Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

mental health and addiction nursing oppertunities in florida

mental health and addiction nursing oppertunities in florida

Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice
Default mental health and addiction nursing oppertunities in florida

Hi all and sorry this may be a well tread thread (crikey it rhymes!)
I am trying to assess what nursing opportunities are available in Florida for a british psych nurse,
Im sure I have seen posts available especially in addictions and veterans affairs
I am no stranger to emigrating having worked in Australia and have spent the last 2 years nursing managing in British Columbia where I am currently living.
can anyone comment?
Thanks Steve
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mental health and addiction nursing oppertunities in florida

Originally Posted by scliffe
can anyone comment?
Lots of jobs available... but no visas.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

have a search of the forums, plenty of info and talk about what's needed to get squared away.

The issue is visa retrogression, meaning you having to wait years before a visa will come up.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're an RGN it's a non-starter I'm afraid. The US does not recognise RMN. All psych nurses are what we call here "generalists" meaning they are plain old Registered Nurses who have gone on to work in psych.

Then there's that old chestnut already mentioned........the elusive appropriate visa.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:47 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus, you won't get work at the VA unless you're a US citizen.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:42 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scliffe
Hi all and sorry this may be a well tread thread (crikey it rhymes!)
I am trying to assess what nursing opportunities are available in Florida for a british psych nurse,
Im sure I have seen posts available especially in addictions and veterans affairs
I am no stranger to emigrating having worked in Australia and have spent the last 2 years nursing managing in British Columbia where I am currently living.
can anyone comment?
Thanks Steve
Sorry Steve not happening If you have to done the old RGN training to get in sort of easily here, (even then it isn't ) I was the last set in 1990 in my hospital, that qualifies! trust me I know as one good friend who is an USC qualified a year after me and it took her 5 years to qualify in the US and she had her nursing diploma and degree in oncology, she worked in bars for a year before she came back to the UK, so she could earn decent money, just traveling home for exams and a few months here and there for courses.
She was a USC imagine your journey for that?
she did general as in adult, but the US insists on 8 weeks metal health, 8 weeks pediatrics, 8 weeks maternity, etc amongst others and as a metal health nurse! sorry! not recognized as a nurse