Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Migration Agent / Relocation Services?

Migration Agent / Relocation Services?

Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:13 am
Just Joined

AshesUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migration Agent / Relocation Services?

I am a US citizen and my husband and I will be moving to Portland Oregon once we sort out his Green Card and passports for our children. We're looking at a moving date sometime in February/March of next year.

I am looking for a Migration Agent, someone who can help with the whole moving package, work, place to live, schools, relocation animals and our belongings etc. I obviously don't know the right search terms for these people as Google keeps giving me just removal companies which isn't what I'm after.

I'm pretty sure that an agent will be beyond our price range for everything we need but perhaps they will be able to help with one or two areas (mainly work/houses) which are the hardest to do at a distance.

Any other help/ideas also greatly appreciated. I've not lived in the States since I was 12 and we'll be going with a 4 year old, a baby, 2 cats and a dog so things will be a big manic!

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migration Agent / Relocation Services?

Originally Posted by AshesUK
I I am looking for a Migration Agent, someone who can help with the whole moving package, work, place to live, schools, relocation animals and our belongings etc. I obviously don't know the right search terms for these people as Google keeps giving me just removal companies which isn't what I'm after.
!
Forget the agents ..more crooks than a shepherd ..

Start here .. http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...iv/immrel.html
Old Apr 28th 2007, 5:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am a US citizen and my husband and I will be moving to Portland Oregon once we sort out his Green Card and passports for our children. We're looking at a moving date sometime in February/March of next year.

I am looking for a Migration Agent, someone who can help with the whole moving package, work, place to live, schools, relocation animals and our belongings etc. I obviously don't know the right search terms for these people as Google keeps giving me just removal companies which isn't what I'm after.

I'm pretty sure that an agent will be beyond our price range for everything we need but perhaps they will be able to help with one or two areas (mainly work/houses) which are the hardest to do at a distance.

Any other help/ideas also greatly appreciated. I've not lived in the States since I was 12 and we'll be going with a 4 year old, a baby, 2 cats and a dog so things will be a big manic!

Thanks for any help!

hey AshesUK,
You must've forgotten how nice people in the PNW are. Lots of folks will help you with the work/living situation online, and there are several resources that make it easy. Portland is still very fast-growing, and there are a lot of folk reclocating here without visiting first.

The daily newspaper with its classified ads can be found here: www.oregonlive.com
The weekly alternative paper and its online classifieds is here: www.wweek.com
The latest greatest that none of us can live without is here: http://portland.craigslist.org/

Those three links should get you rolling on contacts and reading should give you an idea about neighborhoods etc.

Feel free to send me a message or email if you need some other leads.

PS: to actually answer your question.. I dont' know anyone who specializes in just doing that.. maybe you've opened a new line of business for me!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ray, but that link isn't working for me, tried adding a www and that didn't work either.

Also thanks meauxna, we do know how nice people are in Portland, I think I'm just a bit worried about having to organise the whole thing myself as I am having a baby in July so things will be a little stressful for a while! We want to move as soon as we can though really so I will keep looking at Craigslist, my husband reads Oregonlive daily and I will check out the other site you recommended.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray, but that link isn't working for me, tried adding a www and that didn't work either.
Its the US embassy london site
try this
http://funkurl.com/sshb
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Its the US embassy london site
try this
http://funkurl.com/sshb
nope, that doesn't work either I'm afraid. We've got all the Green Card information, I'm just waiting to hear back from them on the Affidavit of Support as I'm a stay at home Mother and we will all be moving to Portland together so it could be tricky to provide that. I think we're set with documentation besides that.

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

nope, that doesn't work either I'm afraid. We've got all the Green Card information, I'm just waiting to hear back from them on the Affidavit of Support as I'm a stay at home Mother and we will all be moving to Portland together so it could be tricky to provide that. I think we're set with documentation besides that.

Thanks!
Does that mean that you have not yet submitted your I-864?
You may be able to satisfy the I-864 with assets (UK home equity being a popular source) at a rate of 3:1 or a US-based Joint Sponsor. Speak up if you're suffering this--many of us have completed the move back from overseas.

Suggest you hit the USA forum here for hints n tips on movers/shipping companies (removals, whatever) if you're going to ship a bunch of household stuff. We already had a houseload here, so we left most everything else on the other side (sold it off as best we could).

What works for me is obsessive list making/line crossing out. It helps me feel more in control if I break thing out by 'type' --- for example, you know that for most of the schools here (public) which one will be determined by where you live. So if schools are the primary thing to help you choose your neighborhood, start there. If the overall quality of the neighborhood is more important, start with 'how far to walk to Starbucks' or whatever your criteria.

Of course, I've never had a baby, so I can't imagine what your mind is on these days

Another site I'll bet you will like is http://www.portlandmaps.com/
It will give you all sorts of neighborhood data including school districts etc.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Hi AshesUK, welcome back to Portland!
I am also in the area (towards Salem). I don't know how long it is since you've been here, but even since I first came there has been a lot of growth. Jobs would seem to be the first order of things, perhaps before deciding on an area to live. For instance you probably wouldn't want to be living in 'Happy Valley' and then find work in Hillsboro! So renting to start, then think about buying? There are loads of nice apartments in different areas.
Best wishes!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Does that mean that you have not yet submitted your I-864?
You may be able to satisfy the I-864 with assets (UK home equity being a popular source) at a rate of 3:1 or a US-based Joint Sponsor. Speak up if you're suffering this--many of us have completed the move back from overseas.

Suggest you hit the USA forum here for hints n tips on movers/shipping companies (removals, whatever) if you're going to ship a bunch of household stuff. We already had a houseload here, so we left most everything else on the other side (sold it off as best we could).

What works for me is obsessive list making/line crossing out. It helps me feel more in control if I break thing out by 'type' --- for example, you know that for most of the schools here (public) which one will be determined by where you live. So if schools are the primary thing to help you choose your neighborhood, start there. If the overall quality of the neighborhood is more important, start with 'how far to walk to Starbucks' or whatever your criteria.

Of course, I've never had a baby, so I can't imagine what your mind is on these days

Another site I'll bet you will like is http://www.portlandmaps.com/
It will give you all sorts of neighborhood data including school districts etc.
We've not submitted anything yet, now that I've heard back from the Embassy that we can use the equity in our house for the affidavit of support I will buy some black printer ink, print off the form and get going with it! We don't have anyone in the States who could sponsor us unfortunately so we needed to double check that we could do it on our own.

We won't be moving all that much, just a few bits furniture, toys, books, dvds and cds, definitely not a full house full, part of the moving is being able to clear out all the stuff we don't really like/want and start again!

We have an idea where we'd like to live (East) so I need to check schools really as that will be the most important thing for us and will determine where we move. We would like to rent to start with to make sure we're in the right area and then when we're settled a bit we can decide whether to buy or not.

Thanks for the site, I will add it to my list!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Hi AshesUK, welcome back to Portland!
I am also in the area (towards Salem). I don't know how long it is since you've been here, but even since I first came there has been a lot of growth. Jobs would seem to be the first order of things, perhaps before deciding on an area to live. For instance you probably wouldn't want to be living in 'Happy Valley' and then find work in Hillsboro! So renting to start, then think about buying? There are loads of nice apartments in different areas.
Best wishes!
We were in Portland end of October/start of November, so not that long ago, although it feels like a long time ago! I agree it will be important that my husband not have to travel forever to get to work, especially as he will be on public transport. Unfortunately the all the important things like house and job are things that have to wait until right before we move.

We want to rent and then think about buying, we will need a house rather than apartment though, unless it has a garden, what with a child, 2 cats and a dog they need somewhere outside to go!

Thanks!