Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

Wikiposts

Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

Originally Posted by mandpete
We had to book our appointment 40 days in advance at the Embassy in London last summer. There is no chance of just walking in and expecting it to be done. We then waited 7 days for all 4 passports and visas to be mailed to a UK (my parents) address.

Check this web page for waiting times.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php
Oh yes, I didn't mean I thought I could walk right in, we had to book weeks in advance the first time we got our visa's stamped three years ago.

I was thinking of booking the appointment to coincide with our arrival in London so I didn't have to make an extra trip down there from Liverpool. The wait time for the return of the passports makes it hard as well with the lack of holiday time, it makes it all quite tight time wise, and could also cause issues if the post was delayed.

We are in status, we have the renewal paperwork through, but as we do have to go home for my brother in laws wedding next year we have to get the visa stamps so we can get back in If we were not having to leave the country anyway, it wouldn't be an issue.

As far as I know the requirement to leave the country to get the visa stamp only came into being in the last couple of years, so that is probably how you were able to do it dunroving.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:02 am
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I know there is a visa forum but it's not the visa as much as the experience of going to Mexico for it that I am interested in, has anyone done it?

Hubby just had his H1B renewed and we need to get the visa in the passports. We are going back to the UK in February next year for my brother in laws wedding, and we didn't want to have to go to London to get it done as we'll be heading to Liverpool and getting the visa's in London will mean getting off the overnight flight with four jetlagged and no doubt grumpy children, taking them into London for the visa appt which took four hours last time and then traveling up to Liverpool. It will no doubt be really cold, which after four years in Texas at that point, will probably come as a bit of a shock to the kids and make them even more grumpy

The lawyer mentioned Matamoros, Mexico and suggested we could get the revalidation done there, possibly in just two days so now we are thinking of driving across Texas, stopping at a few places on the way to break the trip up for the kids and then hopping over to Mexico for a few days.

I wondered if anyone had renewed their visa's outside of the country, but not in the UK?
Hi,
We are on L1 visas and did the Matamoros thing 2 years ago. DH work arranged a lawyer to do all the paperwork etc and he actually travelled with us, never really leaving our sides. We flew Dallas to Brownsville via Houston then drove over the border, stayed in a dodgy Best Western then stood in line at 7.45 am with all the mexicans wanting a border pass. Eventually we were called for paperwork, photos and fingerprints. Left at 12pm, drove back over the border with new visas and flew back to Dallas. Took 36 hours start to finish.
You HAVE to have an appointment at the consulate and ours actually run out in April but the next available appointment in Matamoros is (apparently) June!
So we have no visas from April till June therefore we cannot make a trip out of the US.
Don't know if that's much help to you......
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:07 am
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about

Just want to add that Matamoros isn't the kind of place that you'd want to hang around in.............
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsG
Hi,
We are on L1 visas and did the Matamoros thing 2 years ago. DH work arranged a lawyer to do all the paperwork etc and he actually travelled with us, never really leaving our sides. We flew Dallas to Brownsville via Houston then drove over the border, stayed in a dodgy Best Western then stood in line at 7.45 am with all the mexicans wanting a border pass. Eventually we were called for paperwork, photos and fingerprints. Left at 12pm, drove back over the border with new visas and flew back to Dallas. Took 36 hours start to finish.
You HAVE to have an appointment at the consulate and ours actually run out in April but the next available appointment in Matamoros is (apparently) June!
So we have no visas from April till June therefore we cannot make a trip out of the US.
Don't know if that's much help to you......
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. That dodgy Best Western is the hotel closest to the consulate, so was the one we were looking at as well The lawyers have offered to do the travel with us thing but it's $2500 for the principal applicant(hubby) and then $500 per family member so five more more at $500 each, plus flights for us all (looking around $240 each at this point) and then the hotel etc.

For the price the lawyers want we could pay for the trip to England which we are going on anyway.

As hubby's work is not paying for it we were going to drive down there stopping in a few places on the way so it was a bit of a road trip for the kids

The info on Matamoros is great as that is what we were wondering about. Thanks MrsG
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:39 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

What do you need a lawyer for? You pay your cash, usually to an entity such as a bank outside of the embassy. You take the receipt, a couple of mug shots, proof of H1B status, your passport, and a simple form (that can be downloaded ahead of time) to the embassy. You may also optionally take a letter from the employer stating that you are still employed there, a couple of payslips etc to back it up. Nothing to it!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
What do you need a lawyer for? You pay your cash, usually to an entity such as a bank outside of the embassy. You take the receipt, a couple of mug shots, proof of H1B status, your passport, and a simple form (that can be downloaded ahead of time) to the embassy. You may also optionally take a letter from the employer stating that you are still employed there, a couple of payslips etc to back it up. Nothing to it!
I have no idea why we had a lawyer with us. Never asked. We just presumed that was how they did it. Must admit though, we did feel safer with him there.
Sometimes coming back over the border can be a nightmare. Friends of ours were held up for hours while the border patrol/police/whatever questioned them.

Last edited by MrsG; Mar 31st 2006 at 10:19 am.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsG
I have no idea why we had a lawyer with us. Never asked. We just presumed that was how they did it. Must admit though, we did feel safer with him there.
Sometimes coming back over the border can be a nightmare. Friends of ours were held up for ours while the border patrol/police/whatever questioned them.
Hey if you're not paying for the lawyer why not let them tag along?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are you talking about renewing H1b status, or renewing the H1b visa? As far as I know, the latter can only be done outside the US.
Then I think this must have changed. My ever-waning memory aside, I'm pretty sure I had my last visa stamp put in my passport by mailing it with my H1B renewal approval to DC.

[Just checked my passport and H1 visa, and unlike my previous 3 visas, issued in London, London, and Juarez, the latest one was issued in "Department", which I take to confirm it was issued in DC]

Given the choice of Mexico and via mail (I think mine took less than a month), I would mail it to DC if I were you.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Then I think this must have changed. My ever-waning memory aside, I'm pretty sure I had my last visa stamp put in my passport by mailing it with my H1B renewal approval to DC.

[Just checked my passport and H1 visa, and unlike my previous 3 visas, issued in London, London, and Juarez, the latest one was issued in "Department", which I take to confirm it was issued in DC]

Given the choice of Mexico and via mail (I think mine took less than a month), I would mail it to DC if I were you.
No, you don't get the choice to mail it anymore, you have to leave the country and get it stamped elsewhere, preferably your country of origin apparently. They stopped you being able to do it by post in 2004.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I think the lawyers play on the fact that if you go there without them and something goes wrong, you are stuck in Mexico. Perhaps they feel they can help it all to go smoothly. It must be because it's Mexico as they were not offering to fly over to England to help us take in our paperwork when we did it in London

I guess it's handy to have a lawyer with you in Mexico in case of difficulty, if the company is willing to pay for it but unfortunately hubby's company probably wouldn't feel inclined.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
No, you don't get the choice to mail it anymore, you have to leave the country and get it stamped elsewhere, preferably your country of origin apparently. They stopped you being able to do it by post in 2004.
I must have just snuck in under the wire then - the date on mine is April 16, 2004.

That's one of the things that has made it so difficult for me to ever see the US as more "permanent" (i.e., the bloody complexity of the work permit/visa process). It seems a little ridiculous if you receive an H1 renewal (thus saying you have been given the right to work here for another 3 years), that you have to spend part of your next vacation abroad waiting in line at a US embassy (which you may also have to spend considerable time and money getting to) in order to get a visa allowing you to get back in!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
I must have just snuck in under the wire then - the date on mine is April 16, 2004.

That's one of the things that has made it so difficult for me to ever see the US as more "permanent" (i.e., the bloody complexity of the work permit/visa process). It seems a little ridiculous if you receive an H1 renewal (thus saying you have been given the right to work here for another 3 years), that you have to spend part of your next vacation abroad waiting in line at a US embassy (which you may also have to spend considerable time and money getting to) in order to get a visa allowing you to get back in!
It was supposed to be a short term work visa, but due has become a way to immigrant status.

My assumption was that they never expected renewals to be the norm.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It was supposed to be a short term work visa, but due has become a way to immigrant status.

My assumption was that they never expected renewals to be the norm.

Is this why it allows dual intent???
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is this why it allows dual intent???
For those who changed their minds?

If you look at it if you want to work here there are two routes:

1. Immigrant

2. Temporary

My assumption is that the vast majority use the Temporary route whilst wanting the Immigrant route because of the delays.

Very comparable with the current discussions on Guest Worker Programmes, they will be used mainly by those with no intent of leaving. Just ask the Jerries.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
For those who changed their minds?

If you look at it if you want to work here there are two routes:

1. Immigrant

2. Temporary

My assumption is that the vast majority use the Temporary route whilst wanting the Immigrant route because of the delays.

Very comparable with the current discussions on Guest Worker Programmes, they will be used mainly by those with no intent of leaving. Just ask the Jerries.

H1b and L1 DO allow DUAL intent. DUAL meaning either temporary OR immigrant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.