British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Merged Dealing with snow - plow, blower or shovel? & how do you clear your driveway (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/merged-dealing-snow-plow-blower-shovel-how-do-you-clear-your-driveway-815089/)

WEBlue Sep 11th 2013 3:04 pm

Snow country USA--how do you clear your driveway in the winter?

Just curious about how people handle this.

We've just bought a house in New England. :)

Speedwell Sep 11th 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Snow country USA--how do you clear your driveway in the winter?

When my family lived in snow country, my father's answer would have been, "Buy three shovels and hand them to the kids."

jeffreyhy Sep 11th 2013 3:23 pm

I shovel it myself when necessary, though I may not be able to keep it up for may more years and would probably have given up already if I had a larger driveway or lived in New England or other far northern state. As it is, there are more times when I have to spread salt to melt the ice than shovel snow.

Regards, JEff

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2013 3:51 pm

Ya missed the obvious option ..... Move :p:D:scarper:

Jerseygirl Sep 11th 2013 4:05 pm

We used to clear it ourselves using snowblower/shovels until last winter...then we got it plowed..

sir_eccles Sep 11th 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10896019)
Ya missed the obvious option ..... Move :p:D:scarper:

High five!

robin1234 Sep 11th 2013 4:33 pm

We shovel it, but also we park both cars less than six feet from the road, so pretty much all we have to shovel is the bank the plow throws up. I shovel a pedestrian path from the house to the cars, but it's only one shovel width wide.

SultanOfSwing Sep 11th 2013 4:40 pm

I shovel it myself. We don't have a big driveway and it doesn't take that long. If it snows while I'm at work, I have my son carve me out a car-width path so I can get in the garage then I take over.

I work for a company who does snow removal - as a larger company, we're really geared towards multi-residence HOAs or commercial/municipal sites. The pricing for a single residence for driveways and paths is just too much, unless you go with one of the smaller guys but then a big storm can back them up to the point where you might end up getting missed, even for the simple reason that they can't actually get to you because of the roads.

Much easier just to do my own :nod:

Karrie72 Sep 11th 2013 4:42 pm

We have a long driveway so really need a plow guy. Neighbors have those snowblower things but I couldn't be bothered doing that.

Peter525839 Sep 11th 2013 4:51 pm

Same as last post. We hire a plow as the driveway is long and i'm too old to shovel or snowblow it all
I use the snowblower for around the cars and shovel the path
Last year in MA we were lucky as most storms came on Friday, work was cancelled or at weekend.
It is no fun getting up at 5am or earlier and heading out in the dark to clear away snow
Anyone who can invent a better way than any of the above will be a billionaire and don't say chemicals

robin1234 Sep 11th 2013 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Peter525839 (Post 10896145)
Same as last post. We hire a plow as the driveway is long and i'm too old to shovel or snowblow it all
I use the snowblower for around the cars and shovel the path
Last year in MA we were lucky as most storms came on Friday, work was cancelled or at weekend.
It is no fun getting up at 5am or earlier and heading out in the dark to clear away snow
Anyone who can invent a better way than any of the above will be a billionaire and don't say chemicals

Thank God we live in the US though. In England they have several different types of snow, which must complicate matters.

celticgrid Sep 11th 2013 5:03 pm

We hire a plow guy. He also happens to be our lawn guy so we get a good rate - and the contract covers repairs to any lawn damage done while plowing.

Just to note...he loves doing plowing and hates doing lawns; wishes it would snow all year round!

lizzyq Sep 11th 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 10896157)
Thank God we live in the US though. In England they have several different types of snow, which must complicate matters.

and they are all the wrong sort of snow :rofl:

robin1234 Sep 11th 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 10896187)
and they are all the wrong sort of snow :rofl:

I thought only some of them were :unsure:

kins Sep 11th 2013 7:12 pm

Pay the plough guy $35 then get my 8 year old to snow blow the front path then I shovel what's left. We have a long drive...