British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mexican Cruise (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mexican-cruise-648171/)

brit-n-yank Jan 9th 2010 2:28 am

Mexican Cruise

I'm a new US citizen who has just applied for her US Passport. Unfortunately hadn't realized how long it takes to issue these - I was told to expect it in four-to-six weeks if I'm lucky.
So, we're booked on a Mexican Cruise in March. We're not flying anywhere - driving to LA, picking up the boat there and doing a round trip of the Mexican Riviera and landing back in LA.
IF I don't have my US passport, and have to use my UK one, is there likely to be a problem re-entering LA from a cruise-ship? Do I even need to show a passport at this point? I know I need one for the cruise, just in case I have to be taken off-ship (in medical emergency etc).
Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any advice? Please?

rebs Jan 9th 2010 3:23 am

Re: Mexican Cruise

Originally Posted by brit-n-yank (Post 8230805)
I'm a new US citizen who has just applied for her US Passport. Unfortunately hadn't realized how long it takes to issue these - I was told to expect it in four-to-six weeks if I'm lucky.
So, we're booked on a Mexican Cruise in March. We're not flying anywhere - driving to LA, picking up the boat there and doing a round trip of the Mexican Riviera and landing back in LA.
IF I don't have my US passport, and have to use my UK one, is there likely to be a problem re-entering LA from a cruise-ship? Do I even need to show a passport at this point? I know I need one for the cruise, just in case I have to be taken off-ship (in medical emergency etc).
Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any advice? Please?

We just did a 4 night Mexican cruise from LA over Christmas and we went through the full monty as far as immigration and customs is concerned on our return to LA - passports checked, fingerprints, photo etc.

Checking in for the cruise was also similar to airline check in - they checked our passports and looked at our L1/2 visas to make sure we would be able to re-enter the US.

ian-mstm Jan 9th 2010 1:00 pm

IF I don't have my US passport, and have to use my UK one, is there likely to be a problem re-entering LA from a cruise-ship?

By law, a USC must use a US passport to enter the US... and if you have a visa in your UK passport, someone's going to start asking questions.

Ian

Marocco Jan 9th 2010 1:03 pm

If you carry your UK passport and US naturalization certificate they'll have to let you in, although you may be given a fine.

meauxna Jan 9th 2010 4:33 pm

That's the boilerplate lingo; most people report getting them back w/in two weeks.
My observation suggests they speed up new citizen applications too. :)

Rete Jan 9th 2010 5:22 pm

I recently renewed mine and got the standard 4 to 6 weeks wait time. Had it within 3 weeks of ordering it via mail.

crg Jan 9th 2010 8:32 pm

There are some exceptions to the passport requirement for "Closed Loop" cruises. See if this information is useful to you:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/in...d_loop_faq.xml

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...go/sea_travel/

It says people can travel with US birth certificates, but it's not clear on natz certificates. The cruise line will be able to tell you.

lansbury Jan 9th 2010 10:34 pm

I applied for my first US passport 3rd December and had it back in under 2 weeks

brit-n-yank Jan 11th 2010 2:04 am

Thanks for all the help and information. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that the passport turns up in time! I'll let you know how it goes.....

Jerseygirl Jan 11th 2010 3:31 am

Originally Posted by brit-n-yank (Post 8236428)
Thanks for all the help and information. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that the passport turns up in time! I'll let you know how it goes.....

There was a thread recently by someone in a similar situation but he had to travel to Canada on business. When going through US Immigration he was sent to secondary and told not to try to enter the US again without a US PP or he would be fined.

BritishGuy36 Jan 11th 2010 6:29 am

I'm a new US citizen who has just applied for her US Passport.

IF I don't have my US passport, and have to use my UK one, is there likely to be a problem re-entering LA from a cruise-ship?

As a US Citizen, it's the law that you must enter the US using the correct document - in this case, a US passport.

As has been said if there's no land stops on this cruise, you're deemed to have never left the US though.

BritishGuy36 Jan 11th 2010 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 8231988)
If you carry your UK passport and US naturalization certificate they'll have to let you in, although you may be given a fine.

The Natz Cert is likely to be at the US passport application office......

Marocco Jan 11th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8236871)
The Natz Cert is likely to be at the US passport application office......

I thought they might return it before sending the passport, as they did here with my UK naturalisation certificate.

Jerseygirl Jan 11th 2010 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 8237290)
I thought they might return it before sending the passport, as they did here with my UK naturalisation certificate.

Mine was returned with the US PP...my husband's was returned separately...it arrived the following day.

crg Jan 11th 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8236868)
As a US Citizen, it's the law that you must enter the US using the correct document - in this case, a US passport.

As has been said if there's no land stops on this cruise, you're deemed to have never left the US though.

There can be land stops, it doesn't have to be a cruise to nowhere. Such cruises can be made with a drivers license and a birth certificate. I just don't know about a natz cert.

This person will likely get the passport on time. The cruise company knows the answer to this question.