Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Military Exchange

Military Exchange

Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:15 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Military Exchange

I know the Army (was an Army wife) have community info on base, I'd be surprised if the Marines didn't as well. Also it is quite likely there will be military discounts offered here and there at restaurants, etc so keep your eyes peeled.

Semper Fi,
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USMC
Hi Halfmoon,

I have heard lots of good things about Wilmington and look forward to visiting. My wife is a bit of a film buff and I understand quite a few movies are filmed their.
I'd live in Wilmington if i could find any software engineering type work around there. I've rented beachfront homes there for vacations.

I've family that live there. The area is very nice and ticks alot of boxes for me.
The largest films studios outside of CA are located there. The downtown historic district is one of the biggest in the US, 300 blocks. Its also a university town.

My favourite beach is Kure beach, i love the pier there or whats left of it now.

http://www.surfchex.com/kure-beach-web-cam.php
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:27 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is America, an Explorer is not big. If you want "big" look at an Expedition ..... it's an SUV body on a F150 truck chassis. The Explorer is now built like a car, without a separate chassis, so it handles much better, and gets better gas mileage.

There's nothing wrong with being afraid of snakes. I tolerate the black ones, and the king snakes, hog-nosed snakes, and garden snakes, but only because they discourage the copperheads, for which I bought a 20 gauge shotgun. Thankfully we don't have rattlers in my area.
If you want big, look at an Excursion.

Excursion > Expedition > Explorer
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
If you want big, look at an Excursion.

Excursion > Expedition > Explorer
But only if you want to buy "used". The Excursion was discontinued as far back as 2006, if I remember correctly, which is why I didn't mention it.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But only if you want to buy "used". The Excursion was discontinued as far back as 2006, if I remember correctly, which is why I didn't mention it.
Suburban isn't a midget either...
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

USMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the recent replies, it all makes interesting reading.

Our time in the US cannot come some enough. The cars you mention in the last few posts are huge, I think the wife would have a heart attack if she had to drive one of those
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Suburban isn't a midget either...
Agreed, but neither is it a Ford, thank you very much!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:25 pm

..... I think the wife would have a heart attack if she had to drive one of those
She may anyway when an 18-wheeler passes her on the interstate doing 75mph, because her "large" Explorer is going to feel very small.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but neither is it a Ford, thank you very much!
A tank is a tank and they're all as horrid to repair and fill up as each other... But it is a fun motor to toddle around in... Less so if you have to park it in a city though
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

North Carolinians are very welcoming and they will LOVE your accent. I got commented on mine all the time. I lived in NC for 15 years (recently moved to Florida) and I never once had any negative comments about being a foreigner They truly love the Brits there.

Over all it's a very laid back state, but quite religious (I only ever knew one other person who didn't go to church and she was a Brit like me). So if you don't go to church or have a strong religious affiliation you may find that a bit of a culture shock. Having said that, not going to church is not going to turn you into Billy No Mates

You get four seasons (although Winter is generally mild), and as Pulaski says it is hot, humid and sticky in the Summer, but as you will be living near the coast that will just be a great excuse for going to the beach

Given that you will be with the US military you will probably get to know people from all over the US who are also stationed there, so that will make it a great way to get a feel for America as a whole.

Schools generally break up for summer at the end of May/beginning of June and then they go back in August. No half-terms, so only the odd days off between August and Christmas, although the kids will get approx 5 days off at ThanksGiving which is usually the fourth Thursday of November. And generally they get a week (sometimes less) at Easter.

Check with the local school system on what vaccinations they need the kids to have in order to enroll, they are quite big on that. My advice would be that if they haven't had the required vaccinations already that you do that before you leave the UK (obtaining confirmation of that so you can bring it with you) so it will be one less thing to worry about when you get here.

When is the planned move?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

USMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We are moving early next year. I have been told that the North Carolinians are very friendly which should make the move that bit easier.

Our eldest son has just started his Hep B course, prior to arrival. I will have to make sure we get proof of all the vaccinations that the boys have had before we leave as you suggest.

That is a huge summer break, will defiantly keep the wife busy I guess that is why a lot of children go off to camp during the holidays.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

That is a huge summer break, will defiantly keep the wife busy I guess that is why a lot of children go off to camp during the holidays.
It is indeed. We rented an apartment for the first 6 years we lived there and we practically lived at the apartment complex pool during the summer

To be honest a lot of parents here feel they have to pack their kids up with so many after school extracurricular activities that not having to rush them around from one thing to the next over the summer is nice and relaxing. I'm sure your kids will have a blast.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue,

I have been told that the North Carolinians are very friendly
Yes they are mostly, but you will want to stay out of the "projects"
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I used to work for a non-profit that helped folk that lived in the "projects" and never had any negative experiences. So not quite sure what you mean. Would you like to clarify?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I haven't heard of anyone refer to "the projects" here in NC. I have spent quite a lot of time over the past ten years in two of the poorest neighborhoods in the city near where I live, and I have invariably found the people there to be welcoming and friendly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.