I haven't tried the Graham cracker flour but I did use the whole wheat flour which was definately the right flour for the digestives,all the ingredients seemed exactly right,the problem seems to be the ammount of liquid used to bind everything together,the recipe called for 4 fluid ounces,or as much as needed...I'm sure I used too much!
We found Digestives in Ontario when we went up to Niagara Falls about five years ago,can't remember what brand they were though,I see Peak Freans brand in most supermarkets around here but never digestives except the McVities only sold in World Market for $3.99 a packet!,I can't understand it because even the people who work in World Market say they simply can't keep them in stock,they sell out within a few days of getting them back in stock...if they're so popular why on earth don't they sell them in the other supermarkets?!,same with the Branston Pickle,although I won't be buying it anymore now I can make it!...Sophia

TouristTrap Nov 23rd 2005 1:41 am

I haven't tried the Graham cracker flour but I did use the whole wheat flour which was definately the right flour for the digestives,all the ingredients seemed exactly right,the problem seems to be the ammount of liquid used to bind everything together,the recipe called for 4 fluid ounces,or as much as needed...I'm sure I used too much!
We found Digestives in Ontario when we went up to Niagara Falls about five years ago,can't remember what brand they were though,I see Peak Freans brand in most supermarkets around here but never digestives except the McVities only sold in World Market for $3.99 a packet!,I can't understand it because even the people who work in World Market say they simply can't keep them in stock,they sell out within a few days of getting them back in stock...if they're so popular why on earth don't they sell them in the other supermarkets?!,same with the Branston Pickle,although I won't be buying it anymore now I can make it!...Sophia

Hey Sophia :)

Why not pester the managers of your local grocery stores to stock up on them. Bug them every time you are in the store and you'll see they'll pay attention and eventually get it stocked.

I did that with Publix down here, with Milo. I went into every single store in the area and bugged them constantly (you couldn't find it then excepting at the expat store for a fortune!), and after about six months, they listened and now they stock it in every Publix store for a great price, and they can't keep it on the shelves either!