Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Might have to wear Johnny?!!!

Might have to wear Johnny?!!!

Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Might have to wear Johnny?!!!

I was at the doctors today and the nurse told me that I "don't need to wear a johnny today!" I was a bit taken aback and confused at her intentions but then realised she meant one of those medical smock things. Apparently they are called a johnny! I'll get them Yanks back by going to Staples and asking for a pack of rubbers!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might have to wear Johnny?!!!

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I was at the doctors today and the nurse told me that I "don't need to wear a johnny today!" I was a bit taken aback and confused at her intentions but then realised she meant one of those medical smock things. Apparently they are called a johnny! I'll get them Yanks back by going to Staples and asking for a pack of rubbers!
Smocks are called johnnies? That's news to me....but would love to hear you ask for a pack of rubbers....yeah that'll really get 'em back....
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Imagine the look of suprise as the nurse threw out the plastic covering the Johnny was covered in
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Would someone be so kind to explain to a dutchman what a smock/johnny is?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Would someone be so kind to explain to a dutchman what a smock/johnny is?
Medical scrubs ...
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Medical scrubs ...
Thanks.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Medical scrubs ...
A smock is a medical scrub?
Old Sep 12th 2005, 2:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I worked in a hospital as a Candystriper and then nurse's aide and we called 'em johnnies.
Btw, I have heard rubbers used as a term for condoms here in the US by authentic USCs.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Mr Dutchman, the smock/johnny in question is a kind of gown you wear for having a medical examination. A Johnny or rubber johnny is also slang for condom in Britain.

Hence the joke about the Irishman who thought Johnny Cash was the change from the condom machine!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
..... BTW, I have heard rubbers used as a term for condoms here in the US by authentic USCs.
Well that's not surprising - I thought that a "rubber" was used nationwide by Americans ("authentic", and otherwise ) as slang for a condom. ..... The joke is that American staff in Staples (or other stationery supply store) would be startled to have someone ask for a pack of "rubbers". [Duh! ]