Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:03 am
Just Joined

YankeePride has a spectacular aura aboutYankeePride has a spectacular aura aboutYankeePride has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newbie!!! how to get a visa questions ):

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You need to brush up on your geography as well, mind you coming from a country where 25% of the people couldn't place the USA on a map that's not too surprizing. India ia A country, there are NO other countries in India.
Sorry, typed that without thinking of precise wording. What I meant was the entire British Empire in India, which I believe was divided into at least two separate states or provinces. I believe that a number of the names and maybe even boundaries have changed since the time of the Raj.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeePride
You can find out deserts are hot, and that Arizona and Texas are Republican, without living in them.
You can find out the average temperature range of a region before you move there, yes, but if you have never lived in a similar climate before you may not know how well it is going to suit you. You can find out about the political leaning of a place but not necessarily understand how it will impact on your daily life and your interaction with the people. You can read about public services etc. without appreciating how well (or otherwise) they function until you have had cause to use them yourself. The nuances of 'culture' (whatever that term really encompasses) are learned over time. And so on.

But as I say, I've only lived in 4 countries, so what do I know?

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Mar 17th 2013 at 11:10 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:12 am
Just Joined

YankeePride has a spectacular aura aboutYankeePride has a spectacular aura aboutYankeePride has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by civilservant
Thia I will happily agree with. My congressman said that science was evil and contry to the word of god last year.... needless to say I dont agree with this statement...
Glad we finally have a point of agreement, CS!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You can find out deserts are hot, and that Arizona and Texas are Republican, without living in them.
and that there are more cults, more private armies and more people prepared to blame their own government for perpetrating all the atrocities that have happened in the USA over the last 30+ years.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
You can find out the average temperature range of a region before you move there, yes, but if you have never lived in a similar climate before you may not know how well it is going to suit you. You can find out about the political leaning of a place but not necessarily understand how it will impact on your daily life and your interaction with the people. You can read about public services etc. without appreciating how well (or otherwise) they function until you have had cause to use them yourself. The nuances of 'culture' (whatever that term really encompasses) are learned over time. And so on.

But as I say, I've only lived in 4 countries, so what do I know?
And that's fine, but the crux of my point was not to move to a desert and condemn all of America because it doesn't rain.

Make the best of the heat, move to a cooler state, or move back to Britain, but understand that YOU made choices that affected your experience here.

When I lived in France, there were Americans who were crying because they were homesick. I wasn't. I was out partying, man. There are pros and cons to wherever you are. France – some memorably crappy holes in the floor to pee in, but dirt cheap wine to generate the piss. Which are you going to focus on?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

And that's fine, but the crux of my point was not to move to a desert and condemn all of America because it doesn't rain.

Make the best of the heat, move to a cooler state, or move back to Britain, but understand that YOU made choices that affected your experience here.

When I lived in France, there were Americans who were crying because they were homesick. I wasn't. I was out partying, man. There are pros and cons to wherever you are. France – some memorably crappy holes in the floor to pee in, but dirt cheap wine to generate the piss. Which are you going to focus on?
I broadly agree with you that knowing what you are getting into and having a positive attitude has a significant impact on what you get out of a place. I have certainly found that to be true in my case, anyway. I do think it shows a lack of empathy, however, to say: 'you chose it; live with it'. People have to make all kinds of choices to do with where they live, work, family etc. and each of those choices affects the others in varying ways, meaning that they can have negative consequences as well as positive ones. I don't hold it against people because they moan about the negative ones sometimes.

In fact, the many Americans I knew when I was still living in the UK were forever whining about little things, from the weather to chip and pin technology, to the dearth of massive Walmart-type supermarkets in the middle of historic town centres, to the small fridges and the fact that the sinks in many old buildings don't have combination hot/cold faucets! Which makes me wonder whether it is just human nature to complain about things we aren't used to and, furthermore, whether it is really worth the effort to rail against it.

At any rate, I'm signing off now to go out and enjoy a rare sunny day in the middle of this long winter.....
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

If I had my way, the monarchy would be abolished. However, what you apparently don't know about Britain is that the monarchy's existence has no practical impact on the daily lives of the overwhelming majority of the population. Which is presumably why issues that do, such as employment conditions and healthcare, are the ones that feature when people compare their lives in the two countries.
B.S. that the monarchy's existence has no practical impact on the daily lives of the population. You don't think it affects the psyche, even subconsciously, of somebody who has a "lesser" accent, or different skin color, or nontraditional religion to know there's an enormous position of privilege and wealth in their homeland to which they can effectively never aspire? Is their only hope at this point to get Harry to put a ring on it?

Paying taxes to sustain what appears to me to be utter discrimination doesn't affect the daily life and morale of a person who works hard for their money to support that which looks down on them? Mitt Romney got tossed for looking down on his subjects.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

B.S. that the monarchy's existence has no practical impact on the daily lives of the population. [...]
Apparently you're the expert then, so I don't know why you would need to ask someone who grew up there (and who has a "lesser" accent and no religion) about it.

Bye .
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

I dont, simply because the British do not look at positions of power (perceived power anyway) as the be all and end all to aspirations that the Americans do.

We dont all want to be middle class (By the way $250,000? Do me a favour). Or a CEO. Or a King. We're happy to do our jobs and go home.

You will never understand this, because you didn't grow up with it. Comparing MItt Romney and QE2, I dont even have a response that would do justice to that statement!

The irony of this thread is that you originally attacked Brits for criticizing (essentially) what they didnt understand, and in trying to make that point you are now replicating the beheviour.

Last edited by civilservant; Mar 17th 2013 at 12:21 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

I broadly agree with you that knowing what you are getting into and having a positive attitude has a significant impact on what you get out of a place. I have certainly found that to be true in my case, anyway. I do think it shows a lack of empathy, however, to say: 'you chose it; live with it'. People have to make all kinds of choices to do with where they live, work, family etc. and each of those choices affects the others in varying ways, meaning that they can have negative consequences as well as positive ones. I don't hold it against people because they moan about the negative ones sometimes.

In fact, the many Americans I knew when I was still living in the UK were forever whining about little things, from the weather to chip and pin technology, to the dearth of massive Walmart-type supermarkets in the middle of historic town centres, to the small fridges and the fact that the sinks in many old buildings don't have combination hot/cold faucets! Which makes me wonder whether it is just human nature to complain about things we aren't used to and, furthermore, whether it is really worth the effort to rail against it.

At any rate, I'm signing off now to go out and enjoy a rare sunny day in the middle of this long winter.....
I'm not saying, "You chose it, live with it." I completely support moving on from choices you're not happy with. I do it all the time.

I also support trying to change the health care system or the employment system or whatever you think needs to be fixed. And I think foreigners have a lot of useful perspective to offer Americans on societal improvements we could make. But to me a lot of the complaining seems like when people gripe about their spouses or significant others, harping on their faults morning, noon and night, yet never leave. At some point you have to decide to accept them for what they are, or move on and find somebody who makes you happy.

Life to me is about a quest for happiness. Maybe if you fume at the desert skies long enough they'll rain for you. But probably not. So how much of your life are you prepared to spend in resentment before you pack up and move on? I don't have a lack of empathy; I have a pragmatism about how life works.

As someone who grew up absorbing a lot of negativity from someone who had nothing good to say about America (but somehow later returned here to stay despite the option to leave), I think everyone should concentrate on finding happiness, wherever it lies, so others around you can feed off your positive energy. Your children may be learning lessons you don't mean to teach them.

Enjoy the sun.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone should concentrate on finding happiness, wherever it lies, so others around you can feed off your positive energy. Your children may be learning lessons you don't mean to teach them.

Enjoy the sun.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Message to British Expats (Split from the Newbie how to get a visa thread)

Originally Posted by civilservant
I dont, simply because the British do not look at positions of power (perceived power anyway) as the be all and end all to aspirations that the Americans do.

We dont all want to be middle class (By the way $250,000? Do me a favour). Or a CEO. Or a King. We're happy to do our jobs and go home.

You will never understand this, because you didn't grow up with it. Comparing MItt Romney and QE2, I dont even have a response that would do justice to that statement!

The irony of this thread is that you originally attacked Brits for criticizing (essentially) what they didnt understand, and in trying to make that point you are now replicating the beheviour.
I really don't understand most of what you're talking about. I don't understand what's offensive about comparing two leadership-type positions to each other. The queen may not strictly be a leader, but she serves somewhat of that purpose. Otherwise what do people pay her for and celebrate holidays in her honor for? She's a leader of sorts. What's so offensive about calling her that?

And I can confidently sit in America and tell you from here that it's statistically impossible that every single person in Britain is happy to just do their jobs and go home.

Tell me what it is you think I don't understand about monarchs.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Apparently you're the expert then, so I don't know why you would need to ask someone who grew up there (and who has a "lesser" accent and no religion) about it.

Bye .
"Lesser" isn't coming from me. That's just my understanding from British people. I love ALL British accents, sweetie. Listening to Tracey Ullman speak about America years ago was actually the first time I recall ever finding out that accents have a different place in British society than they do here.

BUT, I found out from reading online that loving British accents is evidently another American no-no. Seems a number of you take secret umbrage when Americans compliment your accents, so I will remember to no longer do that in real life.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

This entire site has been so eye-opening for me. I have so many questions. I picked my screen name because we Americans get BASHED on here. I'm not normally the flag-waving type, but finding out so many people in the world seem to dislike us really perks up my pride even more.

British ExPats Website doesn't have enough Bandwith to list the reasons why
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
British ExPats Website doesn't have enough Bandwith to list the reasons why
Good thing I decided to hover over that emoticon and found out it was a wink, 'cause you were about to get it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.