Reload this Page >

MI Driving Licence for non residents

MI Driving Licence for non residents

Old Jun 13th 2003, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

jclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MI Driving Licence for non residents

Hi,

Okay this is maybe a strange situation, but I visit the USA and stay in the company apartment for up to 2 months at a time, on a fairly regualr basis. I do not need a H1B at the moment as I am just visiting our US staff,distributors, providing training and discuss marketing with our partners, I am still a UK resident, am paid in the UK, have an office etc.

Rather than have a hire car all the time I have purchased a car in the USA. The secretary of states office have informed the dealer that it is legal for me to do so, Title is in my name, registered to me at the company apartment address, covered by the company insurance. The SoS office acceped my UK driving licence number for registration purposes, so I am already to pick up the car.

So far so good, all above is legal and confirmed by SoS, no hearsay or friend of a friend stuff.

A local law enforcement friend (state trooper) has informed me that if stopped my UK licence (with passport as it is the good old paper one) will suffice.

I would however like to have a Michigan licence so I dont have to carry PP and DL. SoS office website states that the following documents would be adequate.

1) UK driving licence
2) Passport
3) Birth certificate

But hearsay evidence from friends says "No you will need a visa".

Has anyone ever managed to get a driving licence without a visa ?

Jim
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MI Driving Licence for non residents

Originally posted by jclark
Hi,

Okay this is maybe a strange situation, but I visit the USA and stay in the company apartment for up to 2 months at a time, on a fairly regualr basis. I do not need a H1B at the moment as I am just visiting our US staff,distributors, providing training and discuss marketing with our partners, I am still a UK resident, am paid in the UK, have an office etc.

Rather than have a hire car all the time I have purchased a car in the USA. The secretary of states office have informed the dealer that it is legal for me to do so, Title is in my name, registered to me at the company apartment address, covered by the company insurance. The SoS office acceped my UK driving licence number for registration purposes, so I am already to pick up the car.

So far so good, all above is legal and confirmed by SoS, no hearsay or friend of a friend stuff.

A local law enforcement friend (state trooper) has informed me that if stopped my UK licence (with passport as it is the good old paper one) will suffice.

I would however like to have a Michigan licence so I dont have to carry PP and DL. SoS office website states that the following documents would be adequate.

1) UK driving licence
2) Passport
3) Birth certificate

But hearsay evidence from friends says "No you will need a visa".

Has anyone ever managed to get a driving licence without a visa ?

Jim
It would be best to check the state where you work's Dept. of Motor Vehicles website for information to see what the requirements are for getting a driving license.

Here in NC, it is necessary to show evidence of residence in the state and your circumstances would not make you eligible in NC. However, criteria may be different in Michigan.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jclark ....... Has anyone ever managed to get a driving licence without a visa ? ....
Rules and criteria vary from state to state. You need specific advice from somebody who has obtained a licence in Michigan.

Alternatively do a search on Google for "Michigan DMV" (without the quotes) and find yourself a contact phone number and ask the DMV yourself, then you'll really know.

Just to warn you, some states won't issue a licence unless you have a social security number, so even if you did have a visa it wouldn't necessarily enable you to get a driver's licence.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 5:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Rules and criteria vary from state to state. You need specific advice from somebody who has obtained a licence in Michigan.

Alternatively do a search on Google for "Michigan DMV" (without the quotes) and find yourself a contact phone number and ask the DMV yourself, then you'll really know.

Just to warn you, some states won't issue a licence unless you have a social security number, so even if you did have a visa it wouldn't necessarily enable you to get a driver's licence.
Here is the list of approved documents that you need to show (1 from the primary and 2 from the secondary) - you may not need a SSN. You have to prove residency so are the bills in your name?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/DE...01_20459_7.pdf