Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Micro Chips on US Credit Cards

Micro Chips on US Credit Cards

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 10:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Micro Chips on US Credit Cards

Mrs L dropped her credit card onto the tiles in our kitchen and the micro chip came off. Seems like these are only stuck onto an indentation on the surface of the card and not a permanent part of the card. Well the Chase ones anyway, who said the chips coming off is not uncommon. Their concern was we could account for the chip.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Micro Chips on US Credit Cards

My mom uses Chase and when I visiting her in February she was telling me how the chip on her cards kept falling off and she was having to go and get new cards since they would not work without the chip. Chase told her they were isolated incidents and not common.

I have dropped my cards, washed my cards up here in Canada and never had a chip fall off yet, they are secured onto the card pretty dang good and looking at my cards the chip seems to be embedded into the card, I can't see anyway it would fall out.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if any of the big banks (Chase, BoA, Wells Fargo, etc) are going to start offering chip and PIN? When I visited the UK recently, I had to use my UK VISA debit card at pay-at-the-pump gas stations because none of my Chase cards have chip and PIN. I understand that US Barclays offers a Barclaycard that has chip and PIN, but I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of getting another credit card at the time.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
Does anyone know if any of the big banks (Chase, BoA, Wells Fargo, etc) are going to start offering chip and PIN? When I visited the UK recently, I had to use my UK VISA debit card at pay-at-the-pump gas stations because none of my Chase cards have chip and PIN. I understand that US Barclays offers a Barclaycard that has chip and PIN, but I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of getting another credit card at the time.
B of A might, their website seems to indicate a PIN can be requested.

"To request your credit card PIN: Sign in to Online Banking. You may also request your PIN using our Mobile Banking app or by calling the number on the back of your card."

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...formation-faq/
Old Jul 15th 2019, 10:53 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I've received PINs for all of my credit cards (American Express, Discover, Chase, Farm Bureau Bank) but I can't say I've ever been asked to actually input the PIN other than for a debit transaction.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

My Chase didn't come with a PIN, not the Amex. The Wells Fargo debit card did though. It's fun watching UK staff look perplexed at what to do next, since many have never had to print out a receipt for signing and don't even know they can do so. It seems unlikely it will ever be truly Chip and PIN here given the infrastructure challenges and the fact that Banks are not really pushing it either. Wells certainly started using it in their advertising, but that is more likely them trying to look like they are changed from their dodgy past!
Old Jul 16th 2019, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really nice

Have had issue with Chase card chip as well. In fairness to them they expressed a new card without question or delay. The other issue of chip and pin is entirely different. Have been back in UK for extended visit and found that once out of London and tourist areas, i very quickly encounterd a real hostility and great suspicion of a British accent holding a USA issued card that wont chip and pin.
In the end it was best to get a multi currency account through my bank who liased with Nat West in the UK.
Everyone in the UK thinks you are a Russian money launderer now!! 😀
Old Jul 16th 2019, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

My US HSBC credit card came with a Chip and PIN and is contactless, usable for amounts less than €30 or £30. Every other higher amount a signature is required. In Ypres, Belgium, they didn’t know how to handle it and never asked for my signature. Early in the vacation at a pharmacy I tried to explain but in the end the pharmacist signed the receipt himself and gave it back to me. After that I didn’t bother trying to explain if they didn’t ask me to sign.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I've also received pins for both of my credit cards (Wells Fargo & Capital One).

Apple Pay is certainly becoming more of a thing here, which I'm happy about. Still baffles me three years after living here the amount of places that I can still only swipe my card.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve never had problems with a chip falling off my credit card. Had a Chase card for over 23 years...it’s a metal card maybe that’s why.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

On the question of using US cards in the UK, just back and had no issues whatsoever. Even going round some of the more lesser inhabited parts of the Highlands had no issue - the machines just spat out a sign form and a signature was requested. It was a slight pain on the London Underground system where the machines didn’t like the cards and I had to go stand in a queue to speak to a person, but otherwise fine. Had more of a problem using Scottish banknote in England.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
On the question of using US cards in the UK, just back and had no issues whatsoever. Even going round some of the more lesser inhabited parts of the Highlands had no issue - the machines just spat out a sign form and a signature was requested. It was a slight pain on the London Underground system where the machines didn’t like the cards and I had to go stand in a queue to speak to a person, but otherwise fine. Had more of a problem using Scottish banknote in England.
our US cards are also contactless so anything under £30 requires no signature which is very useful. A couple of weeks ago the contactless feature also worked on the toll roads in France which was very convenient.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 2:40 am
Just Joined

msk2uon is an unknown quantity at this point

"our US cards are also contactless so anything under £30 requires no signature which is very useful. A couple of weeks ago the contactless feature also worked on the toll roads in France which was very convenient."

which US card is this?

Last edited by msk2uon; Nov 1st 2019 at 3:20 am.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msk2uon
"our US cards are also contactless so anything under £30 requires no signature which is very useful. A couple of weeks ago the contactless feature also worked on the toll roads in France which was very convenient."

which US card is this?
My Chase freedom CC is contactless.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by msk2uon

which US card is this?
This is the HSBC USA credit card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.