Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Military Recruiters

Wikiposts

Military Recruiters

Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Military Recruiters

Last person drafted was 1973
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I guess the difference now is that in britain they abandoned National Service, and have not recently poured money into Selective Service.
Both the Marine Corps and the US ARmy have forcibly recalled former members to active duty, showing they cannot cope with Iraq and Afghanistan. Add Iran or any other major deployment into the mix and I'd be nervous if I was under 26.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but - I believe you can be up to 40, but you have to be under 26 to sign up for SS. Also it seems the draft "lottery" is weighted towards younger people - again correct me if I'm wrong - for support roles.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but - I believe you can be up to 40, but you have to be under 26 to sign up for SS. Also it seems the draft "lottery" is weighted towards younger people - again correct me if I'm wrong - for support roles.
Your wrong ..... but in wartime things can always change
http://www.sss.gov/
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your wrong ..... but in wartime things can always change
http://www.sss.gov/
I don't have any wrongs.... !!

About which part?

EDIT: Here's the lottery info: http://www.sss.gov/FSlottery.htm it's skewed towards 20 year olds; but yes you do have to be under 26.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:43 am
Ray

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I don't have any wrongs.... !!

About which part?

EDIT: Here's the lottery info: http://www.sss.gov/FSlottery.htm it's skewed towards 20 year olds; but yes you do have to be under 26.
And there is no vacancies for dually drivers .....
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
And there is no vacancies for dually drivers .....
I haven't got one yet... but I bet they'd become pretty popular if their owners were exempt from the draft.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:54 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

When I was here on a student visa ('87), I had a letter from SS requiring me to register. At the time, it seemed pretty absurd, and I was on a temp visa anyway, so I just ignored it.
The only setback has been that without registering, I could not (theoretically) work for the US Govt.
As things have turned out, I wrote to the SS and recieved a letter back stating that because I did not register and the "window of opportunity" to do so has expired (apparantly, you cannot later register if you neglect to at first), any employment by an agency or the Govt directly will be at their discretion.
One DOE and one DOD clearance later and I'm a non entity with SS. I may just tell my kids to ignore the letter when it comes for them - 'course by then, the policy will probably be concentration camp or armed service.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:57 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
When I was here on a student visa ('87), I had a letter from SS requiring me to register. At the time, it seemed pretty absurd, and I was on a temp visa anyway, so I just ignored it.
The only setback has been that without registering, I could not (theoretically) work for the US Govt.
As things have turned out, I wrote to the SS and recieved a letter back stating that because I did not register and the "window of opportunity" to do so has expired (apparantly, you cannot later register if you neglect to at first), any employment by an agency or the Govt directly will be at their discretion.
One DOE and one DOD clearance later and I'm a non entity with SS. I may just tell my kids to ignore the letter when it comes for them - 'course by then, the policy will probably be concentration camp or armed service.
I think better advice would be to register, in time of peace you may get away with it, and you won't be drafted. But if they start the draft, the dodgers go in the slammer, and then do their service.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:58 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I think better advice would be to register, in time of peace you may get away with it, and you won't be drafted. But if they start the draft, the dodgers go in the slammer, and then do their service.
You are only a dodger if there is a draft and your number is up (!!).
The SS is a "list just in case a draft is started".
How could not registering be construed as draft dodging??
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

The military can be a good career.

Am I right in thinking the issue here for a lot of people is with the car salesman recruitment tactics, not the military as a whole?

Because without a military, the US would've been off the world scene a long time ago, and probably never would have been a nation at all. And as such, you wouldn't be able to drip about it on this board. You want to live here, you have to put up with a lot of crap, including those car salesmen, dodgy service people, and yes, selective service and military recruiters.

Not condoning the Iraq thing, which I think is and always has been a bad idea, even when I was there I thought it was a pointless waste of time, but I think that the Afghan campaign and other counter terrorist actions around the world can only be a good thing.

Pointless and stupid Dubbya world domination is one thing, but safeguarding your way of life is surely a worthy cause.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:54 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I was more than OK when my son talked about going into the Coast Guard and Air force...but I'm not happy with the recruitment tactics of the Army guy...who unlike the others would not stop calling here all the time...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I've seen videos of them hosting pizza parties where they get school kids to come and play America's Army (the online game), and the recruiters try to get them to sign up. They make them think the game is like reality. There are many many stories of them conning kids or helping them cheat to get accepted - not cool.

Now if someone joins entirely of their own free will, thats different. When you join the army, you give up a lot of things and your job is to fight where the army sends you, no questions asked (unless of course the war is illegal).
Its the ARMY - how much pizza would you have to eat ???
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
The military can be a good career.

Am I right in thinking the issue here for a lot of people is with the car salesman recruitment tactics, not the military as a whole?

Because without a military, the US would've been off the world scene a long time ago, and probably never would have been a nation at all. And as such, you wouldn't be able to drip about it on this board. You want to live here, you have to put up with a lot of crap, including those car salesmen, dodgy service people, and yes, selective service and military recruiters.

Not condoning the Iraq thing, which I think is and always has been a bad idea, even when I was there I thought it was a pointless waste of time, but I think that the Afghan campaign and other counter terrorist actions around the world can only be a good thing.

Pointless and stupid Dubbya world domination is one thing, but safeguarding your way of life is surely a worthy cause.
Err...not so sure Afghanistan is a success story
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why make a fuss?

It is only a list.

If it comes to it and you do not want to serve you can take the next plane out, on option not available to most USC's.

Back to worrying how I am going to spend my Lottery winnings.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Err...not so sure Afghanistan is a success story
True, but I wouldn't say it was a waste of time either - at least not ousting the Taleban and giving Al Quaida a kicking - they are, after all the real enemy. If we'd have let that one sit, how many more 9-11's would we have seen now?

Unlike in Iraq, where Saddam was a nasty bully boy tyrant, but posed no threat to us, was not into religion at all, and did not support terrorists. In fact, they are now learning that perhaps there was some method to Saddams madness - he kept his people in check, unlike now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.