Microscopes

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:20 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Microscopes

Can one of you scientific type geniuses out there tell me which one of these is a better deal or point me in another direction? I'm slightly more concerned with quality than $$ but need to keep it under $200.00. I realize with optics, you (usually) get what you pay for and I realize that poor quality optics are worse than useless. Also bear in mind, this is for a kid to look at stuff, probably bugs and toenails and scabs and the like, not work or school.

Thanks in advance for your brilliant advice!

Scope 1:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3029647

Scope 2:

http://www.discoverthis.com/first-di...icroscope.html

Scope 3:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3083024

Scope 4:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3119400
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Microscopes

Someone called for a scientific genius?

For what your kids will be looking at, I would suggest:

Scope 5: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3119501

The four scopes you listed are intended for transmitted light illumination of thin sections, or very tiny transparent objects, mounted on slides. Bacteria, pollen, mold spores, thin slices of plant material, etc. Trying to look at anything large, irregular, or opaque won't work. Scope 5 is a stereo dissecting microscope suited to reflective illumination of larger objects. That site has other examples that are more flexible, but are much more expensive.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:58 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Someone called for a scientific genius?

For what your kids will be looking at, I would suggest:

Scope 5: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3119501

The four scopes you listed are intended for transmitted light illumination of thin sections, or very tiny transparent objects, mounted on slides. Bacteria, pollen, mold spores, thin slices of plant material, etc. Trying to look at anything large, irregular, or opaque won't work. Scope 5 is a stereo dissecting microscope suited to reflective illumination of larger objects. That site has other examples that are more flexible, but are much more expensive.

Thank you sir! That's given me something to think about. Most of the "Things to do with your new microscope" books and kits deal with stuff that goes on slides. My way of thinkg was, as soon as they run out of stuff on slides they are going to want to look at whatever is handy. So it appears I'm going to have to confirm my criteria with the person that told me (at 4am this morning) " Your daughter said she wants a microscope for Christmas, get on the internet at work and see if you can find something."
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another one that has more magnification options, but is $250:

http://www.dissectingmicroscope.com/001b000m.html
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:00 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Here's another one that has more magnification options, but is $250:

http://www.dissectingmicroscope.com/001b000m.html
Here we go...

Why the hell is it that I always want the thing that is more than my budget?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another thing to keep in mind: I can tell you from personal experience that a stereo dissecting scope + fine forceps = the perfect kit for getting splinters out of fingers
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Here we go...

Why the hell is it that I always want the thing that is more than my budget?
You could try eBay perhaps. I checked American Science & Surplus, but anything with variable magnification is expensive. Higher magnification isn't always better, though.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Another thing to keep in mind: I can tell you from personal experience that a stereo dissecting scope + fine forceps = the perfect kit for getting splinters out of fingers
That's damn near worth the $$ by itself. It would be just the ticket, wouldn't it?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:16 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My dad got me one of those kits for Xmas when I was 12, it had a pickled frog in it, sea monkey larvae and a good microscope with slides and tools for dissecting the frog (). I enjoyed it.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I noticed a banner ad at the bottom of the page: Microscopes at Low Price. A couple of clicks later, and look what I found

lots of scopes in your price range
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a swimming pool, beach or other location with hot babes nearby? Then what are you doing looking at microbes and stuff. Get a telescope and really take in the scenery

I like these big Dobsonian jobs. Big and you can see all sorts of wild things from space to your neighbors.

http://www.telescope.com/control/dobsonian-telescopes
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:47 pm
Unmitigated Gall

I noticed a banner ad at the bottom of the page: Microscopes at Low Price. A couple of clicks later, and look what I found

lots of scopes in your price range
Well look at that...

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Do you have a swimming pool, beach or other location with hot babes nearby? Then what are you doing looking at microbes and stuff. Get a telescope and really take in the scenery

I like these big Dobsonian jobs. Big and you can see all sorts of wild things from space to your neighbors.

http://www.telescope.com/control/dobsonian-telescopes
I'd need something a lot bigger than that to see the closest beach.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Well look at that...

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Maybe brainiacs caleyjag and dbj will have some ideas as well. Now I'm off to see what banner ads are turning up in the gun and circumcision threads.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Maybe brainiacs caleyjag and dbj will have some ideas as well. Now I'm off to see what banner ads are turning up in the gun and circumcision threads.
I really hope that is a gun thread and a circumcision thread and we haven't become overrun by extremist mohels.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:42 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Philgr
I really hope that is a gun thread and a circumcision thread and we haven't become overrun by extremist mohels.
They are generally armed with knives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.