Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Memphis, TN info

Memphis, TN info

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Question Memphis, TN info

My OH unexpectedly got a call to see if he is interested in a job in Memphis. I can't see much in the wiki or past threads, can anyone offer any thoughts about what it's like there?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Memphis, TN info

Hi , Ihave worked around Memphis a few times , its not a bad place , just got to watch where you go ! Germantown area is good and safe , malls etc , obviuosly Beale street for entertainment , Graceland etc . I worked in some pretty dubious areas when i was there , doing bank installs/remodels , and we had to have armed guards at all times , so steer clear of certain places , its very hot in summer , not sure when you would be going ? good airport , and Little Rock is 2 hrs away which is where i lived , worth a ride out , but a bad road to get there , mainly two lanes i-40 . Hope this helps a little .
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Andy, he would be at the university which appears to be in a place called Normal Station.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Hope someone comes along with more info for you soon I was just thinking about you yesterday as my husband was asked to take a look at UCal's physics grad program at Riverside. I thought cool I'll be able to visit Sally
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nethead View Post
I was just thinking about you yesterday as my husband was asked to take a look at UCal's physics grad program at Riverside. I thought cool I'll be able to visit Sally
That will be great!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
That will be great!
I don't think we can afford to move to CA though
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nethead View Post
I don't think we can afford to move to CA though
They have some T-shirts in Target with the various states, ours says, "California - You can't afford it"
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

They have some T-shirts in Target with the various states, ours says, "California - You can't afford it"
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

So true. Hmmm I wonder what the PA one would say I'm going to be spending the rest of afternoon trying to come up with something now!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:30 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Andy, he would be at the university which appears to be in a place called Normal Station.
Are you talking about the University of Memphis? My best friend went to law school there but I've never heard of Normal Station so you might mean somewhere else. Or I am behind the times :P

There are parts of town to avoid like any other big cities and I do think people are the way they are in most big, Southern cities (friendly and more cosmopolitan than you may think). There could be worse places to have to go, that's for sure. But it isn't my favorite big city in our fine state.

Last edited by TracyTN; Nov 23rd 2010 at 7:34 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:00 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

How can YOU live somewhere called Normal.....
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

city-data.com is a great place to look for info, especially when there's college towns about....but look into the bounce effect if the job disappears, how much of a "in the shit" situation you'll be in before considering a cross country relocation...you've got quite a hub of colleges up your way, no idea of the quality down in TN...could be great for all I know, but it's the first thing I look at, dodged a couple of bullets with that in mind
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TracyTN View Post
Are you talking about the University of Memphis? My best friend went to law school there but I've never heard of Normal Station so you might mean somewhere else. Or I am behind the times :P

There are parts of town to avoid like any other big cities and I do think people are the way they are in most big, Southern cities (friendly and more cosmopolitan than you may think). There could be worse places to have to go, that's for sure. But it isn't my favorite big city in our fine state.
Yes, University of Memphis. I don't actually know where it's located, I just looked that up when Andy asked me and probably got it wrong

It doesn't sound like the most exciting place in the USA
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
How can YOU live somewhere called Normal.....
They'd have to change the name

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
city-data.com is a great place to look for info, especially when there's college towns about....but look into the bounce effect if the job disappears, how much of a "in the shit" situation you'll be in before considering a cross country relocation...you've got quite a hub of colleges up your way, no idea of the quality down in TN...could be great for all I know, but it's the first thing I look at, dodged a couple of bullets with that in mind
Good point, it does look a long way from other places.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:12 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby says go for it, he wants to visit Gracelands.

Sorry, thats all I can offer
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Hubby says go for it, he wants to visit Gracelands.

Sorry, thats all I can offer
"Thang you very much"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.