Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Michigan Get Together

Michigan Get Together

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:17 am
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice
Arrow Michigan Get Together

Hi All,

Well, it isn't a huge amount of notice, but we would like to invite all of you in Michigan area to a Michigan get together. We are going to meet up in Mackniaw City, MI the weekend of October 8, 9, 10. Thing2 and I have already made reservations at a pet friendly hotel ( Econo Lodge: http://www.mackinaw-city.com/lodgin...lodge/index.php ) up there as we are bringing our beloved "special needs" dachshund with us. We hope to spend at least one full day bicycling around Mackinac Island ( http://www.mackinac.com/ ) and just seeing the sights in general up North.

We hope some of you will be able to join us. Please let us know if you plan to attend the get together so we can exchange contact information privately.

Cheers!

thing1
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michigan Get Together

Nice idea... unfortunately I will be in england.

Ash
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 4:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thing1
Hi All,

Well, it isn't a huge amount of notice, but we would like to invite all of you in Michigan area to a Michigan get together. We are going to meet up in Mackniaw City, MI the weekend of October 8, 9, 10. Thing2 and I have already made reservations at a pet friendly hotel ( Econo Lodge: http://www.mackinaw-city.com/lodgin...lodge/index.php ) up there as we are bringing our beloved "special needs" dachshund with us. We hope to spend at least one full day bicycling around Mackinac Island ( http://www.mackinac.com/ ) and just seeing the sights in general up North.

We hope some of you will be able to join us. Please let us know if you plan to attend the get together so we can exchange contact information privately.

Cheers!

thing1
I'll talk to the better half about meeting you guys up there or something for the day.
about time we all sorted something out anyhoo.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 4:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I will be in england.
jammy sod
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
jammy sod
Yeah I know can't wait. Keep ya fingers crossed that emily (my little girl) is good on the flights as I am flying back alone with her

Ash
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 4:21 am
@matthewb76

Yeah I know can't wait. Keep ya fingers crossed that emily (my little girl) is good on the flights as I am flying back alone with her

Ash
funny that you're more worried about taking her on the plane, I'd be more worried about taking her within 50 miles of Darlington.

she should sleep most of the night time going over there, it's the daytime flight comingback you might have to entertain her.

My sister just met us in Canada with her 5 year old twins, she said the kids thought they were on a big bus.

Last edited by Manc; Sep 23rd 2004 at 4:38 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Manc
funny that you're more worried about taking her on the plane, I'd be more worried about taking her within 50 miles of Darlington.

she should sleep most of the night time going over there, it's the daytime flight comingback you might have to entertain her.

My sister just met us in Canada with her 5 year old twins, she said the kids thought they were on a big bus.
LOL your right about some parts of Darlington... these are :scared: esp Skern Park.

Ash
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Nice idea... unfortunately I will be in england.

Ash
Oooo Ash you kept that quiet .... have a great time !!!
and yep we reckon we'll probably meet up with whoevers going although not sure whats on in Mackinaw in October the place begins to close for the winter about that time.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:46 pm

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
yep we reckon we'll probably meet up with whoevers going although not sure whats on in Mackinaw in October the place begins to close for the winter about that time.
We assumed it would be darn near off season up there making lodging quite a bit more affordable for most folks. Also, we have heard how beautiful fall is in that part of the state and that it is a "must see". Given the weather we have been having, I'm thinking the fall colors could be spectacular this year. I think every Brit in this state should see the Mackinac Bridge at least once. We've been told we should drive along part of the coast line for a scenic view.

We're not too worried about gobs of shops being open. Give us at least one restaurant/pub where we can socialize with some of you and we will be happy. Hopefully, y'all won't be bothered if 70% of the shops are closed if your have wonderful company. Anyone have suggestions for an initial meeting place? The Pink Pony Bar & Grill maybe? I've never been there so I can only go by what I see and read online. Your suggestions would be very appreciated.

We were planning for Saturday, October 9, 2004 to be the actual "get together". There aren't any "activities" planned. This is just meant to be a social gathering where we can kick back, have a few drinks and get to know some of the other UK/US couples here in Michigan. Hopefully we'll all come away from it with a few more friends than we had before.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:10 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by thing1
I think every Brit in this state should see the Mackinac Bridge at least once.

We were planning for Saturday, October 9, 2004 to be the actual "get together".
I had dinner with Jan and her better half +kids last month, we were only 20 or so miles from the bridge, so I went to see it. A week later I went to Sault Ste Marie. So after being here almost 4 years without going to the UP, I went twice in a week.

October 9th sounds good to me. If it's gonna be a liquid meet then we might look into staying the night up there somewhere.

you going to invite Jen & Chris too? we haven't seen them in a while.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Things ... fall up here is wonderful although some of trees have gotten a head start and were turning last month !!

The pink pony is ok and so is the Dixie saloon (formerly McDonalds) which is right by Sheplers at the top of main street.

Again ... let us know and we'll meet you there !!
Old Sep 24th 2004, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ok .. the pink pony is ON Mackinac Island, so the question is are we all going to go over to the island for a meet or stay in Mackinaw City and have a couple of drinkies n maybe something to eat there ? it looks like the last ferry to leave the island is 10pm.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
ok .. the pink pony is ON Mackinac Island, so the question is are we all going to go over to the island for a meet or stay in Mackinaw City and have a couple of drinkies n maybe something to eat there ? it looks like the last ferry to leave the island is 10pm.
Doh! I didn't know that!

Hmmmmm....

I actually had in mind that it would be an afternoon meet up...and we really want to see the island as I'm sure others who have never been up there would like to see it as well, so just thought the island would be the natural place to meet up. Perhaps we could initially meet up on the island (those of us who want to sight see) and then meet up at a second location in Mackinaw City. Those of you who have "been there, done that" on Mackinac Island can meet us at a restaurant/pub in Mackinaw City later in the evening if you so wish. What do y'all think? Would that work for everyone?

Manc, perhaps getting lodging would be a good idea if yer planning on having a few rounds with some of yer fellow countrymen (and women). We only booked our room for one night, but are now thinking that two nights would be better.

I'm going to have a looksee at what is in Mackinaw City pub wise now.

Last edited by thing1; Sep 24th 2004 at 2:23 am.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 3:35 am

The Dixie Saloon looks good to me ( http://www.dixiesaloon.com/ ) for dinner and drinks. They actually have items on the menu that this vegetarian can eat which is a rarity in here in the midwest.

So dinner and drinks at 7:00 pm at the Dixie Saloon October 9,2004? Does that sound okay to all of you?

I still have to think about the island thingy.

Manc, I posted about the get together in our UK/US couple group so Jenn should be aware of it since she is the moderator of the group, yet hasn't mentioned anything about going. I will privately e-mail them and ask if they are going to join us. Apparently they just got their AOS appointment letter and are very happy at the moment.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

just a little side .... its the Charlevoix apple festival that weekend too, so if youre driving thru be sure to pick up some apple / cinnamon doughnuts and fresh unpasteurised apple juice yummmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.