Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mike the Canadian Goldfish..

Mike the Canadian Goldfish..

Old May 23rd 2002, 6:20 pm
Bonnie M

Default Mike the Canadian Goldfish..

This might seem like a dumb question but Robyn's only pet is Mike the Goldfish. His
big brother won him for Robyn at the local fair last year when he was home on
leave. I checked one website for info on bringing pets to the US, and all I saw was
info on cats and dogs. Has anyone else from Canada brought fish with them and did
you run into any problems at the border? The logistics of getting Mike to FL are
bad enough! Bonnie

Old May 23rd 2002, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike the Canadian Goldfish..

Did you list him on the G-325? Do you have of his Canadian citizenship? I don't know Bonnie. There are serious consequences to bringing an undocumentated alien fish into the US. Will he eat American fish food products or will you have to resort to having Canadian snowbirds bring you new supplies every fall. Will Mike the Goldfish adjust to the change in chlorine in the water or will he require imported Canadian spring water for his little tank?

Nah think if you can figure out how to get him here without jiggling all his water out of the bowl before you hit Florida, you will and should be fine. Unless of course the examiner at the POE makes you take a swig of the water to be sure it is not poisonness or really nitro ;-))))

Rita

PS Loved the pix of Byran ;-)
Old May 23rd 2002, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought my fish with me from Canada in January of 2001 (at least you won't have to worry about Mike freezing!) with no problems. The woman at Customs asked if I had any animals, and when I mentioned my fish, she just shrugged and went on to the next question.

Keep in mind that travel is very hard on fish, and the stress can cause them to be more susceptible to bacterial or viral infections. You might want to add some precautionary anti-stress drops to his water, before, during and for some time after his journey.
Old May 23rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Bonnie M

Rita Mike is one tough goldfish. Between Robyn occasionally forgetting to feed him,
and me forgetting to change his water it's a wonder he's still alive for me to even
worry about! If anyone has to take a swig of his water at the border I guess it best
be Robyn. We are looking for a jar big enough to smuggle Mike in, and will bring lots
of that nice well water from SW Ont til we can wean him unto FL H2O! Bonnie "Rete"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Did you list him on the G-325? Do you have of his Canadian citizenship? I don't
    > know Bonnie. There are serious consequences to bringing an undocumentated alien
    > fish into the US. Will he eat American fish food products or will you have to
    > resort to having Canadian snowbirds bring you new supplies every fall. Will Mike
    > the Goldfish adjust to the change in chlorine in the water or will he require
    > imported Canadian spring water for his little tank?
    >
    > Nah think if you can figure out how to get him here without jiggling all his water
    > out of the bowl before you hit Florida, you will and should be fine. Unless of
    > course the examiner at the POE makes you take a swig of the water to be sure it is
    > not poisonness or really nitro )))
    >
    > Rita
    >
    > PS Loved the pix of Byran
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Jeanie
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 23rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Bonnie M

Hey Perdue Nice to know I am not the only Canuck who moved their fish! ) It's just
that Mike is not just a fish. Bryan, the beloved big brother, won that fish for
Robyn, so that makes Mike a very special fish. And since Robyn is willing to make the
move and leave his grandparents and all his buddies behind, I will do my best to get
Mike to FL in good shape. Bonnie "Perdue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I brought my fish with me from Canada in January of 2001 (at least you won't have
    > to worry about Mike freezing!) with no problems. The woman at Customs asked if I
    > had any animals, and when I mentioned my fish, she just shrugged and went on to the
    > next question.
    >
    > Keep in mind that travel is very hard on fish, and the stress can cause them to be
    > more susceptible to bacterial or viral infections. You might want to add some
    > precautionary anti-stress drops to his water, before, during and for some time
    > after his journey.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 24th 2002, 6:20 am
Skaternl

http://www.customs.gov/impoexpo/impoexpo.htm

Check out this page, tells you about importing fish. Though, I have a feeling that
Mike is not considered endangered wildlife species Other then that, good luck with
getting Mike in Florida. Maybe your local pet store has some tips about moving a fish
a few thousand miles

Daniel

"Bonnie M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > This might seem like a dumb question but Robyn's only pet is Mike the Goldfish. His
    > big brother won him for Robyn at the local fair last year when he was home on
    > leave. I checked one website for info on bringing pets to the US, and all I saw was
    > info on cats and dogs. Has anyone else from Canada brought fish with them and did
    > you run into any problems at the border? The logistics of getting Mike to FL are
    > bad enough! Bonnie