British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Michigan Jails Ordered to Limit Shackle Use (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/michigan-jails-ordered-limit-shackle-use-408057/)

kingfisher241049 Nov 14th 2006 2:53 pm

Michigan Jails Ordered to Limit Shackle Use

http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_3R3TO...&feed=ap&top=1

BrigieDarling Nov 14th 2006 3:54 pm

Re: Michigan Jails Ordered to Limit Shackle Use

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049

I've always watched CNN hoping to catch a glimpse of Manc in shackles!

Oh well, that's that! :p

kingfisher241049 Nov 14th 2006 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling

OOOOOOOOH!! into being tied up are you? :D :rolleyes:

Elvira Nov 14th 2006 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling

Is that all you have to say? :rolleyes:

" federal judge has ordered prison officials in Michigan to immediately cease the use of non-medical, punitive restraints following the death of a mentally ill inmate who died after four days spent naked and shackled in an isolated cell..........
Souders, 21, spent most of his last four days naked inside an isolation cell at the Southern Michigan Correctional Facility in Jackson, his arms and legs bound in shackles and sometimes lying in his own urine. He died Aug. 6, two hours after jail staff removed his restraints. "

Bob Nov 14th 2006 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is that all you have to say? :rolleyes:

Did you hear about that town in Texas that got rated the most bigoted town in the country after passing local laws that will fine landlords highly for taking tenants that are illegal, for allowing cops to arrest people who look "foreign" who don't have proof of a legal visa on them (which is illegal, Federal law and all that about ICE being only people able to ask your immigration status) and a few other fun things....

Silly Sod Nov 14th 2006 8:53 pm

"The court finds that the defendant's practice constitutes torture and violates the Eighth Amendment," Enslen wrote in his ruling.

Hmmm, and yet Abu Ghraib didn't? Count as torture I mean. Obviosly Iraqi's aren't covered by the eight amendment.

Thydney Nov 14th 2006 10:36 pm

This is what happens when you put mental patients in an environment that isn't made to deal with them. Have you ever tried to deal with a raging nutter? When you have criticise others who do. I have watched them punch dents in steel doors or take 4 or 5 staff to subdue them I've met guys who have had their jaws broken through a riot helmet by a nutter. Sometimes reciprocal violence or harsh restraint is the only answer. I'm sure the staff didn't want him to die but they probably hadn't got an answer suited to his problems.

Elvira Nov 14th 2006 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
This is what happens when you put mental patients in an environment that isn't made to deal with them. Have you ever tried to deal with a raging nutter? When you have criticise others who do. I have watched them punch dents in steel doors or take 4 or 5 staff to subdue them I've met guys who have had their jaws broken through a riot helmet by a nutter. Sometimes reciprocal violence or harsh restraint is the only answer. I'm sure the staff didn't want him to die but they probably hadn't got an answer suited to his problems.

Seeing that they must have known that the restraints were not appropriate, WTF did they not monitor him?

A 21-year old kid dying like a dog - this just makes me sick!

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2006 11:07 pm

Seeing that they must have known that the restraints were not appropriate, WTF did they not monitor him?

A 21-year old kid dying like a dog - this just makes me sick!

Elvira...you seem a little prickly today...take some time out and pour yourself a large one. :beer:

Elvira Nov 14th 2006 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Elvira...you seem a little prickly today...take some time out and pour yourself a large one. :beer:

Don't worry, I already have :beer:

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2006 11:12 pm

Don't worry, I already have :beer:

Maybe you should try another. :beer:

Elvira Nov 14th 2006 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Maybe you should try another. :beer:

Good idea. Your shout :p

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2006 11:16 pm