Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Metro PCS - Why wouldn't i??

Metro PCS - Why wouldn't i??

Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default Metro PCS - Why wouldn't i??

Hi All, Never posted over here before, had positive interview at London embassy so that my UKC wife and kids (and I as USC) can go live in the US. Which we will be doing in around 10 days!

I have been looking into cell phone plans, we will be living in NJ, we don;t have credit and a lot of cell phone plans are pricey. I have searched on here for Metro PCS but not got a lot back. They offer unlimited voice, text , internet for $40 a month, including tax, plus another $10 for unlimited to inernational landlines. Am I wrong in thinking this is the best thing ever? Any advice based on experience of this company? Thanks!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Metro PCS - Why wouldn't i??

Sorry I don't know anything about this...although my first thoughts were that it seems too good to be true. Cell service is very patchy in my area...Verizon seems to have the best coverage...Metro PCS isn't available.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I don't know anything about this...although my first thoughts were that it seems too good to be true. Cell service is very patchy in my area...Verizon seems to have the best coverage...Metro PCS isn't available.
thats what i'm worried about - too good to be true!?!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

frank, there are two competing companies here running THE most annoying ad campaing; it is driving my H nuts. They both say they are 'the best'. I tried to explain to him that 'the best' is different for each individual. Depending on what service is available where you will *use your phoone the most*, one will be 'better' than the other.
If a thing is cheap, but never works, it's not much of a deal.

You might try a cheap PAYG phone until you get settled, so you don't get locked into a long contract that you don't want. Ask neighbors, co workers, anyone you see with a phone, what service they're on & if they're happy.

I'm sure there is a forum dedicated to it as well.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frank09
Hi All, Never posted over here before, had positive interview at London embassy so that my UKC wife and kids (and I as USC) can go live in the US. Which we will be doing in around 10 days!

I have been looking into cell phone plans, we will be living in NJ, we don;t have credit and a lot of cell phone plans are pricey. I have searched on here for Metro PCS but not got a lot back. They offer unlimited voice, text , internet for $40 a month, including tax, plus another $10 for unlimited to inernational landlines. Am I wrong in thinking this is the best thing ever? Any advice based on experience of this company? Thanks!
Metro PCS, is big in Florida, most people I know have it. its very legit, but if you travel out of your State, you have to pre buy roaming minutes. Also big in GA, my son lives there, most of his friends have it.

Personally, have AT&T Wireless.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Metro PCS, is big in Florida, most people I know have it. its very legit, but if you travel out of your State, you have to pre buy roaming minutes. Also big in GA, my son lives there, most of his friends have it.

Personally, have AT&T Wireless.

Reg. Frank R.
Hello Frank.

Looking at the plans on their website it show that all plans include 'Unlimited Nationwide Long Distance' calls. I guess roaming charges are a hidden extra.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello Frank.

Looking at the plans on their website it show that all plans include 'Unlimited Nationwide Long Distance' calls. I guess roaming charges are a hidden extra.
Hi Jersey, yes you can call unlimited Nationwide, but you must be in the State where your service is, when making & receiving the call. If you go out of your State, you need to pre buy travel minutes. Most of our sons friends at UGA, seem to have it. Most people I meet here in Florida have it.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the advice. I'll be staying withinthe NJ NY area mostly and the coverage area seems good from their website so it looks like something we can try without being locked into anything v long term, and can give us a chance to build our credit elswhere and then get a "real" cell phone.

Its funny, it's been so long since I lived in the US my last cell phone contract was with MCI who no longer provide cellphone service, and apparently havent for years!

Last edited by frank09; Feb 11th 2010 at 6:49 am.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for the advice. I'll be staying withinthe NJ NY area mostly and the coverage area seems good from their website so it looks like something we can try without being locked into anything v long term, and can give us a chance to build our credit elswhere and then get a "real" cell phone.

Its funny, it's been so long since I lived in the US my last cell phone contract was with MCI who no longer provide cellphone service, and apparently havent for years!
I remember the bombardment of MCI adverts. I recall they were one of the biggest "Slammers", always in trouble. Then again, they were very innovative & forced the Government to break up the communications, monopoly.
Think WorldCom, took them over, they are still out there, selling Long Distance.

WorldCom, now there is a dirty world.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by frrussre
I remember the bombardment of MCI adverts. I recall they were one of the biggest "Slammers", always in trouble. Then again, they were very innovative & forced the Government to break up the communications, monopoly.
Think WorldCom, took them over, they are still out there, selling Long Distance.

WorldCom, now there is a dirty world.

Reg. Frank R.
Funny thing happened with me and MCI Worldcom. As we were moving they were going bust and I had a dispute over charges on my phone that was something close to $1,000 and they agreed to investgate it. A week later they went bust and then I got a letter saying that I owed nothing!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Funny thing happened with me and MCI Worldcom. As we were moving they were going bust and I had a dispute over charges on my phone that was something close to $1,000 and they agreed to investgate it. A week later they went bust and then I got a letter saying that I owed nothing!
Sounds, like a result. MCI, was run like, a stall in the market, "Buyer beware". They were big time slammers & promised low charges, everyone had billing complaints. I had, AT&T LD & Nynex (Verizon) for local, never changed until I came to FL.

Reg. Frank R.