British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mince pies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mince-pies-645493/)

brooksy3009 Dec 20th 2009 4:15 am

Mince pies

Hello,

Is it possible to buy Mince Pies in the US?

I just've moved to Washington DC and my local supermarket doesnt sell them. I thought they may not but wanted to see what other people said.

Thanks

anotherlimey Dec 20th 2009 4:28 am

Re: Mince pies

Originally Posted by brooksy3009 (Post 8186457)
Hello,

I just've moved to Washington DC and my local supermarket doesnt sell them. I thought they may not but wanted to see what other people said.

Thanks

I find them in random stores. But they're always better homemade. :)

Ozzidoc Dec 20th 2009 4:39 am

Yep. I bought some today at cost plus world markets.

http://www.worldmarket.com/home/index.jsp

Xebedee Dec 20th 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 8186471)
I find them in random stores. But they're always better homemade. :)

Oooooh yeahhhh......:wub:

- Just made the first batch yesterday -
Started with cheapo US mincemeat (Borden "nonesuch" is the brand)

Rummaged thru the pantry to find anything available worth adding and bunged in some extra and not-so extra ingredients (its fun to experiment) So dumped it all into a pot, heated it up and added sherry, raisins, some cranberries, finely chopped almonds, more sherry, some crumbled up stale bits of trader joes scone (thickener), the last of a bottle of amaretto (not much really), and quite a bit of brown sugar. Sprinkled the tops with more brown sugar.

Smelled terrific, tasted phenomenal.

So, yes - make yer own. :thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Dec 20th 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 8186917)
Oooooh yeahhhh......:wub:

- Just made the first batch yesterday -
Started with cheapo US mincemeat (Borden "nonesuch" is the brand)

Rummaged thru the pantry to find anything available worth adding and bunged in some extra and not-so extra ingredients (its fun to experiment) So dumped it all into a pot, heated it up and added sherry, raisins, some cranberries, finely chopped almonds, more sherry, some crumbled up stale bits of trader joes scone (thickener), the last of a bottle of amaretto (not much really), and quite a bit of brown sugar. Sprinkled the tops with more brown sugar.

Smelled terrific, tasted phenomenal.

So, yes - make yer own. :thumbsup:

I thought about you as soon as I saw this thread.

Saw a recipe earlier...instead of putting a pastry crust on top...top them with a crumble mixture of flour, butter, sugar and cinnamon.

Xebedee Dec 20th 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8186928)
I thought about you as soon as I saw this thread.

Saw a recipe earlier...instead of putting a pastry crust on top...top them with a crumble mixture of flour, butter, sugar and cinnamon.

:)

Strangely interesting and worth a try.

*Is it true that they substitute mushy peas on them for cream up in Yorkshire?*

Jerseygirl Dec 20th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 8186945)
:)

Strangely interesting and worth a try.

*Is it true that they substitute mushy peas on them for cream up in Yorkshire?*

:lol:

As a Sheffielder I'd put Henderson's Relish on top.

http://www.hendersonsrelish.com/

Rete Dec 20th 2009 11:49 am

Hello,

Thanks

You might want to try a bakery. Ours (non-Italian) sells mincemeat pies.

lisa67 Dec 20th 2009 1:58 pm

not sure about where you might find them OP, but here in TX you can get them at World Market, TJ Maxx (if you're lucky), Central Market and Brookshires :thumbsup:

GetYourBritsOut Dec 20th 2009 11:04 pm

I found them last week in our local supermarket in the frozen desert section, they're a full sized pie. I think they're Mrs Smith brand and taste not too bad.

Bob Dec 21st 2009 1:31 am

plenty of places sell them, so hunt around, kiplings tend to be pricey though....but also loads of places sell the jars of the filling and you can make your own easily enough.

NYCbound Dec 21st 2009 2:20 pm

I found jars of mincemeat in Wegmans, and freezedried packets too. Unfortunately these had a used by date of Aug 2009 on the packet.
Oops Wegmans, naughty, naughty!

SEL_boy Dec 21st 2009 3:25 pm

Hello,

Thanks

World Market at Pentagon Row, or Wegman's way out in Fairfax are your best bets. Harris Teeter has some UK stuff - it varies what they have at any one time, but you might be lucy. They certainly have jars of mincemeat and frozen pastry, it's not hard to make your own if you have to...