Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Miami V Houston????

Miami V Houston????

Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Miami V Houston????

Hi all, could anyone offer us a little advice pls? We are a Brit ex pat family of 3 currently living in Christchurch NZ. However we have been offered potential transfers to either Miami or Houston (OH works for a large american company)
We have started to research and both places look considerably cheaper on cost of living (we have been advised salary is similar to NZ), but other than that neither of us has any previous experience of living in the states.

Could anyone offer any advice on pros and cons of Miami and/or Houston. We have a 4 year old so will want good schools and good standard of living. We are just struggling to decide between the 2!!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miami V Houston????

Miami is more expensive than Houston. Miami is more cosmopolitan. Houston is probably a slower pace of life. You have the heat to deal with in both cities but Houston gets milder in the winter so you get a break. Education is mixed - you would need to get into a good school district.

I would choose Houston but DH would not touch Texas with a barge pole.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:00 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

NZ or TX? are you off your rocker? What do you like about NZ? Unlikely to find it in texas. There's more to life than money honey
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
NZ or TX? are you off your rocker? What do you like about NZ? Unlikely to find it in texas. There's more to life than money honey
Lol!! Thats the point, we don't like living in NZ hence the transfer options!!! Its not about money, but a cheaper cost of living would be a benefit, actually its mostly about career prospects for my OH and being much nearer to family and friends.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:37 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, we did that.

if you're closer to family and friends, that's a good reason! Is it cheaper? Dunno. Bills keep coming in that surprise me. I would give a lot to try out NZ. I came from SW France and I miss the countryside/mountains/food more than I thought.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Houston would be my vote.

YMMV
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:14 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Houston would be my vote.

YMMV
BUT you're in Colorado!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:15 am
Account Closed

That was not an option.

Anyway snowed last week.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
yeah, we did that.

if you're closer to family and friends, that's a good reason! Is it cheaper? Dunno. Bills keep coming in that surprise me. I would give a lot to try out NZ. I came from SW France and I miss the countryside/mountains/food more than I thought.
Well NZ is a beautiful country to visit as a tourist, but believe me the cost of living (particularly accommodation) is huge. I have also lived all over SW England, in the French alps, Spain and Australia. Trust me NZ is hands down considerably more expensive than any of those and to top it off getting back to Europe for visits is incredibly expensive. For us being nearer the UK and accessible in terms of flights etc is very important.

Are you in Texas then? What I was really hoping for was some pointers on the differences between Houston and Miami.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Miami is VERY Hispanic now, and has a huge and cosmopolitan population from just about every country from Mexico south, and operates as a defacto Latin American city in many respects with many companies operating branches to support expats. There are many foreign banks operating either branches, or have bought an American bank, and market it to serve expats. Latin American performers will do concerts/ shows in Miami but few if any other American cities. And it has become a "bolt hole" of choice for the mega-wealthy because of crime and/or unfavourable tax regimes in their home countries. Miami is only a few miles from being tropical.

Houston, like the rest of Texas also has a large Mexican population, but is not cosmopolitan like Miami. It is certainly less "sophisticated". ..... So in short, personally I don't think either choice is "great". Are there any other possible cities that your husband's employer has locations in?

Both Miami and Houston are at risk of hurricanes, but I would guess that the risk is much greater in Miami.

How do you feel about invasive species of animals, such as ball pythons that can reach 20ft long, and monitor lizards big enough to eat small dogs? ..... And don't forget native alligators.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 6th 2014 at 3:23 am.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bnet36
Miami is more expensive than Houston. Miami is more cosmopolitan. Houston is probably a slower pace of life. You have the heat to deal with in both cities but Houston gets milder in the winter so you get a break. Education is mixed - you would need to get into a good school district.

I would choose Houston but DH would not touch Texas with a barge pole.
Thanks, I think overall we prefer the idea of Houston, but we are city people so the cosmopolitan life does appeal.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Miami is VERY Hispanic now, and has a huge and cosmopolitan population from just about every country from Mexico south, and operates as a defacto Latin American city in many respects with many companies operating branches to support expats. There are many foreign banks operating either branches, or have bought an American bank, and market it to serve expats. Latin American performers will do concerts/ shows in Miami but few if any other American cities. And it has become a "bolt hole" of choice for the mega-wealthy because of crime and/or unfavourable tax regimes in their home countries. Miami is only a few miles from being tropical.

Houston, like the rest of Texas also has a large Mexican population, but is not cosmopolitan like Miami. It is certainly less "sophisticated". ..... So in short, personally I don't think either choice is "great". Are there any other possible cities that your husband's employer has locations in?
Thanks, yes Jacksonville (don't know anything about that) & Fort Myers (although we researched and decided that would be too small for us), but we are fortunate in that we could theoretically go almost anywhere. Which cities do you think are "great" then?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:26 am
Account Closed

As somebody said its a Big Country.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:34 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by bellebellec1
Which cities do you think are "great" then?
New York! LA! course I was young, free and single then..... sorry not getting much sense out of me tonight. I wish you well though xxx
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bellebellec1
Thanks, yes Jacksonville (don't know anything about that) & Fort Myers (although we researched and decided that would be too small for us), but we are fortunate in that we could theoretically go almost anywhere. Which cities do you think are "great" then?
It depends what you want from life and what income you will have available to enjoy it. It depends on whether you want "seasons" and the relative amounts of summer and winter you desire. Do you prefer beaches or mountains, concerts or hiking, barbeque or haute cuisine?

New York was too expensive for me, but others love it, I wouldn't completely rule out returning, but I'd need about four times my current salary before I'd consider it! DC is also pricey, but not as much of a pressure cooker as NY. If I had to choose a big city I'd probably take Chicago, but I don't mind winter, though in Chicago I might get too much of a good thing.