British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Michael Jackson - Verdict (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/michael-jackson-verdict-308454/)

Englishmum Jun 13th 2005 8:59 pm

Breaking News: Michael Jackson - Verdict

I'm glued to CNN right now...the verdict Has been be read (5.18pm ET).

If you can't get to a telly, go to http://www.reuters.com or http://www.reuters.co.uk ;)

sibsie Jun 13th 2005 9:01 pm

Re: Michael Jackson - Verdict

BBC are streaming it too. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4604027.stm

My money's on a NG verdict but I think he's guilty.

sibsie Jun 13th 2005 9:16 pm

All NGs so far. :mad:

Englishmum Jun 13th 2005 9:18 pm

Sibsie - you were right.

Not guilty on all counts. :rolleyes:

bah.

sibsie Jun 13th 2005 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Sibsie - you were right.

But I so wish I wasn't. Gutted.

Maz Jun 13th 2005 9:25 pm

It turns my stomach that he's free again...

vegas Jun 13th 2005 9:29 pm

Much like his skin a Whitewash

franc111s Jun 13th 2005 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
It turns my stomach that he's free again...

In your oppinion. 12 people of our peers don't think so and I bet they went in with an open mind too. Hope I never find you on my jury. H'e s weirdo sure, but I never believed for one minute he was guilty - the evidence was pathetic, made up like friggin jackanory.

If we locked up all the weirdo's in Hollywood, I guess the free-ways would be easier to travel on. :beer:

callé Jun 13th 2005 9:34 pm

:mad: Just like OJ. :rolleyes:

Maz Jun 13th 2005 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s
In your oppinion. 12 people of our peers don't think so and I bet they went in with an open mind too. Hope I never find you on my jury.

If we locked up all the weirdo's in Hollywood, I guess the free-ways would be easier to travel on. :beer:

Yes it is absolutely my opinion. That's why I said it turns MY stomach. As much as people can say "I just KNOW he's innocent", they don't know, and I don't know for sure either, but I'm giving my gut reaction. You can say you wouldn't want me on a jury deciding your fate. Makes me wonder what you've got to hide. :D You can bet, though, that after studying law for 3 years at university as part of my degree, that I do know how to sift through evidence. Thanks very much for your one-sided opinion, too. :D

franc111s Jun 13th 2005 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
Yes it is absolutely my opinion. That's why I said it turns MY stomach. As much as people can say "I just KNOW he's innocent", they don't know, and I don't know for sure either, but I'm giving my gut reaction. You can say you wouldn't want me on a jury deciding your fate. Makes me wonder what you've got to hide. :D You can bet, though, that after studying law for 3 years at university as part of my degree, that I do know how to sift through evidence. Thanks very much for your one-sided opinion, too. :D

Fair enough - I'm alone in my household on this one too. My problem is, the arguments for are more on "GUT". My arguments are on legal, evidence, strangeness of the case (changing dates, crime committed after the Bashir video (not before), know perpetual liars, scammers, leechers. His biggest mistake was paying out to the first guy which was common back then. There just wasn't any credible evidence and obviously the 12 people who had their chance to convict, saw that too.

Maz Jun 13th 2005 9:45 pm

Fair enough - I'm alone in my household on this one too. My problem is, the arguments for are more on "GUT". My arguments are on legal, evidence, strangeness of the case (changing dates, crime committed after the Bashir video (not before), know perpetual liars, scammers, leechers. His biggest mistake was paying out to the first guy which was common back then. There just wasn't any credible evidence and obviously the 12 people who had their chance to convict, saw that too.

I completely agree that if he was not guilty, he shouldn't have been settling out of court. To me, and many others (and this is just *my* opinion based on what I've seen), that screams "GUILTY!!"

Still, some blame HAS to be placed with the parents. Who in their right mind would let their kid have a sleepover at Wacko Jacko's?... :eek: :scared:

Elvira Jun 13th 2005 9:46 pm

Luckily, at the end of the day, juries tend to go by the evidence presented to them, not their 'gut' feeling or what they 'believe'. The evidence presented did not prove, beyond all reasonable doubt, that MJ was guilty. So they had to find him innocent.

In any event, the chief prosecution witness is on record of having, on three separate occasions, denied that MJ ever molested him.

TaffyinOK Jun 13th 2005 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Maz

I'm with you Maz. We will probably hear in the coming days how the jury deliberated with all due solemnity upon the facts as they were presented. How they were instructed to consider ONLY the facts presented during the trial. The fact that Jackson stated on national television that he thinks it's perfectly okay to have children sleep in his bed will have absolutely nothing to do with how the jury reached their verdict. The whole fiasco is sickening!

ImHere Jun 13th 2005 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
I'm with you Maz. We will probably hear in the coming days how the jury deliberated with all due solemnity upon the facts as they were presented. How they were instructed to consider ONLY the facts presented during the trial. The fact that Jackson stated on national television that he thinks it's perfectly okay to have children sleep in his bed will have absolutely nothing to do with how the jury reached their verdict. The whole fiasco is sickening!

Which is always the case and how it should be. Thats why juries are isolated during a trial so they cant be swayed by outside influences of biased parties either way.

I think back to the rigged and mispresented cases back in the 70's and 80's that have since been overturned by due process of law (Guildford 4 etc) and how people screamed profaneties at the "guilty" then.