Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Merged Dealing with snow - plow, blower or shovel? & how do you clear your driveway

View Poll Results: How do you clear your drive of snow?
Pay someone else to shovel, plow or snowblow
17.14%
Clear it yourself (plow, snowblower, etc.)
25.71%
Shovel it yourself
42.86%
Other
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Merged Dealing with snow - plow, blower or shovel? & how do you clear your driveway

Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow country USA--how do you clear your driveway in the winter?

Originally Posted by AilsWallace
How much snow are we talking about here?!?!?!?!
It depends on where you live and the weather conditions in a given season.

Here (NE Illinois, near the Wisconsin state line), last year we had no measurable snow until February 2. Between then and mid-March, we had about 40" of snow in all on average. The most snow that fell in a single season since I've been here was 2007/08, where there was a reported 92" at our nearest weather station. The most that fell in one event since I was here was the blizzard of 2011, when 22"+ of snow fell in the Chicago area between February 1 and 2

Excuse the statto crap, I've worked for landscapers that do snow removal, doing the billing, since I started working in the US, so I'm very involved in the snow seasons and I tend to know how much falls and when ...

On average, unless I'm quick to respond, I'll usually find myself shoveling about 2-4 inches off my drive on the morning after a snowfall.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

AilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond repute

Am hoping NJ is a little lighter than your part of the world then.
We've got some snow shovels with us from the last couple of winters over in the UK and the husband is actually looking forward to clearing our own wee driveway.
Apparently they have had the first snow of the year up in the Cairngorms...everyone, get your skis on!!

Last edited by AilsWallace; Sep 12th 2013 at 3:33 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Am hoping NJ is a little lighter than your part of the world then.
I wouldn't count on it. I have heard that snow can be worse in the northeast than here. It'll depend on the various air currents at play, of course.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

AilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I wouldn't count on it. I have heard that snow can be worse in the northeast than here. It'll depend on the various air currents at play, of course.
oh bugger...ah well, at least I can improve on my snowman construction skills then
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:43 pm
I have a comma problem

oh bugger...ah well, at least I can improve on my snowman construction skills then
There you go.

Of course, you could end up with a warmer winter, or one with less precipitation. It can be quite inconsistent, even within a region, much less nationwide.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Salt is better because it actually lowers the freezing point of water so it allows the snow to melt at temperatures much lower than 32F.
Aye, it's much better...and also easier to wash off than the grit mix which sticks to everything.

It is more expensive though and it does attract the animals to the side of the roads and with the motorways and most roads not having lighting around here, that's a big cause for quite a few accidents.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's been pretty bad for the past two years from DC and northern Virginia all the way up into New England, with several major snow storms including one doozy where two storm systems merged over Pennsylvania, coming from the south and west.

In the winter of 2001-2002 I was living in the northern suburbs of NYC, and we saw snow twice, of which the worse by far was the 3" that fell one Saturday morning from mid-morning to early afternoon.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 12th 2013 at 3:48 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

There you go.

Of course, you could end up with a warmer winter, or one with less precipitation. It can be quite inconsistent, even within a region, much less nationwide.
The husband has a weather station packed up in our shipping container. He's dying to get it set up so he can start watching the weather here on the east coast.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Am hoping NJ is a little lighter than your part of the world then

Oh you would be so wrong.

Chuck those shovels from the UK out in the bin and get proper snow shovels, preferably the ones with metal head and sharpened edge, will make life easier and quicker and you'll do well to get one with a bend in the handle as it won't kill the back as much.

It's all about momentum, depending on the snow, you either run it down or chuck it to the side as fast as you can as you motor down the driveway.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, it's been pretty bad for the past two years from DC and northern Virginia all the way up into New England, with several major snow storms including one doozy where two storm systems merged over Pennsylvania, coming from the south and west.

In the winter of 2001-2002 I was living in the northern suburbs of NYC, and we saw snow twice, of which the worse by far was the 3" that fell one Saturday morning from mid-morning to early afternoon.
It's the ice storms that are the killer, or the freezing rain. They do so much damage and knock the power out for so long.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:50 pm
I have a comma problem

I think it would be much worse here if we didn't have that stretch in January/February where it gets down below 10F and lower for an extended period. I'm just making an educated guess here but out by you I'd assume it doesn't get that cold, or at least not for as long as it can here.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh you would be so wrong.

Chuck those shovels from the UK out in the bin and get proper snow shovels, preferably the ones with metal head and sharpened edge, will make life easier and quicker and you'll do well to get one with a bend in the handle as it won't kill the back as much.

It's all about momentum, depending on the snow, you either run it down or chuck it to the side as fast as you can as you motor down the driveway.
top tip! thanks,.. will keep an eye out for those.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 4:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's the ice storms that are the killer, or the freezing rain. They do so much damage and knock the power out for so long.
Yeah, it's the ice storms that are the bigger threat round here too, though there hasn't been a major one since the winter of 2002-2003, thankfully. There was a very destructive one in December 2002, but that was just before I moved here. A few weeks later in early 2003 I went out to my car (I was still living in a hotel at the time), and it looked like my car had been frozen inside a giant ice cube. There was a solid, and eerily clear ½" layer of ice covering the whole car. Even the doors wouldn't pop open with the remote. In the following ten years it has never been that bad.
..... I'm just making an educated guess here but out by you I'd assume it doesn't get that cold, or at least not for as long as it can here.
You'd be correct, the overnight low temperatures during the winter are comparable to those in the UK most of the time, with anything below 20°F being relatively unusual, and below 15°F is headed for record low (for the day) territory. The big difference though is how much warmth the sun brings because I am so much further south thank the UK, which is why the snow usually melts on the same day.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 12th 2013 at 4:20 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Denver and the north are under water (snow that melts)
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:54 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Understood, it's similar round here at least some of the time, but there has to be a water phase, ice cannot sublimate at anything close to normal atmospheric pressure. It would have to be about 0.006 atmospheres or less for sublimation to occur.
The vapor pressure does not go to zero as you drop past the freezing temperature. Although the bulk of the ice will stay in the solid form at any given moment, the surface will sublime slowly as long as the quantity of airborne moisture in contact with the ice stays below the vapor pressure. This gets accelerated greatly with wind, which takes the airborne moisture away to keep the system out of equilibrium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.