Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Originally Posted by robin1234
You should reach out to him.
Originally Posted by Nutek
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Originally Posted by Nutek
Which circle are you in?
The very bottom one.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The very bottom one.
Treachery?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Treachery?
Traitors to intelligence The worst.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
And this thread for the end of year polls.
Hi everyone
I haven't on the BE for a while ( I am usually on the Canada thread) but do ocassionally lurk on the USA and other threads, however, this has to be the most entertaining thread of the year so far. It gets my vote, its just too funny, ok but there are some serious topics to be discussed in between .

Where has YP gone? I was looking forward to his posts.

Hi Christmasoompa. hope you are well.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeePride
On the other hand, it occurs to me that overlooked in the criticism about health care is the fact that the U.S. has also pioneered worker safety measures; pioneered product safety and child safety regulations; abandoned a lot of industrial practices that were damaging to people and the environment; encourages (at some level) developing countries to improve working conditions and environmental practices; is probably the easiest country in the world in which to sue corporations for discrimination, deceptive advertising, injury, malpractice, shoddy workmanship and the like; and led the world in anti-smoking education and initiatives, banning smoking in a lot of places so workers wouldn’t be forced to breathe smoke against their will. Maybe some Europeans would prefer shorter maternity leaves in exchange for not having to suck down other people’s smoke during the pregnancy. There are a lot of positive things about the U.S. approach to healthy living. The U.S. is not indifferent to the needs of workers.
Other than the ease of suing, which is general and not specific to discrimination, deceptive advertising, injury, malpractice, shoddy workmanship, I'm not sure any of the other items are actually true. Anecdotal it seems to me that the US regulations regarding worker, product and child safety are some of the weakest in the developed world. Same thing goes for workers and consumer rights. There are some positive things about the U.S approach to healthy living but by and large it it puts emphasis in the wrong areas and ignores the beneficial ones.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie!!! how to get a visa questions ):

Originally Posted by YankeePride
Happy to amuse, Civil Servant! Most amusing in BE history with my very first post! SCORE!

I've dated the British, if that counts for knowledge.

Pick whatever verb you want to replace "governed." I'm well aware you have a parliament and a prime minister, but you also have a bunch of people you pay obscene amounts of tax money to to run around Vegas taking their clothes off. And you're considered their "subjects," whatever the hell that means. And you're expected to bow down to one of them, as if she were a god.That I know about Britain. I'm not doing any curtsies for American politicians, I can tell you that. Worshipping human beings is a way more dangerous export.

Where did I deny the U.S. had social problems? My point was, if you came here expecting all roses and no thorns, and you thought all the successes of American industry came without a price, you are probably wiser to seek that utopia elsewhere.

I live in Massachusetts, where health insurance is mandatory, and state-subsidized for those who can't afford it. So no one here has to sacrifice health care for sunshine. That's part of my point – pick your states wisely and do your research before moving here, not on the plane ride back home.
Because the US is touted as the "land of the free", "land of milk and honey" etc, etc... it's a bit of a shock when someone finds it really isn't true. I'm American and I can remember being brought up that this was the "best country in the world!" yet when I stepped out of the country for 5 years and then came back to look at it through different eyes, I was amazed at how great it really wasn't.

When I moved to the UK, I had preconceived notions, I mean who doesn't? I had a decent life there, got married, had a baby. But I was homesick for people I left behind, a way of life I thought I knew and everything familiar. But my bubble burst when I got back here.

At any rate, I now have a foot in each country and always will. Our daughter is a dual citizen and I want her to be proud of both of her countries.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

It always amazes me when foreigners talk about the Royal Family being a political leader of the UK and wondering why we pay them so much money for doing nothing!

Why would anyone want to get rid of our biggest tourist attraction? As has been mentioned,a 1 pound contribution from every citizen is nothing compared to the amount of money they bring into the Country, I would compare them to Disney here in the US!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
It always amazes me when foreigners talk about the Royal Family being a political leader of the UK and wondering why we pay them so much money for doing nothing!

Why would anyone want to get rid of our biggest tourist attraction? As has been mentioned,a 1 pound contribution from every citizen is nothing compared to the amount of money they bring into the Country, I would compare them to Disney here in the US!
I find it hilarious that Americans fought to over throw rule by the British monarchy and then make such a fuss about what they do. Then they come to the UK to see what they threw away and we get to make money selling them McDonalds, Coca-Cola etc at greatly inflated prices.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I find it hilarious that Americans fought to over throw rule by the British monarchy and then make such a fuss about what they do. Then they come to the UK to see what they threw away and we get to make money selling them McDonalds, Coca-Cola etc at greatly inflated prices.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Why would anyone want to get rid of our biggest tourist attraction?
And the tat magazines would have nothing to write about and I would have nothing to read about while I am standing in the queue at the checkout in Meijer!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

be fair .. the US did get the German enigma machine nearly first

they invented the hovercraft and the bouncing bomb nearly first
and probably the Hovis loaf

Even the man who discoverd DNA .had spent two weeks in
florida

Last edited by Ray; Apr 1st 2013 at 9:16 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:58 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Hi,

I've just come back from London, we went to Buckingham Palace and on the London Eye. All our family really loved it there so much we want to move. I'm a painter and my wife is a hairdresser. What do we need to do to get a visa?

Thanks.

Billy Bob
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Hi,

I've just come back from London, we went to Buckingham Palace and on the London Eye. All our family really loved it there so much we want to move. I'm a painter and my wife is a hairdresser. What do we need to do to get a visa?

Thanks.

Billy Bob
Write to the Tate Modern. They still have some empty wall space, and your paintings will probably be at least as good as the ones they already have.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
b
Even the man who discoverd DNA .had spent two weeks in
florida
One of the two men that did discover it was American - Watson.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.