Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Midwest Airlines in Trouble

Midwest Airlines in Trouble

Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midwest Airlines in Trouble

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...=51942250.blog

I've got tickets from NY to Milwaukee in a couple of weeks. What happens if an airline goes out of business? Do they refund tickets or do you lose out? Does anyone here work in the industry or know anything more about this situation? Is my flight likely to get cancelled?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:48 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwest Airlines in Trouble

Originally Posted by pejpm1

I've got tickets from NY to Milwaukee in a couple of weeks. What happens if an airline goes out of business? Do they refund tickets or do you lose out? Does anyone here work in the industry or know anything more about this situation? Is my flight likely to get cancelled?
If Midwest goes belly up, the odds are pretty good that you would get bumped onto a different airline.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:37 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If Midwest goes belly up, the odds are pretty good that you would get bumped onto a different airline.
That's if they have an agreement already in place with another airline. Some like ATA go belly up and you are SOL. Your best bet would be to call the airline themselves and find out. Every airline is different.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you've paid by credit card check with the CC company...they probably cover you for any loss.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:54 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
That's if they have an agreement already in place with another airline. Some like ATA go belly up and you are SOL. Your best bet would be to call the airline themselves and find out. Every airline is different.
Fair enough. Northworst, er I mean Northwest owns a substantial minority interest in Midwest, so I would guess that they'll pick up the slack.

If you bought the tickets recently and you aren't given an alternative flight, then Jerseygirl is right, you should be able to dispute it with your credit card company and get a refund.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. Northworst, er I mean Northwest owns a substantial minority interest in Midwest, so I would guess that they'll pick up the slack.

If you bought the tickets recently and you aren't given an alternative flight, then Jerseygirl is right, you should be able to dispute it with your credit card company and get a refund.
to be honest I dont even care about the money, I just want to make sure I get there! I'm sure we'll figure something out if the worst happens. I suppose its the kind of thing I cant really second guess...I'm just going to hang on for now and then make sure I have a backup flight to chicago if nessecary!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:57 pm
Bloody Yank

to be honest I dont even care about the money, I just want to make sure I get there! I'm sure we'll figure something out if the worst happens. I suppose its the kind of thing I cant really second guess...I'm just going to hang on for now and then make sure I have a backup flight to chicago if nessecary!
If you have a tight schedule and are that concerned, I'd rebook with a different airline. Getting bumped would likely be quite inconvenient and probably involve a stopover, given the lack of carriers that hub in Milwaukee.

Cross your fingers. Midwest is a good carrier, it would be a shame if it went under.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

well northwest feeds my family every month as i am working there!!! There is big trouble out there with the high cost of fuel... its killing us all...