Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Military Recruiters

Wikiposts

Military Recruiters

Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:03 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Military Recruiters

Originally Posted by Elvira
What do you mean that's not what I said? The point I made was that someone may be called up to fight even though they are neither a citizen nor a permanent resident. I am not aware of any other country that has the nerve to do this.
Again thats not true ...
What you mean is ..if you apply for AOS THEN you will be enrolled
Anybody on a non-immigrant visa such as H L J etc is exempt ...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Again thats not true ...
What you mean is ..if you apply for AOS THEN you will be enrolled
Anybody on a non-immigrant visa such as H L J etc is exempt ...
I had to enroll for my AOS; I believe you have to be under 26.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I had to enroll for my AOS; I believe you have to be under 26.
Of course you did .. you are supposed to ...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course you did .. you are supposed to ...
I'm not complaining...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:05 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

It just up to us as parents to teach our kids what war is all about...and that you don't join up to get college money..you flip burgers for that...

We had a ton of calls from Military Recruiters...and I'm glad to say my son handled the calls well.....they did try to play on the fact he is a young father...but he is just friends with his sons mother...so the 'plot' as I see it to draw him in with a promise of a home and healthcare was of no interest to him...his son is well taken care of by his family thank you...

I'm not against kids joining up ..if its what they want to do....and that they really understand what joining up means...its not all playing with big guns...school...and travel.......my family has been Army for well over a hundred years....I hope my son would stand up for his country if need be...but to make a full time job out of it... I don't think its really him...and I did not want him talked into it...

He is registered for Selective Service...unlike most of his American friends who know nothing about it.....??

Last edited by krizzy; Aug 25th 2006 at 4:08 am.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:46 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I had to sign up for SS too with my greencard - although with my eyesight, if they ever want me to shoot a gun, then there'd definitely be friendly fire

It's my understanding that SS isn't actually combat though, its more the potato peeling/tank washing side of military life. Ive probably got it wrong and its the US army equivalent of using cows to cross minefields
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Not picking on you Elvira but I tend to agree with the above - if you don't agree with the rules in a country don't move there.
Whether the rules are reasonable or not is irrelevant I'm afraid.

Hope you had a nice trip home.
Got to admit I only thought of it when I got here. What a nightmare if your son gets called up for some moronic war of attrition.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:01 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Titchski
I had to sign up for SS too with my greencard - although with my eyesight, if they ever want me to shoot a gun, then there'd definitely be friendly fire

It's my understanding that SS isn't actually combat though, its more the potato peeling/tank washing side of military life. Ive probably got it wrong and its the US army equivalent of using cows to cross minefields

SS (unfortunate abbrevation) isnt necessarily for infantry, but theres no guarantee...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:11 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
.........It's my understanding that SS isn't actually combat though, its more the potato peeling/tank washing side of military life. Ive probably got it wrong and its the US army equivalent of using cows to cross minefields
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, those signed up for Selective Service could be drafted.

Wasn't a significant proportion of those who went to Vietnam drafted?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:33 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, those signed up for Selective Service could be drafted.

Wasn't a significant proportion of those who went to Vietnam drafted?
They can drafted, that is the purpose of selective service. However, they will only draft if they get into a large, real, war that needs cannon fodder, the pols don't want their kids to have to go.

I came here during the Vietnam war; my visa was a green card then. We were told that we had to sign up for selective service within six months. I don't remember the age limit for signing, but they weren't drafting anyone over 26, with the possible exception of medical doctors. I wasn't worried because I was older and had served my two in another NATO force, the Royal Engineers, and that counted as previous service. Most of the guys who were younger produced documentation that they were their mother's only support, or something like that, or, they bailed.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

It's this militaristic fascist imperial kind of thing that really puts me off getting citizenship. I don't want to bring my children up in this kind of atmostphere. I particularly don't want them having to do the flag salute every morning. Time will tell though if we go back to england or not...

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
They can drafted, that is the purpose of selective service. However, they will only draft if they get into a large, real, war that needs cannon fodder, the pols don't want their kids to have to go.

I came here during the Vietnam war; my visa was a green card then. We were told that we had to sign up for selective service within six months. I don't remember the age limit for signing, but they weren't drafting anyone over 26, with the possible exception of medical doctors. I wasn't worried because I was older and had served my two in another NATO force, the Royal Engineers, and that counted as previous service. Most of the guys who were younger produced documentation that they were their mother's only support, or something like that, or, they bailed.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

or, they bailed.
Navy Conscientious objectors, it saves on bilge pumps.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:56 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
It's this militaristic fascist imperial kind of thing that really puts me off getting citizenship. I don't want to bring my children up in this kind of atmostphere. I particularly don't want them having to do the flag salute every morning. Time will tell though if we go back to england or not...
Perhaps you missed the point that you don't volunteer to do two in the British Army, we were dragged kicking and screaming into our National Service.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

I'm not going to get too drawn in to all of this, but think on...

If you are reading this, thank a teacher,
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier.

Later,

Cranners, Sergeant Royal Engineers
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:02 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps you missed the point that you don't volunteer to do two in the British Army, we were dragged kicking and screaming into our National Service.

I guess the difference now is that in britain they abandoned National Service, and have not recently poured money into Selective Service.
Both the Marine Corps and the US ARmy have forcibly recalled former members to active duty, showing they cannot cope with Iraq and Afghanistan. Add Iran or any other major deployment into the mix and I'd be nervous if I was under 26.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.